Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Service in Denver

This isn't a sales pitch or recomendation. In my search for parts I stopped by Denver Colorado RV Dealer | Travel Trailers, Toy Haulers, 5th Wheels for sale yesterday. They have a pretty good supply of Airstream parts. I asked a couple of questions about dent repair and guy introduced himself as their Airstream repair man. He took me back into the shop and showed me a unit that he had just replaced the entire lower side pannel on. Couldn't tell that it had ever been worked on. He spent about an hour showing and telling my how to work on them along with all the special tools. Rivet cutters, etc... I learned a lot and will definitly go back for parts. Very nice people in the parts a service department.

We stuck our heads in a bunch of new Airstreams. Not impressed! I like the older stuff much better.

What's with the bare aluminum interior walls? Vinal flooring? And the woodwork looks like cheap laminate. The only thing that impressed me was the price.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Well, it's different strokes for different folks I guess. We love the new, mod look of our 2011 27FB. The old stuff just looks like old stuff to me. And I appreciate old stuff, but the old stuff I appreciate either comes in a bottle or was around with the Romans. Thirty year old camping equipment...uh...not so much.

Thanks for the tip on the Denver folks. Our trailer will be spending most of it's life an hour north of there. While it ages.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Well, it's different strokes for different folks I guess. We love the new, mod look of our 2011 27FB. The old stuff just looks like old stuff to me. And I appreciate old stuff, but the old stuff I appreciate either comes in a bottle or was around with the Romans. Thirty year old camping equipment...uh...not so much.
Figured I take some heat for that!

I like the "warmer" look myself. I did see quite a few flaws like outlets that looked like the holes were cut crooked and a lot of other fit and finish issues. American craftsmanship isn't what it used to be.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
This is Windish Airstream, and I see they have a somewhat new location right off I-25, near Longmont. They are also in Lakewood, a Denver suburb. I personally did not have particularly good luck with their parts department when I was scrounging for various things years ago, had better luck with OasisRV and InlandRV. Seemed like nice folks, though, certainly worth a try.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our experiences with the Denver dealer were not good. We had difficulty with warranty repairs and I had to contact Airstream to get the items done. They backed our trailer into the tongue of another trailer and put a hole in the rear panel and a dent in the side. They repaired the rear panel and did it properly, though it delayed us and we never made it to the state park where we had a reservation. We had to struggle with them about the dent and finally we settled with them on a cash payment.

After that we took our trailer to the factory for warranty repairs. Another 1,200 miles each way, but the work was done much better. One time when we were at the factory, two other trailers from the Front Range were there and their owners had stories about why they never would go to Windish.

The service writer was nice, but I's rather talk to mechanics about repairs since every time the story gets told to another person it changes. When we signed the papers for the trailer we bought there, the finance guy was extremely obnoxious and tried to sell us an extended warranty in a very aggressive manner. After I said no the 3rd time, he turned to my wife and tried to scare her. We have a special contempt for a salesman who tries to come between us and uses such tactics.

The salesman was personable, but didn't know much about the hitch they sold us. It was improperly adjusted and used bars that were too heavy. I guess it was what they had in stock.

What you like in terms of new or old is very much a personal decision. We like the aluminum interior. It will not absorb food odors and the light patterns on it are cool. The other interiors deteriorate over time and eventually have to be replaced, so if you buy an older model, make sure the interiors are in good condition. The vinyl floor is very practical because dirt is always being tracked into a trailer—the living area is the mud room. Vinyl cleans easily. The woodwork is cheap with Formica over particle board. Formica cleans easily, but doesn't look like wood, but I got used to it. Particle board doesn't hold screws well and they will back out over time. But the solid wood interiors are heavy and expensive and we didn't want to spend the very high prices for the solid wood models. Particle board is heavy too so I'm unsure how much difference there is between the weights of each, but the Classic models are a lot heavier than the cheaper trim lines.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Hear hear. We love our shiny metal interior. So easy to find accessories. Stainless or Al both work. matches anything, basically. We have the dark wood color. Some name I never heard of. I'm not a huge fan of particle board, but it's temperature and humidity stable. Dimensionally stable, I think the term is. We had some screws back on on the panel between shower and bedroom. I dipped round hardwood toothpicks in good yellow glue and stuck em in the holes and put the screws back in. Solid. And likely to stay that way for a while.

We live in a very high maintenance house on a bluff overlooking the Caicos Bank, and into the trade wind. We like getting away to a little home where a damp paper towell is usually enough for anything and the whole place can be cleaned in five minutes.

And playing with a laser inside at night in the dark....almost makes me wish I had a cat again. I said almost.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
If you want a more classic interior, look at the classic trailers.
Airstream, Inc :: Classic
I don't think Windish usually has any on their lot. If you want to see one, send me a PM and I'll show you mine. It is in storage, but no problem getting to it. If it makes you feel any better I agree with you on the shiny interiors, but then again you'll never catch me shopping at IKEA either.

Here is a link to one like ours, just different interior color.

Colonial Airstream NJ - 2010 Airstream Classic Limited 31'
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
If you want a more classic interior, look at the classic trailers.
Airstream, Inc :: Classic
I don't think Windish usually has any on their lot. If you want to see one, send me a PM and I'll show you mine. It is in storage, but no problem getting to it. If it makes you feel any better I agree with you on the shiny interiors, but then again you'll never catch me shopping at IKEA either.

Here is a link to one like ours, just different interior color.

Colonial Airstream NJ - 2010 Airstream Classic Limited 31'
Thanks! I probably ruffled some feathers. I did have a positive experience with Windish in Lakewood but have never delt with their sales staff. A salesman did jump us but I told him we were just there for parts an looking around. He left us alone and said to stop by his office if we had any questions.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Thanks! I probably ruffled some feathers. I did have a positive experience with Windish in Lakewood but have never delt with their sales staff. A salesman did jump us but I told him we were just there for parts an looking around. He left us alone and said to stop by his office if we had any questions.
Don't worry about the feathers, if it is like birds, they will grow new ones. . It goes both ways. Someone, a week or so ago, said that the classic interiors looked like their granny's living room. I think it was supposed to be an insult, but I took it as a compliment, because my grandmother's living room is a good memory to me. The bare aluminum walls are just too sterile and cold looking for my taste. But the world would be a dull place if we all liked the same things.

I bought my trailer at Windish's north location here in Longmont. We ordered it, if I remember right, a couple of months after they opened. I had no problem at all with the sales staff. The salesman that were worked with us now works at their Lakewood location.

Ken
Old 11-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
I also have used Windish in Longmont for smaller parts and they also did a winterization for me. Their service was ok but I did have some issues with the winterization when I went to start 'er up in the spring.

Nice to see some other Longmont folks here!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
I also have used Windish in Longmont for smaller parts and they also did a winterization for me. Their service was ok but I did have some issues with the winterization when I went to start 'er up in the spring.

Nice to see some other Longmont folks here!
You may already know this. I have discovered that, if you want a part that is not specific Airstream, K&C RV has much better pricing.

BTW, they installed electricity in our building at Andersen's. So, I was able to leave the batteries in the trailer this year. Did they do your side yet?

For future reference, I winterize just by blowing out all the plumbing thoroughly and adding a bit of antifreeze in the sink and shower traps. If that is sufficient for you, you are welcome to back your trailer into our driveway next year and use my large compressor.

I ride my bike around town a lot and have discover several ,mostly vintage, Airstreams in out of the way yards.

Ken
Old 11-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
one of those

2011 27 FB International
What's Andersons?
Old 11-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
What's Andersons?
It is where we keep our trailer.

See post#5 in this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ado-83136.html

Ken
Old 11-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #14
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I had an appointment at Windish, for what I thought was maybe a clogged gray valve. It somehow mysteriously healed itself. Then afterward I read the thread on here about venting that tank, and some tumblers fell into place. Funny that both Airstream and Windish must have been aware of this potential source of my described problem, yet neither brought it up as a solution. It was puzzlement all around. Now I realize that the fix for that vent issue is not something anyone would volunteer to tackle on their own nickel.

Now I remember Andersons from the other thread. I think at the time we thought we had inside storage north of FTC. Alas, upon close examination, the overhead door would only clear about 9 ft. even.
It was suggested we flatten our tires. I had a counter suggestion that wasn't that polite. So ours is outside for this season. Once we pull it out of there in the spring we'll re evaluate any options. Andersons looks pretty good. Are they all filled up? Looks busy on Google Earth.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Windish disservice...

I wanted to replace the ball on my hitch and did not have a large enough wrench to remove the nut and replace it. Of course, since I bought my AS at Windish, they would work with me. Wanted $50, the minimum service rate. What????

I rented a power washer and other items from a rental place in the past, next to UHaul off of I-470/County Line and figured they had a wrench that could do the job. They did. They took care of a customer and NO CHARGE.

Windish was all friendly when selling me the trailer. I guess that is where it ends. I was not asking for free, but for $50 I can buy a wrench and loan it out to other trailer owners... When I buy another new AS... I can get just as much appreciation from any dealer and pick the trailer up at Jackson Center, Ohio.

And... the finance guy. We paid cash for the trailer. He was pushing us to finance through Windish and "invest" our money for a better return. I think we have a better idea on how we invest our money.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
You may already know this. I have discovered that, if you want a part that is not specific Airstream, K&C RV has much better pricing.

BTW, they installed electricity in our building at Andersen's. So, I was able to leave the batteries in the trailer this year. Did they do your side yet?

For future reference, I winterize just by blowing out all the plumbing thoroughly and adding a bit of antifreeze in the sink and shower traps. If that is sufficient for you, you are welcome to back your trailer into our driveway next year and use my large compressor.

I ride my bike around town a lot and have discover several ,mostly vintage, Airstreams in out of the way yards.

Ken

Yes, they did our side with electricity as well. They seem like a pretty good facility in general. Thanks for the compressor offer!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Just bought our new 27FB from Windish. The salesman assured me that they had installed Pro Pride hitches before, but upon delivery and listening to the wrench who was doing the install, it was not only not true, but he went on at length as to why he thought the hitch was a very expensive piece of crap. The first day driving south w/ side winds gusting to almost 70mph proved him totally wrong. In addition, he overtightened two U bolts and bent them, which I had to repair myself on the road. Not good. On the other hand, there was a tech there who specialized in Airstreams and he did our walkthrough and was incredibly knowledgeable, patient, and helpful.
So all in all a mixed bag...which I think if fairly typical.

+1 on Anderson's Storage and the Andersons themselves...nice folks, and it's nice to have a dump onsite for the end of a trip or to de-winterize.
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #18
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Do they have water at the dump site?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Do they have water at the dump site?

Yes, in fact I saw one of the tenants washing his TT near the dump area a week or so ago. I think that is also one of the perks.

There is one other plus for you, I am pretty sure the owner is originally from Texas. He is really friendly and helpful. I was down there once a year ago, and he was going around helping a few people winterize their RVs. He has a nice Pinzgauer. He likes to talk about that. Pretty neat vehicle.

(Change Subject)

If anyone in this area wants to see a installed ProPride 3P, let me know.

Ken
Old 05-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #20
rss

2016 28' International
Currently Looking...
Roanoke , Virginia
Thanks for your posts. I have a quick question regarding the ProPride compatibility w/ the 27FB...do the ProPride weight distribution jacks impede access to the front storage compartment? Does the compartment door open as fully as w/o the ProPride?

Many thanks, trying to decide between a new 28 and 27...the P3 is not optional.
rss is offline   Reply With Quote