Old 09-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn G
I don't know enough about this to make enlightened conversation but seems to me if the scoop was reversed it could blow off. Interesting idea anyway.
One of the vents on our trailer faces forward, and we have the vent open while towing. Neither vent nor scoop have blown off yet. Come to think of it, not much dust to speak of, either. Or sand, since we are in Florida.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Pressurized cabin... hmmm... if you ran a hose from the exhaust of the tow vehicle into the interior of the cabin, the exhaust would pressurize the cabin and keep the dust out. And the faster the rig went, the higher the pressure inside to keep the dust out! Yeah, yeah... that's it! That's the ticket!!!!

Ok... maybe not...

Rog
Hi Rog,

Not to mention all those pesky critters that like to take up residence in Airstreams without our permission.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:45 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield

Not to mention all those pesky critters that like to take up residence in Airstreams without our permission.
I certainly would not want to mess with any of them that survived that treatment.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I certainly would not want to mess with any of them that survived that treatment.
Any that survive that probably ain’t from around here anyway. At least not from this parsec of the universe. Gassed aliens can be so cranky.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Gassed aliens can be so cranky.
If you don't believe that, ask Sigourney Weaver...
Now that we've taken this thread about dust, and turned it into a thread about carbon monoxide breathing alien livestock, does anybody else have any suggestions? About the dust...
Old 09-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
With everyone's good, and sometimes... well worthless advice, I hope this attached photo of our Safari will give you an idea of the efforts we have made to solve our dust problem. (Taken at the Kalispell, Montana airport this summer before we finished our Montana vacation in our resdesigned Air Stream B-17 Safari with the enhanced LS package...
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2071.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	44578
Old 09-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Ray,

That explains a lot. I really like the conversion. My guess is that you are getting dust in through the gun ports. Are the waist guns simply open windows? Next time, perhaps you could consider the B29 pressurized conversion.

Great pic, thanks.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Heading to Jackson Center (for October 8)

We will be working our way to Jackson Center, Ohio to have the "dirt enhaler" problem figured out. As things work out, the work I did under the fender panels will not get tested... no dirt roads on the way. From reading on the Forum, the AS mechanics at JC have their tested ways to find problems. We are encouraged. A little dust is always expected, but not what we experience!

Since we are traveling that far (from Denver), we will make a list of whatever items that can be checked and repaired if necessary. Since we do all repairs while on the road (no choice), we have never use warranty coverage. Other than when the trailer was purchased, the solar panel was not wired to the batteries and connected by our AS dealer before we left for our first trip in 2006.

There use to be good fossil trilobite locations (Devonian) near Silica and Sylvania, Ohio, near Toledo. May as well make the side trip and see what is still open to collectors. Southeast of Indianapolis, Indiana has some outcrops of shale (Ordovician) worth checking out too!
Old 09-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund
We will be working our way to Jackson Center, Ohio to have the "dirt enhaler" problem figured out. As things work out, the work I did under the fender panels will not get tested... no dirt roads on the way. From reading on the Forum, the AS mechanics at JC have their tested ways to find problems. We are encouraged. A little dust is always expected, but not what we experience!

Since we are traveling that far (from Denver), we will make a list of whatever items that can be checked and repaired if necessary. Since we do all repairs while on the road (no choice), we have never use warranty coverage. Other than when the trailer was purchased, the solar panel was not wired to the batteries and connected by our AS dealer before we left for our first trip in 2006.

There use to be good fossil trilobite locations (Devonian) near Silica and Sylvania, Ohio, near Toledo. May as well make the side trip and see what is still open to collectors. Southeast of Indianapolis, Indiana has some outcrops of shale (Ordovician) worth checking out too!
Two things that you can do, that will help.

1. Install a fiberglass filter on the backside of the reefer vent. It must be removed and cleaned periodically.

2. When you travel, you can leave the rear side of the vent covers open about an inch or so. That creates a small "vacuum" when the trailer is in motion. It also helps keeping the interior temperature lower that the outside temperature when your traveling thru a hot climate.

Of course when you stop, the interior will warm up.

I did those things back in the early 70's for a period of 4 years, and for about 75,000 miles.

Interesting enough, the vents can be slightly opened at the rear when traveling in the rain, without a drop of water getting into the trailer.

Andy
Old 09-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #24
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
intersting idea about pressurizing the interior.

i have a 20foot wells cargo that is for hauling things with gasoline in them.

it was factory built with this in mind, one vent facing forward and one facing back.

it gets very little dust inside.

john
Old 09-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund
our resdesigned Air Stream B-17 Safari with the enhanced LS package...
Imagine trying to polish THAT puppy!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
In Nevada you do as the guy in AK said, close the windows of your truck and run the heater blower on vent. (leave the temp on cold) So maybe if you had a roof vent fan in the A/S that would blow inwards, that would help. Works on trucks until the bug dust bow wave starts to wash over the hood of the truck. Then you gotta slow down and start over.
Perry
Old 09-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #27
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I've shown pictures of our roof vent configuration to several old time RVers, and they immediately said, "I bet you don't get much dust in your trailer".
Turns out the reversed maxx air cover idea has been around for years, for just that reason. The only difference is to put the forward-facing one on the rear, behind the air conditioner, this will help keep the thing from being ripped off the roof, and keep bugs from hitting the screen on the vent.