Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Alexandria , Virginia
Service Department Frustration - Airstream it Virginia

“Hiyo Silver” our 2018 Sport 22 has developed a problem with Solar Charging. It is not happening. After a post on the forums for ideas I called AS HQ and within 30 seconds, was connected and three possible problems were identified. Bad fuse in the plugin on the old, bad fuse on the controller, bad company controller.

Because we are under warranty, I want to use that benefit until it runs out. So I call AS of Virginia (2 hours away) to see if I can get it in to be looked at. Two weeks for an appointment and they will likely need to hold onto it for two weeks. Does that seem excessive?
LiveStreamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
They have to diagnose the problem and likely order repair parts.
An appointment two weeks out is not bad. Then two weeks to receive and install parts.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable.
Another option (the way I would prefer to do it) is tow it over for diagnosis, take it home, and tow it back for the repair.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
To easy

Just,make your punch out list.
Call JC service center.
Set appointment.
Make the run to the mothership.
Soooo easy!
Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Two weeks is good. Would expect most dealers are backlogged a month or more. Winter may be keeping some rigs in storage and giving the service departments a break.

This is why, developing a good relationship with your service provider is a must do. It is also why learning to do as much DIY troubleshoot/repair/maintenance will make your RV experience much more satisfying. A phone call and a quick repair is much better than waiting for someone else to fix the problem.

However, using your warranty is smart. Stay with it while you have it. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muriel 1 View Post
Just,make your punch out list.
Call JC service center.
Set appointment.
Make the run to the mothership.
Soooo easy!
Tom
Actually, for many, this is a bad idea. Taking the coach to a dealer for a couple of weeks while you live comfortably in your house is much better than taking the coach to the mother ship and staying in a motel for a week. If the repair is a couple of days, you want to visit the factory, you don't have a home base, or you don't trust your dealer, maybe you have a very good point. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yup, two weeks is fine. As others have noted, write up a punch list of everything you know of that’s wrong and have them fix it all while they have it. If you haven’t found anything else wrong, you probably haven’t looked very hard. [emoji6]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
This is a wonderful oportunity for you to make use of the forums to ask what the problem could be, and possible ways to diagnosis it. This way you learn how the system works, possible upgrades or tweaks to make it work better; instead of just dropping it off somewhere, only to find out it could have been easily fixed in your driveway.

Lewster is a magician when it comes to solar stuff, as this is his bread and butter.

If a component is broken, then you could possibly cut down your downtime in the dealership if you could e-mail them with what steps you took to ascertain what peticular part doesn't work; they could order a new one and have it ready to go in when you get there.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
Camping World dealer now.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
"Taking the coach to a dealer for a couple of weeks while you live comfortably in your house is much better than taking the coach to the mother ship and staying in a motel for a week."

When I was at Jackson Center for warranty work in 2016, there was a couple with a Classic 30 there for warranty work who were parked in the trailer parking area (which, BTW, has water & power & is free for Jackson Center customers). AS would send a forklift out every morning to get their trailer and bring it back to the parking area every late afternoon, so no "staying in a motel" was needed. The only downside was that the couple was without their trailer during the day, and in the summer, "during the day" in the corn fields at Jackson Center can get hot.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Pat
If you have been to the factory service center.
You will notice that it is a heavy duty repair facility.
If they require more than one or two days,you have some very very serious issues.
They have a terraport to spend the night in your own coach for free.
Just e mail them,with issues in advance.
If they cannot fix it,I do not know who could.
I do not know where a week in a hotel came from.
Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Is that the Airstream dealership in Thornburg? If yes, that sounds par for their course. It's why I always scheduled appointments months in advance or went in at end of season so it didn't matter how long they kept it. Regardless, they should staff up to keep up with demand so that customers are not waiting so long!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
This is a wonderful oportunity for you to make use of the forums to ask what the problem could be, and possible ways to diagnosis it. This way you learn how the system works, possible upgrades or tweaks to make it work better; instead of just dropping it off somewhere, only to find out it could have been easily fixed in your driveway.

Sidekick Tony
I agree with Tony. I just built a portable 300 watt solar system for my trailer and it is not that difficult. If you have a multimeter you can trace to see if the power is coming off the panels or not. You don't need to know voltage or amps, just if it reads DC power coming out. Your controller will send 13 or so volts DC to your battery, see if it is outputting also. If your solar controller is not "lighting up", check the fuse. One on the solar panel side, one going to the battery. It's just not that complicated.

On the other hand, you could replace the solar controller with a decent one like the "Rover" MPPT controller ($125 Home depot) get the right batteries for using solar ($114 each Batteries plus) and maybe add a few panels on the ground ($168 / 100 watt) and really have a nice system.

One thing I think we all have found, AS does not always use the best components. Usually just enough to get by.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #13
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I dunno. This two weeks stuff does not seem to fulfil my concept of a premiere recreational vehicle manufacturer and dealer.
It takes an hour at best, four hours maximum to perform this type of diagnosis. AS has enough experience in their solar installations to be able to identify and isolate the problem. Parts shipping in the United States simply do not take two weeks. If not in stock at the dealer, Jackson Center will have it, and can overnight it. If not Jackson, the third party vendor should have a contract with Airstream to maintain a minimum number of spare parts or component upgrades. Again, overnight shipping.
I would not want my travel trailer sitting on a dealer lot, batteries draining, for one day let alone two weeks. Unacceptable. Give it back, get your money. Unacceptable.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Central , Virginia
Might try Out-of-Doors Mart

I've heard rumors about Thornburg's service department, none glowing. I heard very different rumors about Out-Of-Doors mart (in Colfax, North Carolina). Thornburg is about 1 1/2 hours from home base. Colfax is about 3 hours each way. Schedule is not a huge deal for us, so a three or even four week backlog wasn't an issue.
I had a strong recommendation for Colfax in hand, and a strong 'don't go there' for Thornburg (from the same source), so I decided to go for the surer thing. Either way, the day would be shot, and I've never been to Colfax

We pulled our trailer down and met with them (Out-Of_Doors mart) a few weeks ago for a bunch of warranty repairs. So far I'm impressed. I haven't seen the repairs yet (I'll update when I do), but can say their communication has been great. They've been easy to reach, and proactively call with updates. For example - some parts needed to be ordered from Airstream, might take a bit to get delivered, etc. They called and let me know. Actually called within a week after dropping off - they had told me to allow a couple of weeks before they could look at it, so that was a bonus. The service guys at the desk (Jeff and Tim) knew the name of my customer service contact person at Airstream [that would be Gretchen - a gem]. I like that direct to factory connection.

I've been to Thornburg a few times to check out new trailers (we're considering a change). The sales folks are great, super helpful and not too pushy. But the whole lot is gravel, with concrete aprons at the shop. I just kind of got the feeling of 'I don't want to leave my trailer here'. I didn't get that feeling in Colfax. Maybe not the most rational review, but there you go.
I may change my tune entirely when we get our trailer back from Colfax. We shall see.
LateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Youre probably 3 hours away from Colonial Airstream in Lakewood NJ. An extra hour of driving should be no biggie.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:56 AM   #16
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
I've found quoting others from the forum is a good way to sour a new relationship with the service guys. Ask the questions you get from here, ask about options for repair you see here, but the words, "well, the others on the forum said, . . ." seems to come across like telling your doctor you googled your symptoms and why doesn't he come to the same conclusion as you. The forum is a great collective learning tool, but is the bane of some service techs. We all get to try/do repairs the service guys don't get to do unless authorized by JC and paid authorized replacement parts. My experience is they have little to none spare parts and only order against your VIN after diagnosis. In Nov 16, they didn't have electrical drawings in shop for the "new" 17 classics, or anything for the Alde system. So, a trip to JC is a bit more streamline for some aspects, if your issues and timeline warrant the effort.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
The fact is since Airstream of VA has been taken over by Camping World they have lost a lot of very good qualified technicians, the General Manager and a seasoned sales staff.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #18
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi LiveStreamn,

We're sorry to learn about the solar charging issue you described in your 2018 22' Sport. Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
What Michael says in #14, and today's fine response from AS HQ in #18. We have had superlative service at both Out of Doors Mart and Jackson Center. The plus for the Mother Ship is you stay in the Terraport in your own rig, and they usually HAVE the part(s) or can get it the same day.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Alexandria , Virginia
UPDATE -

First I called AS HQ and they were helpful, but unable to determine the issue. After all the forum and HQ assistance, I am able to determine that I am getting juice off the panel and out of the controller.

Then I went to Thornburg. I pretty much went as a walk-in as it is about an hour from where we are in Northern VA. While we were not able to diagnose the problem, the techs were willing to try and help. They admitted that they do not have a lot of AS experience.

They determined that I was correct in regards to juice coming off the panel and out of controller. One theory is that the single panel may not have kept up with the cold to keep battery charged.

While i was there I identified that one of my window stone guards had developed a ripple across the plexiglass. They had never seen this, but immediately wrote it up and ordered one from AS HQ.

While towing, my TV charged the battery to about 45%. Back with AS HQ, they suggested I call the controller manufacturer. They stated that quite often they have found that the builder often does a poor job on wiring and suggested I run a 12 gauge wire with fuse directly from controller to battery.

One other issue. Battery is charging when towed, but I have had it plugged in to shore power for 24 hours with no charge. This tells me only the TV is charging.

Open to ideas and suggestions.
LiveStreamn is offline   Reply With Quote