Old 11-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Windish disservice...

I wanted to replace the ball on my hitch and did not have a large enough wrench to remove the nut and replace it. Of course, since I bought my AS at Windish, they would work with me. Wanted $50, the minimum service rate. What????

I rented a power washer and other items from a rental place in the past, next to UHaul off of I-470/County Line and figured they had a wrench that could do the job. They did. They took care of a customer and NO CHARGE.

Windish was all friendly when selling me the trailer. I guess that is where it ends. I was not asking for free, but for $50 I can buy a wrench and loan it out to other trailer owners... When I buy another new AS... I can get just as much appreciation from any dealer and pick the trailer up at Jackson Center, Ohio.

And... the finance guy. We paid cash for the trailer. He was pushing us to finance through Windish and "invest" our money for a better return. I think we have a better idea on how we invest our money.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
You may already know this. I have discovered that, if you want a part that is not specific Airstream, K&C RV has much better pricing.

BTW, they installed electricity in our building at Andersen's. So, I was able to leave the batteries in the trailer this year. Did they do your side yet?

For future reference, I winterize just by blowing out all the plumbing thoroughly and adding a bit of antifreeze in the sink and shower traps. If that is sufficient for you, you are welcome to back your trailer into our driveway next year and use my large compressor.

I ride my bike around town a lot and have discover several ,mostly vintage, Airstreams in out of the way yards.

Ken

Yes, they did our side with electricity as well. They seem like a pretty good facility in general. Thanks for the compressor offer!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Boulder , Colorado
Just bought our new 27FB from Windish. The salesman assured me that they had installed Pro Pride hitches before, but upon delivery and listening to the wrench who was doing the install, it was not only not true, but he went on at length as to why he thought the hitch was a very expensive piece of crap. The first day driving south w/ side winds gusting to almost 70mph proved him totally wrong. In addition, he overtightened two U bolts and bent them, which I had to repair myself on the road. Not good. On the other hand, there was a tech there who specialized in Airstreams and he did our walkthrough and was incredibly knowledgeable, patient, and helpful.
So all in all a mixed bag...which I think if fairly typical.

+1 on Anderson's Storage and the Andersons themselves...nice folks, and it's nice to have a dump onsite for the end of a trip or to de-winterize.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Do they have water at the dump site?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #19
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Do they have water at the dump site?

Yes, in fact I saw one of the tenants washing his TT near the dump area a week or so ago. I think that is also one of the perks.

There is one other plus for you, I am pretty sure the owner is originally from Texas. He is really friendly and helpful. I was down there once a year ago, and he was going around helping a few people winterize their RVs. He has a nice Pinzgauer. He likes to talk about that. Pretty neat vehicle.

(Change Subject)

If anyone in this area wants to see a installed ProPride 3P, let me know.

Ken
Old 05-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #20
rss

2016 28' International
Currently Looking...
Roanoke , Virginia
Thanks for your posts. I have a quick question regarding the ProPride compatibility w/ the 27FB...do the ProPride weight distribution jacks impede access to the front storage compartment? Does the compartment door open as fully as w/o the ProPride?

Many thanks, trying to decide between a new 28 and 27...the P3 is not optional.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rss View Post
Thanks for your posts. I have a quick question regarding the ProPride compatibility w/ the 27FB...do the ProPride weight distribution jacks impede access to the front storage compartment? Does the compartment door open as fully as w/o the ProPride?

Many thanks, trying to decide between a new 28 and 27...the P3 is not optional.
On our 2015 30' Bunk the ProPride does limit the opening of the front compartment due to the jacks being behind the tank cover but it is workable. Not an issue considering the benefits of the P3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3 Front Storage Door.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	237827  
Old 05-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Boulder , Colorado
The picture of the 30' above makes it look a bit tight, but yes our P3 does prevent opening the door all the way, but that said, we use the front for storage all the time as we spend 5 months a year in the rig...we just have to finagle larger items through the opening. I agree that this slight impediment is a small price for the stability and handling of the P3.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Dakota

Although you began this thread some time ago, I wish to reiterate the comments you made about Windish. I went there two years ago to purchase some parts (typical replacement stuff, nothing too expensive or unusual) - I was there almost two hours and every time the guy was helping me, he stopped to answer the phone (for someone else) or to respond to someone from the service dept. Have poor luck with them. Later, tried to get them to do an inspection in mid-March - said they were all booked up and could not get to me. I have heard that unless you purchased your TT from them, they are not interested in helping, following up, or providing any service. Terrible situation.

You mentioned that you took your TT to a different service shop and really liked the person who helped you. Please feel free to pass along that contact. As you can see, I am also in Colorado.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Mtn',

There used to be a dealer in Colorado Springs, but they no longer sell them. I think they still service them. The name is Intermountain Coach. We talked to a salesman there in 2007 and he told me things that weren't true and then disappeared, so we disappeared too. I met someone several years ago who told me their service dep't was good, but neither story says much either way.

Our experience with the Denver dealer included difficulty getting things done in general plus what I told in post #5. Though Airstream pays dealers to finish all the adjustments and get the trailer ready for use, it appeared Windish did as little as possible—one of the window locks behind the gaucho was loose allowing the window to move and then get sucked out by a passing truck—result no window. Windish refused to take responsibility, but I talked to someone at Airstream and they sent me a new window at no cost. The frame must have been bent slightly and the window didn't close right, but when I took the trailer to the factory for warranty repairs, they fixed that at no cost.

It is unfortunate that it is difficult to find good dealers, but you can buy them online from the more reputable dealers and if you are far from a dealer, work out something with Airstream for warranty work nearer to you. Or you can go to Jackson Ctr. where they do very good work. None of this encourages people to buy Airstreams, but they sell everything they make, so there is little economic impetus to have a better dealer network.

Gene
Old 05-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Gene

My TT has now been at Camping World for almost one month. I asked them to perform routine inspection and repack wheel bearings. Bearings, no problem (but then I got a surprise as the price quoted on the board was 'starting at' which really means per axle). I did not know this. Routine inspection still in progress... they can't seem to inspect much without either finding something wrong with it or charging to tinker with it. And they claim they haven't been able to finish inspection for several reasons. Very frustrating.

Incidentally, I am in the market for certain parts - a new fridge, a hot water heater, and possibly a furnace. The size of refrigerator that I had has been discontinued and only sizes larger or smaller are available. I learned yesterday that there is some sort of a kit for smaller refers, but I will have to completely rebuild the cabinet to make the larger unit fit properly. And I find it near impossible to get anyone to make suggestions or give advice, mush less deal with anyone who has dealt with AS before. I guess RV dealer seem to think we're all made of $$. Even if I were loaded and couldn't care less about $$, I still do not think I would appreciate being treated as if my sole purpose on this planet was to transfer my wealth (assumed or not) to someone else.

After my recent experiences, I have made two firm promises: When purchasing an AS, check it out thoroughly and do not hesitate to pay a bit more for one that has been well taken care of and maintained. Also, do some research and learn to do EVERYTHING yourself; do not depend on any dealers or service centers. This is a bit like DIY home improvement - I only wish I had a bit more experience so that making repairs were easier and did not take so much of my time.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Gene - after looking at your post again, it would appear I'm just a bit closer to Jackson City than you are! I hadn't really consider that as an option but perhaps it may make more sense to have several things done at the same time and with one trip!
Old 05-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
It seems too many dealers are more interested in selling Airstreams than servicing them correctly. If I have any major work needed on my Classic 25fb I'll probably take a week off work and haul out to Jackson Center, only 627 miles.

Kelvin
Old 05-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Mtn',

A month at CW? That's crazy. I have seen stories on the Forum over the years about CW fixing things on an Airstream (plus overcharges) and they pretty much follow your experience. Sounds like they go out to your trailer every few days when they get a bill from a utility company, mortgage, or supplier and decide to have you pay it. I'd get it out of there fast (before Cristo makes it impossible to travel along the Arkansas R.). Among other things, there are threads here about how to repack wheel bearings (reminds me, I have to do mine). Airstream recommends every 6 months or some low amount of miles. I do them about every 15-20,000 mlles. I don't like to do them, but it is not the only thing I do that I don't want to. You're 300 miles closer to Jackson Center.

Wow, three parenthetical clauses in one paragraph—and now a dash. No semicolons—maybe I'm losing my mojo.

Gene