Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #1

2005 25' Safari
Encinitas , California
scratches,lightning and other issues

Ok....a couple questions for the veteran airstreamers.......if you have a small scratch is there some type of polish or rubbing compound that can be used to rub out the scratch?....also flying in airplanes I have been hit by lighting in storms...does the same apply to the airstreams? has it happend?...ok...thanks, brand new owner learning as I go, and can't thank all of you enough for the help...one more thing...where do I go online or in southern calif if I want to tear out the furniture in the front living area of a 2005 safari and make it bigger and more personal to what I need? thanks...the strayhorse
strayhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Airstreams (like any any other vehicle, tree or structure) absolutely CAN be hit be lighting. There was a good thread about this and other lighting related trivia recently. A quick search for lighting will find it.

I don't know of the scratch, but be aware that the later trailers do have a plastic coating, so anything applied to the surface should take that into account. I'd be interesting in hearing what others say in removing small scratches in that coating.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
_

. , .
hello strayhorse

if the scratches are all the way through the clearcoat.......one can fill the spot with autoclear coat touch up, clear fingernail polish or with a can of 'clearcoat spray' from the factory..... spray, dry, wait a few days and polish/wax.... it wont look perfect by can look pretty good.

if the scratches are NOT all the way through, i have found "Meguiar's SCRATCH X Fine Scratch & Swirl Remover" to work very well, followed by wax of your choice. this product is available at wallyworld and most auto supply stores.

my graphics were apparently mis applied at the factory, removed and re applied...this left a very fine crosshatch scratch ringing most of the trailer. after washing and claying the area, i used the scratch x per instructions and the fine scratching was completely removed. looked very good afterwards and still does.

i also have kissed a few trees that left light scratches and the dealer washed some marks into the finish.....all were removed with the scratch x.

i'd try this first before applying spray or touch up paints...

suggest being careful with any abrasive cleaner/polishes because the clearcoat is reported to be softer and thinner than automotive paint.

lightning has been discussed so stfa. lots of remodel options...many examples here and on the vintage site with a nice list of folks who can transform the interior to your wildest or mildest wishes.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Scratches? Just scratches?

Found this in the Airstream discussion group on Yahoo, described as hurricane damage.
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
That'll buff right out!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
That would just make me sick.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Its just a flesh wound...

Whew hope nobody was inside...That's a sad sight.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Suppose it leaks too. That tree looks like it was dropped from an airplane.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
2005 Safari Interior Mds

Quote:
Originally Posted by strayhorse View Post
I want to tear out the furniture in the front living area of a 2005 safari and make it bigger and more personal to what I need...
Strayhorse, heres a link to what I did in my 2005 safari. lwp99/Airstream Modifications - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The counter is a premade kitchen counter, shaped to fit the front. The supports and bookcase components are oak, finished with a water-based polyurethene (better match to the AS interior). It wasn't hard to do...

Good luck,

- Larry
lwp99 is offline   Reply With Quote