Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Seems kind of short sighted to me...

Our Airstream is one that was assembled by the factory without gaskets between the exterior marker lamps and the aluminum skin. Airstreams "fix" involves adding the casting used on the Classic's to cover up any corrosion caused when the fitting cuts through the clearcoat. They gladly provided the castings to me when I complained and included instructions for mounting.

When I saw the casting I was a bit horrified to see that Airstream actually mounts the rough sand cast surface to the surface of the Airstream directly. This just screams "Wrong" to me...It must abrade the surface of the clearcoat.

My solution was to have some gaskets made to isolate the casting from the body. I found a company online who easily made me a dozen gaskets for $10 each (one extra). I asked them to keep the size of the gasket slightly smaller than the casting so that when finished I could seal the edges with the same Acryl-r that Airstream uses everywhere else on the exterior.

It just seemed like the prudent thing to do.

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141006_12_36_30_Pro.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	223790   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141006_12_37_02_Pro.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	223791  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141006_12_37_17_Pro.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	223792  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I agree with you Bruce. I complained about the corrosion on our 2012 20 footer and all marker lights were updated with the Classic castings. I don't know if gaskets were used but they do look very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstream put the Classic bases on for us no charge, and they work very well. Maybe the best clearance light design they have had. There is no gasket but they are sealed as designed with sealant where the wiring emergencies, and sealed again after being screwed down.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A thought on the gaskets you have.

I don't know what your instructions are to mount the Classic frames, but the Airstream Service Center mounted mine and others so that there is drainage at the bottom side of the side marker lights. That is, the bottom side has no sealant so any water that enters somehow, can drain or dry out. You may want to consider a way to install the gaskets so they can also provide drainage.

It should be noted that Airstream mounts many things on the trailer without gaskets, then seals the edges. Tail lights, door lock assembly, window, door, and hatch frames.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
A thought on the gaskets you have.

I don't know what your instructions are to mount the Classic frames, but the Airstream Service Center mounted mine and others so that there is drainage at the bottom side of the side marker lights. That is, the bottom side has no sealant so any water that enters somehow, can drain or dry out. You may want to consider a way to install the gaskets so they can also provide drainage.

It should be noted that Airstream mounts many things on the trailer without gaskets, then seals the edges. Tail lights, door lock assembly, window, door, and hatch frames.
Airstreams mounting instructions show them putting sealer everywhere, no drain...
It's an interesting idea though. I think I will seal the bases and let any trapped water escape from between the lens and the casting. This is my thought for tonight anyway....I do not plan on changing the lenses before next week so I will keep thinking about it.

I still think that some basic isolation between some of these parts would help prevent filiform corrosion.

The items you listed that are assembled without gaskets are frequently areas where you see corrosion beginning. Our door handle has a little happening that I have had to repair...

In the end it is ok as someday I want our Bambi polished anyway...

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote