Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Lightbulb sew heat reflectors for windows

At times of direct sun our a/c, like many others, does not keep up. In the past we have resorted to foil in the windows and it has helped tremendously, but its wasteful. I was thinking of making a reflective window panel (similar to the sun shields/shades for cars). I was curious if this has been done and what products you used, as well as if it really helped, or should I just stick with the foil.

My idea is as follows:
*Make patterns for all windows
*Assemble each window cover in the following layers:
**outer cover with reflective batting layer
**another batting layer
**maybe another reflective layer to face indoors
**a piece of indoor upholstery fabric for the side we will see
**and to make a binding with rubbery gripper material in hopes that they will just set in there snugly and I don't have to "attach" them in some way

As a dual purpose they could also act as "blinds" when we want more privacy. Looking for thoughts/suggestions. I would like to start on this in a couple weeks so I can finish before our first trip in June!!

I found this product for the reflective layer.

Amazon.com: 45'' Wide Insul-Bright Mylar/Poly Batting By The Yard: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Another option is this but it tears soo easily when cutting:
Amazon.com: Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets (Pack of 10): Industrial & Scientific

And something similar to this for the binding, might actually do a real binding then sew this around it

Amazon.com: Kittrich Corp 6B51 Con-Tact Brand Grip Liner: Kitchen & Dining
CampUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
CampUnger, Tinting would help as well. We bought the reflective bubble type stuff for our fantastic vents and my spouse made covers that match our decor and then we used hopok & loop to attach them. Works well to prevent sun light, One vent is directly over our bed, and keeps the heat out.

Why not look at bubble reflective stuff. it's easy to cut and can be rolled or folded up when not needed.

Sphere
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Have you looked into window tinting? You could try a dark tint or reflective.
I don't know what cost would be like or the effectiveness, but seems like it would be a good investment. Probably will be something I'll be looking into in the future too.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Although not as nice as what you are proposing, we bought a role of Reflectix foil insulation at Lowes and cut to fit the various opening we wanted to block. Stores behind the couch when not in use.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
We would love to tint, but our windows need to have the bubbled coating removed between the glass, and we hate to invest in the tint only to have it ruined/removed in a few short years. Reflective bubble wrap is a good idea as well, but I was thinking of the fabric version so it can compress more for storage (we like the spacebags for storage for some items). Great ideas and I will remain open minded, just sharing my thoughts!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Quote:
Although not as nice as what you are proposing, we bought a role of Reflectix foil insulation at Lowes and cut to fit the various opening we wanted to block. Stores behind the couch when not in use.
I like this idea, will check into it. Can always make it "look nicer" by sewing the fabric to it as well!! Thanks!!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
CampUnger,
We have another thread going where perhaps you could be of some assistance. There is another forum member with a 79 sovereign who has no curtains at all. He has a few questions about the number of curtain panels and such. I'm not sure if you have original curtains or something close, but please have a look at this thread. I have a 77 sovereign and while I'm sure that are probably the same as far as curtains go, I'm just not sure.
Plus, I'm gonna write up some instructions on making curtains too. You sound like you might be a sewist too and your input would helpful.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ml#post1134497
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Wabash , Indiana
Quote:
CampUnger,
We have another thread going where perhaps you could be of some assistance. There is another forum member with a 79 sovereign who has no curtains at all. He has a few questions about the number of curtain panels and such. I'm not sure if you have original curtains or something close, but please have a look at this thread. I have a 77 sovereign and while I'm sure that are probably the same as far as curtains go, I'm just not sure.
Plus, I'm gonna write up some instructions on making curtains too. You sound like you might be a sewist too and your input would helpful.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ml#post1134497
Below is a link for a post that I started, but apparently (just realizing, oops!) that I didn't follow through with posting the pics. (last summer was hectic for us, remodeling 2 houses and family medical issues as well).

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...rod-77093.html

It will explain how and what I did, and next time, I will more than likely not do things the same. (I have to clip and unclip the rod every time I want to move the curtain, and have already broke a clip or two in the first few travels)

I am just teaching myself how to sew (just started last fall actually). Simple projects mostly, a couple rag quilts, a tote bag, pillow cases, and a couple very simple summer dresses for my girls. I figured on the window coverings I could use simple stitchings on them. I will look at the post, but don't have much experience sorry to say. But we all have to start somewhere!!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by extiger View Post

That sounds like the same stuff I used. Bought in a big roll, it has air bubbles sandwiched between reflective aluminum. I store mine in a zippered bag with handles I bought from Camping World that they sell for patio rugs. The bag is the perfect size and holds all the custom cut pieces from all the windows on my 27' trailer. Then throw the whole thing in the truck till needed.
It took me a better part of a day to cut them to fit to each window. I made them a little bigger than the glass and it holds itself in place.
That stuff is great for reflecting the sun and heat here in Texas.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
I used the Reflectix to make inserts for the side windows of my Pick-up Truck. It helps keep the interior cooler and saves the leather from going bad. I went to the Dollar General store and purchased a couple of the aluminum bubble pack Windshield blinds and cut them down to cover the windows of my AS. Worked like a charm. Also used them to cover the Fantastic vents and they help hold the heat in when camping in cold weather.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote