Old 05-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Safe for Valuables, 13 inch lap top & iPad

Looking for a recommendation for a safe to use on 25' 2012 Front Bedroom Flying Cloud? Could place to mount safe inside trailer?

Old 05-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Think this through...

Not sure it's a good idea to discuss best places to mount your new safe online in full view of.. well, anyone.

It's been said that some bad people actually use the internet to do bad things.

Let's not help them, OK?

On behalf of
The Site Team

Old 05-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Get one that you can bolt down. Then bolt it to something "out of sight" in an easy place for you to get at.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
There are several places you can hide your valuables, and a couple of them can easily be made to look like something else entirely. Use your imagination, think "if I were a thief, where would I look for something I can pawn easily?" Then don't put anything there.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hello hophead

My approach is to avoid leaving valuables in the trailer. Indeed I travel with few valuables and for that matter really don't own much of great value. In that light I've considered a safe but the expense and hassle doesn't seem worth it. I put my laptop under some clothes in one of the lockers when I leave it in the trailer so it's not an obvious target.

I also carry insurance.

Thefts from trailers being used for camping or traveling are rare but do occur often enough to make them a legitimate concern. In contrast, thefts from trailers in storage are common.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The best protection against theft is a decent insurance policy that covers contents, in a dollar amount adequate to replace anything valuable.

That and having irreplaceable data backed up to a cloud server so that even if your computer or smartphone diesó even if they're not stolenó you don't lose any data. You might have to pay a lot in data usage charges to download it again, but that's still better than losing your digital photos, scanned documents, and such altogether.

Even if you're a full-timer, rent a safe deposit box at the bank where you do your banking, which presumably is someplace you travel to once in a while. Anything too valuable to risk traveling with, keep it in the safe deposit box.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
They manufacture small safes for the cruise ships, if you could mount one like they provide it would give plenty of space and easy to use. They mount it in a cabinet or closet and is easy to see when door is opened. Make it very convenient, not visible on forced entry thru the door but not hard to get at on short notice. Maybe one layer of usable stuff to move to get to it. Most drawers can be made to come out easy and the space under the floor where there isn't a tank would work best, especially if the safe could be bolted to the frame with little access to get to its attaching point. Hope this doesn't make it too easy for the lurking thieves reading this to find a password locked computer, probably easier to set up a fake wifi at cg and get all the info that is transmitted!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Gentlemen

Get a big box of Kotex, pad and conceal the computer in it. Store it anywhere.

Paula
Old 05-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
one guy's $0.02

1) don't carry anything of value I'm the trailer. Why do you need valuables for camping?

2) have insurance on anything that is valuable. Thieves can and will get to it if they really want to.

3) don't post your ideas for hiding valuables in a public forum - it just makes it easier for the thieves.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
one guy's $0.02

1) don't carry anything of value I'm the trailer. Why do you need valuables for camping?

2) have insurance on anything that is valuable. Thieves can and will get to it if they really want to.

3) don't post your ideas for hiding valuables in a public forum - it just makes it easier for the thieves.
4) don't post your plans on public forums, wait until after your trip to post on facebook.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
The OP asked for a source: Tuffy Security Products in Cortez CO phone 970/564-1762.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I researched this a while back and then decided to travel without valuables. I did discover that pistol safes appear to be a good option.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
A few years ago when I was at Quartzsite, someone's mini class-C (on a Toyota chassis) went up in flames. The owner had had her propane tank topped up and the guy at the propane station had banged the pipes to loosen the hose connection; in so doing, he caused a propane leak. The fire started in the refer compantment, and since the motorhome was wood framed, it went up like tinder. The owner happened to be there - she and friends were at a campfire. She opened her door, the flames shot out, and she was able to grab her computer and guitar case - the rest (clothing, money, all documents) were consumed by the fire. The next week, I went into Walmart and bought a fire resistant file box - not so much for stashing cash, but for putting valuable documents.

BTW, the heat of the flames was so intense, that a SOB parked about 25 feet away got so hot that the water hosed onto it by the fire department to prevent it too from catching fire actually steamed off the trailer, and the exterior walls had started to buckle from the heat. Nearby motorhomes immediately moved away, but there wasn't enough time to hitch up a the SOB trailer.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #14
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Yep that kotex box provides great padding too!

2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote