Old 01-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
Shakedown Advice

Picking up a new 26U Twin Airstream in a couple of weeks (Hoo Haa!!). Tremendously excited about the journey we are about to go on as Airstream owners. Realize everything won't be perfect with the new trailer and would appreciate some advice on shakedown trips, how to approach the shakedown process, any check lists used to methodically go through all the main interior and exterior components etc. Hope I'm in the right forum.

Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
"General Repairs" might not be the best place to post this (try the Airstream Lifestyle area.) But here are my 2 cents worth anyway....

Assuming you can legally do this (pesky homeowner associations and all) I would suggest first spending a few nights camping in your driveway (or that of a friend's with a less fussy HOA if need be.) This way you can get the feel of things and do some "debugging" while being close to your "life raft." Try all the systems (hot water heater on propane, AC, propane heater, Fridge on propane, use the range, oven, radio, TV, etc..) You might discover some major warranty item that should be fixed before you head out in the world or some operational questions for your dealer. At a minimum, you can figure out how everything works in a low risk setting. Then head out to a campground that is reasonably close to home (within 1/2 hour is ideal) so you can try "real" camping but can still run home to get the salt shaker or toilet paper that you forgot to bring. After both of these episodes, you are ready for your first real trip. I'm sure that others will chime in with other excellent suggestions.

And of course, keep your sense of humor and have fun!!!

The above advice is based on my assumption that you are complete newbies to RV camping. If you are seasoned veterans, then I would just do the driveway thing to see what needs to be fixed by your dealer.

Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Shakedown Advice

Here's the new trailer checklist we'll be using the next time we buy an Airstream. Hope it helps!

Congratulations and best wishes on your new baby. Post pictures.
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
Excellent feedback, thanks for responding. No pesky HOA so great list for a good test at home. Also really like the list on Rocinante web sit, plus a lot of other great ideas.
Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
During the delivery, test every item that has a function. I'm not talking about just running the water faucets. Check the refer, oven, micro, both TV's, bring a CD to test Blue Ray, check EVERY cabinet & door hinge function, window operation, awning, every single thing that moves on your new AS. Look under sinks, feel with your hands for any leaks with water running, fill basins and as they drain again feel for water. Have the tech show you how the manually raise or lower the power Jack in case of failure, where the fuse for that jack is and how to remove & replace propane tank cover & bottles. Don't take anything for granted because once you leave your on your own. I always book a campsite near the dealership for at least one night just in case. Good luck with your new trailer & welcome to the Airstream community.
Venice, FL
2016 FC 25RTB
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote