Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #1

1973 31' Excella 500
Kingston , Ontario
Segments for 1973 Excella 500

Hello All,

My first time on the forum and need some advice on my newly acquired Excella 500. This units has been crushed by snow while being refurbished and missing some internal structure and internal skins.

I will be changing the ribs, top skins and the top side skins. I have some dents on 3 segments that probably could be cleaned up with an english wheel or purchased used segments.

My question is, do all segments from the Excella 500 family fit for different years? Or is every unit unique?

2nd, any chance anyone knows of some suppliers of some of these used segments (want to make sure the aluminum matches)

Thanks in advance!
Kingston AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
Segments from 1969 and newer, narrow body Airstreams will fit your trailer.
They are available new from most Airstream dealers.
By the time used segments are removed and shipped, they will be so distorted and damaged as to be unusable. If you don't believe me, try removing one of the damaged segments from your trailer without damaging it further, and you will see what I mean. Even if you find someone willing to cut undamaged segments from a trailer, by the time you get the surrounding metal removed to install on your trailer, they will again be damaged to the point of not being usable.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

1973 31' Excella 500
Kingston , Ontario
If I understood correctly, I was told that the segments from airstream are made with the new aluminum. Would it not look odd if that were the case? Many thanks in responding, simply trying to get a handle on the best way to do it. Cheers,
Kingston AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You do understand correctly. If you buy a brand new segment from a dealer, it will fit your Airstream's body, but will not be made of the same alloy as the original. So not only will it look slightly different, patina wise, but it is also a softer metal.

I had a front lower corner segment with a dent in it. I thought I would be cleaver and try to roll it out from the inside using a home-made dent roller. Problem was, that I used too tight of a radius on my roller wheel, and probably pressed too hard on it as well. This left marks (slight outward dents) in the segment. So I removed the segment entirely and tried to tool it with an English Wheel, but this just ended up distorting it further, since it was already deformed. I finally ended up replacing it with a brand new segment. The cost of the segment and shipping put the price over $500. It has a plasticoat on it that is very resistive to every stripper I have tried using on it. It has a brushed, duller, look to it, but worst of all, it is very soft metal, and I already have several rock dings in it from the few trips I have taken, whereas the segment on the opposite side shows not a ding.

If you can repair the segments you have, that would be my recommendation--just don't get too heavy handed with them, and don't use them to learn how to English Wheel. It takes a very light touch to work a dent out with an English wheel, but not distort the whole shape.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote