Old 10-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Rusty Jack

I've got the old Marvel coupler and manual jack on. I can't remove it until I get the caster base off the bottom. And I MUST at least get the caster base off, since it is quite badly damaged.

The lower post of the jack has a groove in it. The caster base slides onto the lower post, and has a set screw that seats in that groove. Set screw is long gone, but the steel parts are pretty firmly fused with rust and that unbeatable adhesive called time.

I've soaked it in PB Blaster and WD-40, and I've beat on it with a hammer. My next steps were to apply heat with a propane torch, and apply a bigger hammer (I've at least two more sizes of hammer before I resort to the big sldge). But I thought I should ask whether there might be a trick I'm missing when it comes to these things.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If you have reason to believe that the jack is just as rusty as the caster base, cut the caster base off, with either a torch (quick) or a hacksaw (slow).

Obviously if you want to salvage the jack to reuse it, cutting the caster base off is not an option.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you go the "cut" rather than the "torch" approach - a Sawzall with a couple of metal cutting blades might be a bit quicker than a hack saw.

Bob
Old 10-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
If you saw my other post, you saw that I was a bit frustrated at repeatedly driving out to where the trailer is stored. So when I arrived, I went ahead and worked out my frustrations with a bigger hammer.

It worked, caster base is removed.

Next step I need to break the weld where the safety chains were attached to the jack. Then I can (hopefully) pull the jack, and potentially repair rather than replace both the jack and the coupler.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would rig some way to keep the area saturated with penetrating oil for a while. Stacking up a big pile of oily rags and going away for a couple days is *not* the way to do it. A lawn chair, a good book and a can of oil is a better approach.

Bob
Old 10-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
After banging things around, I discovered the safety chains were not welded to the jack but only to the lower mounting plate. The jack slid out of the coupler with just some gentle persuasion (medium hammer).

It's in surprisingly good shape for nearly 50 years of exposure. The outer tube I think dried out because it was fully exposed to the sun, and also probably got some occasional paint. The part of the outer tube that sat between the two mounting plates, however, probably stayed more wet (the space between the two mounting plates probably trapped a lot of leaves/needles/dirt and stayed wet). That part of the outer tube is so badly pitted it is definitely suffering major structural weakness, but I need to figure out how much it matters, and whether there's a way to fix it.

I can't decide whether it's worth trying to keep using this. A new 1,000lb capacity Atwood costs less than $50. the rest of th eoriginal jack works well, and is useable shape other than the caster base.