Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"For $30 bucks and you are crying
Just get a new one and place a nope on your interior mirror to UNPLUG POWER CORD"

Did not really read the post, did you? What help is a note for the power cord going to be for a dragging 7 way connector between the trailer and the truck?

And the $30 is for a part. Labor is about $130 an hour and it takes at least an hour to install. Or a bit longer for a do it yourself. Not a lot of fun. But if you do it in a parking lot you will get lots of offers to help. People were really nice and several experienced people offered suggestions.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
I'll add my two cents.
When you get the butt splices, get the kind with solder inside and shrink tubing on the outside. Crimp well. Heat and watch the solder flow to complete your joint and shrink around the splice.

Great idea to replace the cable. That's what I'd do because of the possibility that I'd have a problem down the road with the electric brake wire. Then again, I'd look at it as a Saturday well spent with time to get to know the systems involved. Most people don't see it that way thus the splice suggestion.

Now you know all the options.
Please Let us know what you decided to do.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Repace the cable how? I was afraid to take my trailer apart to attempt to find the termination of the cable. not sure there is one. I did replace the cable. But by splicing a new length to the existing cable outside of the trailer. How do you "replace the cable". I am willing to do it if I could figure out how on a finished, working trailer.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Repace the cable how? I was afraid to take my trailer apart to attempt to find the termination of the cable. not sure there is one. I did replace the cable. But by splicing a new length to the existing cable outside of the trailer. How do you "replace the cable". I am willing to do it if I could figure out how on a finished, working trailer.
Hi

Simple way to replace the cable:

Cut off your existing cable so it still makes it easily to your battery box.

Get a new cable

Get a >= 7 lug terminal strip. Randomly chosen example:

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-Positi...terminal+strip

Strip all the ends of the cables and swage on connectors that go with the terminal strip. Again randomly chosen example:

https://www.amazon.com/DEDC-Insulate...rimp+terminals

Random crimp tool:

https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Prof...rds=crimp+tool

Sort out the leads using the ohm meter function on your multmeter and the old cable. Random multimeter:

https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Multi...rds=multimeter

Screw the cables down to the terminal strip. Check the function (plug in the TV and check the lights).

Mount the terminal strip in the battery box.

Not quite "easy", but not impossible either. Most certainly less than an hour for your local electrician.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post

I don't know your 88 or 87 trailers (if I understand your profile correctly) but in my 2012 27FB the 7-pin starts under the bed. It looks like I'd have to take some stuff apart the get in there to connect it but probably an afternoon's work. Probably not more than an hour for a real technician or my local RV shop.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #26
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Been there done that in 10 degree weather in Wichita, KS. That made me come up with a safety wire tie loop on the plug. When installed on the tow vehicle run the breakaway lanyard through the wire tie loop to the truck so that when the plug "falls" out it won't go anywhere. I have also broken plugs when the pigtail was a tad too short. I too, find the truck socket lids not fitting good. Be sure and push the plug in extra hard before closing the lid down on it. So far, rerouting the pigtail has solved the problem. If you need a longer pigtail Hensley sells an extension or you can make one.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Rochester , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
I'll add my two cents.
When you get the butt splices, get the kind with solder inside and shrink tubing on the outside. Crimp well. Heat and watch the solder flow to complete your joint and shrink around the splice.

Great idea to replace the cable. That's what I'd do because of the possibility that I'd have a problem down the road with the electric brake wire. Then again, I'd look at it as a Saturday well spent with time to get to know the systems involved. Most people don't see it that way thus the splice suggestion.

Now you know all the options.
Please Let us know what you decided to do.

Thanks all for the help. Turns out in a "6 degrees of separation" way that I am connected to a guy who works on hitches and trailers. Even the AS dealer suggested it could be done by most folks who work on trailers and hitches. So, I will use my Saturday in other ways and just take it to my "friend of a friend" and let him replace it. Thanks again all. It's nice going into conversations with mechanic types with a bit more knowledge and knowing the right questions to ask! Hope to be on the road with my Base Camp for the holiday weekend. [emoji1303]
rk3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk3326 View Post
Thanks all for the help. Turns out in a "6 degrees of separation" way that I am connected to a guy who works on hitches and trailers. Even the AS dealer suggested it could be done by most folks who work on trailers and hitches. So, I will use my Saturday in other ways and just take it to my "friend of a friend" and let him replace it. Thanks again all. It's nice going into conversations with mechanic types with a bit more knowledge and knowing the right questions to ask! Hope to be on the road with my Base Camp for the holiday weekend. [emoji1303]

Good to hear! Now make sure you have enough slack for turning without dragging on the ground and I'm not sure what you meant in your original post by "tucking" the cable somewhere but I suspect that move may have something to do with the splice in the first place.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #29
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
No help for the OP, but a testimonial for the Good Sam ERS. I was homeward bound (to VA) in OK when I noticed that my umbilical was disconnected. I pulled off I-40 at an exit and found that the cable had dragged half away. I likely did not secure it properly.

I called the Emergency Road Service, described the problem and asked if they could find a repair shop on my route. They did so, found a shop about a half hour further along and said they would be waiting for me.

I pulled in, backed into the shop and was placed back in service in less than an hour.

Very satisfied customer of both the shop and the ERS.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Rochester , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One possible way to go:

Grab a terminal block and mount it someplace like the battery box. Run the remains of the existing cable up to it. Mate to the new cable at that block. This eliminates a lot of splicing and taping hassle. As mentioned above, the cable likely will need to be replaced again in the future.

Bob

Hi Uncle Bob, trailer guy said that a junction box is the best way to go! Well spotted!
Robyn
rk3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Simple way to replace the cable:

Cut off your existing cable so it still makes it easily to your battery box.

Get a new cable

Get a >= 7 lug terminal strip. Randomly chosen example:

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-Positi...terminal+strip

Strip all the ends of the cables and swage on connectors that go with the terminal strip. Again randomly chosen example:

https://www.amazon.com/DEDC-Insulate...rimp+terminals

Random crimp tool:

https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Prof...rds=crimp+tool

Sort out the leads using the ohm meter function on your multmeter and the old cable. Random multimeter:

https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Multi...rds=multimeter

Screw the cables down to the terminal strip. Check the function (plug in the TV and check the lights).

Mount the terminal strip in the battery box.

Not quite "easy", but not impossible either. Most certainly less than an hour for your local electrician.

Bob
Simply connect leads on car end by connecting from one to other cable , no meter needed. On 76 AS trailer end plugs in outside so cable is removable in one piece with connectors each end.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote