Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2015, 06:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Warrington , Pennsylvania
Screws.....

Is it normal to constantly find screws that need to be tighten, or put back in? I guess traveling with he AS let's them rattle loose?

Is it safe to use Loctite on the screws?
sroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Yes, screws can vibrate loose. I used Loctite on the screws I used during our refurb, and I see no reason for you to not use it.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've never had any loosen. It may be good to check the balance of your tires, and question whether your weight distribution bars are too stiff for your Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Screws

My collection is up to about ten, now, mostly from the door latches, one from the microwave.

My solution, if i can determine where the screw came from is:

Wood or particle board, I use about three toothpicks, inserted into the hole and broken off, then a bit of construction adhesive on the screw, reinserted, tightened only to what is required to secure the fixture.

Metal: If threads have been striped, a new slightly larger screw, Loctite, blue. If not striped, just Loctite.

Composite, i.e., Corian or other: May require some filler, and I have used a bit of fabric with an epoxy for the screw on my drop down tray at the end of the counter. This had been repaired twice by the dealer, finally I did the epoxy thing and it is quite secure.

So, why do we have theses problems? Think of taking your house and subjecting it to an earthquake, Richter scale 7.3, fifty times a day....
Also, I do believe the screw driver torque settings at the factory are too high, or they do not really care if the screws are striped out. The door latches are the major source of my "screws on the floor", but the concern might be screws where we cannot discover them....

Anyway, this is apparently a common problem, we learn to live with.

And, yes, the tire pressures....one of the reasons I went with 16" wheels and tires, I can now run 54 psi, much easier ride for the trailer, now down to Richter scale 6.0....LOL
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Never use screws to fasten the belly pan .
Old 10-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I notice your rig is 1972 vintage. Ever had the axles replaced? The rubber torsion bar axles have a life expectancy of about 25 years. Over time elasticity is lost and rubber bands turn to hockey pucks. This leads to a rougher ride that can shake all kinds of things loose.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Blue loctite is good. Red not so much in the AS because you could burn the thing down to get it out.

If it's a metal into metal screw you can also try a few wraps of Teflon plumbing tape around the threads.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Never use screws to fasten the belly pan .
Why? I temporarily have my pan secured with self-tappers as I have to drop it do do one thing or another as I am using the trailer while renovating it.

I may go to large head rivets to secure the belly pan when I am "finished," but the screws are holding up fine and I refuse to waste a bunch of rivets by drilling them out every time I need to drop the pan.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Could be running gear ... seriously.. check it out..

Wood..if you run the screw in a bit, and it doesn't quickly 'snug' you may need something to take up some 'slack' and give some 'holding' strength to the screw shank. Be careful and don't make it too hard to screw in or you could/might cause the wood to split. I have had times I had to drill the hole, replace the wood with a 'toothpick'.. but what works good when you are 'on the road' is to find a small branch you can whittle down... it doesn't need to take up the whole screw hole.. just take up slack. If you carry some wood glue, you can wet the outside of the wood, put wood into the hole, and run the screw in... but don't 'tighten'.. after the glue 'dries', snug it up.

You can also use a 'toothpick', but, hey, what's the FUN in that?

On 'metal', same.. if loose, you can fill the gap.. use larger screw.. etc.. on metal, take care.. you don't want to 'wallow out' the hole... What I found works, is making SURE I have right size screw... including 'length'.. don't want to punch a hole in the outer shell!!! Next, use Locktite BLUE... if the screw isn't wobbly. Run screw till 'snug'.. just enough to hold the part.. If you over tighten you can over stress the threads, once the threads 'jump' once, the screw is 'loose'.

You can get some 'JB Weld' epoxy.. mix a couple of dabs with a toothpick.. then coat inside the metal hole. Allow to cure completely! you only want to 'coat' the hole inside. Push a little of the epoxy to the backside of the hole.. let it CURE... then run a NEW screw in place.

If that doesn't 'work', redo the epoxy as above. Then, before you run another new screw into the hole.. mix up another batch of epoxy... then, put a very thin coat under the head of the screw and 'snug' it down. Wipe off any epoxy..

To minimize the epoxy 'overflow', put a piece of painters tape over the area. Run the screw in until the head hits and stop. Use an "exacto" knife to carefully cut the tape as close to the head as possible. Now, remove the screw and lift out the center of the tape you trimmed. Proceed as above and you will find it easier to just ice down then pull off the tape.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
sroach, what are you using for a tow vehicle?
Old 11-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Warrington , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
sroach, what are you using for a tow vehicle?

Hi Lumatc,

A Mercedes ML350.
sroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Screws or?

Just a note....while so many of the screws on my unit have been tightened to the point of striping the threads...in the substance holding them....I have just replaced my bathroom faucet with one which I can get my hands under without splashing water on the counter, and in the process I had to remove the old one, of course.

My Serenity has been plagued by the pump cycling several times a day, and it could very well be due to the fact the faucet hose connections were never tightened...I simply took my arthritic hand and unscrewed the faucet line from the plumbing. Also, I noticed that there were no turn off faucets under the sink, probably not an issue as one can always run outside and turn off water or turn the pump off.

The next thing I noticed was the water sitting on top of the wheel well, under the sink, once I removed the back of the cabinet. And, when i placed the adaptors on the plumbing to accept my new faucet hoses, they leaked....strange, however examination of the threads revealed these had been damaged apparently when installed, would not seal with teflon tape. I solved this issue with a good pipe sealing compound....

I will see if this new installation leaks, if there is new water under the sink, and if possibly I have corrected one more, "loose screw" problem in my Airstream.....
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote