Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Always dreaming

1963 26' Overlander
Lake Zurich , Illinois
Safe and secure- need doorknob/lock advice

Dear friends,
I hope you can provide some advice and suggestions for my situation. My 63 Overlander came to me with only one key for the exterior door, which I believe is the original round doorknob. As mentioned many times in the forums, finding a key blank to have a spare key made is challenging, and I've been unsuccessful. I've considered changing out the cylinder, as the key is difficult to turn most days anyway, and will continue to keep this option open. But here's where I am hoping your wisdom and infinite knowledge will help me. -- I need a way to lock the door for safety when I'm inside. There is currently no way to engage the keyed lock except from the outside. I've considered adding something to the inside (deadbolt, slide lock, chain etc) but wondering since I'm having so much trouble getting a spare key made if I shouldn't just replace the entire handle to a model that locks from the inside as well (and has more than one key!) Are there original parts floating around out there that I should be looking for or was an interior locking knob not even a consideration back in the day? Do you know of anything that I can update with - I've checked the Inland and Vintage trailer supply websites and it doesn't look like they have what I need. Is it possible to rig something up with a combo of original pieces and new materials (ie- add a different knob to the inside that locks and change out the cylinder?) Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy travels to you all,
Mary
Everonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Please post a picture of the doorknob. I don't know if your '63 has the same lock as our '66. If it does, maybe our experience will be of some use to you.

Our locksmith did have blanks and could duplicate the keys. Other stores hadn't a clue. These blanks have a capital A on the head of the key for some reason.

Locksmith also told me to put some WD-40 in the lock, and to turn the key very gently. We followed his advice, and it worked like a charm.

These locks operate with very little rotation, and the keys aren't made of strong metal. Our previous owner gave me a whole bunch of twisted keys when we bought the trailer.

If your lock is the same as ours, there's a very small button below and a little to the right of the interior doorknob that will lock the door from the inside. It took us quite a while to find that, but it's there.

If your lock is different from ours, please forgive me for wasting your time. Hope there's something here you find helpful.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
The Pro Hardware Store in Jackson Center (112 E Pike St, Jackson Center tel: 937-596-6360) is owned by a former (retired) AS factory employee - in fact, he did the electrical design on my '87 Excella. Several years ago, when JC decided to dispose of their old stock, he bought up a lot of it. I know that I got my original storage bay keys from him 2 years ago. You may want to call him.

They also have key blanks at JC - did you try calling them?
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Always dreaming

1963 26' Overlander
Lake Zurich , Illinois
Thank you for your help and suggestions! I figured out how to lock it from the inside now- duh!!! Will give a call to see if the hardware store might have a blank, will try JC too. Thanks again to all!
Everonica is offline   Reply With Quote