Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
San Antonio , Texas
Sewer vent

Finally found a ladder that could get my little 5' body to reach some of the roof, oh the things I found!
First I pulled off the old sewer vent ( looked like a coffee can with slots in it ), anyway... I found the vent pipe does not rise above the roof, is this a problem or is it okay? I was also wondering new stlye plastic base and cover will work on a '79 Argosy.
Thanks for your help!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Got any pictures of that?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

San Antonio , Texas
Pictures of the old vent cover or of the vent pipe below the roof line?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Your Minuet should have had the same vent cover as any Airstream except yours would have been painted. In order for the gasket to work properly the vent pipe would need to extend above the roofline at least an inch or so. See below for parts and a photo.
Vent pipe cover-aluminum 101158 [101158] - $42.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

1979Argosy_6-7Minuet
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Sewer vent pic

This is my vent before I replaced the screen and gasket.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
You are very fortunate it looks so nice!

On my project trailer the bath black-plastic pipe had eased downward when the clamp bands below loosened... Down, down and down it went until jagging sideways under the outer shell aluminum & effectively blocked most of the pipe & coerced the stack gas back into the trailer... I ended up condemning the whole interior - that was maybe part of the larger problem!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

San Antonio , Texas
Had a chance to go back and look at my vent pipe. Someone cut it not at the roof line but below. I went into the closet to see if I could simply pull it down or push it up (silly me), it didn't budge. As the joints are all solidly in place, is it okay to cut the last section and just add on? This is going to be a necessary thing to to do, right?
Oh, by the way, under the "coffee can" cover sat the remnants of an AS stlye cover, but made of fiberglass.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i seem to recall that the vent can slip down into the tank. maybe someone more experienced than myself can chime in.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki A. View Post
Had a chance to go back and look at my vent pipe. Someone cut it not at the roof line but below. I went into the closet to see if I could simply pull it down or push it up (silly me), it didn't budge. As the joints are all solidly in place, is it okay to cut the last section and just add on? This is going to be a necessary thing to to do, right?
Oh, by the way, under the "coffee can" cover sat the remnants of an AS stlye cover, but made of fiberglass.
Vicki,

If it is solidly mounted in the tank and all other joints are intact I don't see why you couldn't sleeve and cement an extension below the roofline, extend thru and replace the cover.

Bob
Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
how to install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
This is my vent before I replaced the screen and gasket.

If you note in your picture above the screen was placed over the pipe then the rubber gasket was pulled down over it. This was also done on my '92 excella.
The problem with this is simple. Screen is designed to allow small things to pass through it. Water molecules are very small. You should put the new rubber gasket over the pipe first then attache the screen over top of that. This can be done simply by placing a zip tie around the pipe. The screen is not as necessary as the gasket. It is only there to keep bugs and small rodents from finding their way down the pipe. I actually upgraded my screen from the nylon version I received in the kit from Inland RV to an aluminum version I purchased at the local hardware store. This was easily bent to form a nice dome that protrudes out the top of the vent cover. This will help keep leaves and other debris from filling the space between the pipe and the housing that may clog the small train holes at the bottom of the cover.

Keeping water from traveling down the vent pipe to my newly replaced floor is my primary goal.
Best of luck.

'92 Excella 29'
'20 Ram 2500
AIR # 59179
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Optional vent screening

Here is another option for vent screening. I bought a $1.98 tea ball, took it apart resulting in two stainless dome shaped screens that fit nicely on the vent stacks. Just used some caulking to fasten in place.
Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC1096.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	153834  
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
This is a picture of the old vent gasket showing how the hole should be cut.

No slit's to fit it over the pipe, the hole should be slightly smaller and fit tightly around the vent pipe. I re-inforced the the seal with sika.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 021.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	153835