Old 06-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Lake Orion , Michigan
Rust Coatings-Help?

I took up my rear furniture(twin beds),carpet, and rotted plywood (about a 1 1/2' across the back)and guess what I found? You got it, lot'so rust on frame and rear cross member-some low holes but I think still serviceable.
Now question is-- POR 15, Picklex, Corroseal, Ospho or Jasco. I think I read somewhere that one of these is okay over paint-would love to do a 1 step---a spray would be good because I'd like to reach under plywood, but not neccessary. Please advise...have owned this AS for a week and I'd love to get on the road soon...also piece of steel 3 inches by 3 feet by 1/8 is in rear c-channel-plywood datto'd out to accomodate --is this normal.

Bud ---Lake Orion, Mi.
1980 31' Excella II (we're havin' fun now)

Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'd say clean it up a bit, get rid of any flaking paint or rust, and put POR-15 on it. That stuff is like armor when it's dried. Can't spray it though. Maybe you could use a different product for the stuff you can't reach without spraying.

Sounds like you're getting right into it for only having it a week!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Lake Orion , Michigan
POR 15 2-part?

Can POR be put on as a one part system--the idea of washing after the first part application does not thrill me--as in getting everything and every where wet...and if it doesn't get any sun does it need paint??

Thanks for the replies. Bud
Old 06-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I'd say clean it up a bit, get rid of any flaking paint or rust, and put POR-15 on it. That stuff is like armor when it's dried. Can't spray it though. Maybe you could use a different product for the stuff you can't reach without spraying.

Sounds like you're getting right into it for only having it a week!

Coincidentally, I was just thinking about using something like POR15 on the inside and outside of the underneath storage hatches on my AS.

IE the elec. cord box, water connection box, and the empty storage box on the other side.

What put me off though is that if I understand correctly, I would need to remove all of the existing paint, not just loose flaking paint, in order to use the POR 15 successfully.

That wouldn't be too dfficult on the outside of the boxes where I could just use a wire wheel on an angle grinder, but would be more of a task getting all traces of existing paint off the inside of the boxes - maybe I could use a paint stripper.

Do you understand that it is only necessary to remove flaking paint before using POR 15? I have never used this product but it seems to be highly rated.

Thanks ........... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow Basement Rust / Airstreams Silent Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by budal View Post
Now question is-- POR 15, Picklex, Corroseal, Ospho or Jasco. I think I read somewhere that one of these is okay over paint-would love to do a 1 step---a spray would be good because I'd like to reach under plywood, but not neccessary. Please advise...have owned this AS for a week and I'd love to get on the road soon...also piece of steel 3 inches by 3 feet by 1/8 is in rear c-channel-plywood datto'd out to accomodate --is this normal.

Bud ---Lake Orion, Mi.
1980 31' Excella II (we're havin' fun now)
Ospho & Jasco (rust converters) are very similar (I prefer Ospho) Jasco available at Lowes for about $7-8 per quart. Ospho at hdw and paint stores. After converting the rust you still need to paint or ideally prime & paint. Red Oxide primer or Zinc Chromate primer (better) if you can find it.

Never heard of Picklex or Corroseal but intend to Google or Bing.com them asap.

As for POR-15 which is certainly touted often on these forums, It is not to be taken litely (nor applied lightly ). That is; it costs way too damm much to not do it exactly right. Also if you get it on yourself (which you absolutely will) only time will get it off (weeks).
IMHO it would be almost impossible to apply POR-15 correctly from above thru a hole. And certainly you are gonna get it all over your working hand & forearm.
POR-15 recommends a chem coat(rust converter) first (their product) , then 2 coats of the topping paint. Smart users buy topping in two colors so they can be sure the 2nd coat covered 100%.

I do not think a serviceable job can be done with any (can) spray product unless you open up and get to the area with more working room.
Why bother if you are not gonna do it right? Might be better to cover the hole up and get back to it after camping season. It ain't easy to get it done but it is very satisfying to know the basement is in good shape.
Oh and I would document my work with invoices and pictures including those of you doing the work, reason=if you go to sell later it will be good evidence.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
It sounds hard to do from above but if it helps POR15 is sprayable. I sprayed 3 quarts a few weeks ago and I didn't even need to thin it at all. Getting the gun in the space might be more trouble than it's worth though.

As I recall from their FAQ section you can POR over existing paint just fine BUT you will not get all the benefit of the treatment as it only going to be as strong as the base layer, so the original paint. If you go with POR you'd want to mist the steel with metal ready for a while then wash it down or wipe it down so it's clean and dry. Then get the POR on with about 4 hours between coats.

Maybe it's worth dropping the belly in that area to make it easier and more thorough.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Some POR-15 is better than none. If it means using just a pint carefully with a tiny brush so be it IF IT MEANS using the trailer and not drowning in minutia, loosing focus and loosing warm weather (Michigan!) and just for comparison, I used nothing to chemically prep the worst spots and it still looks like factory fresh undercoating even where its been exposed now for 2+ years.

The second coat mainly worked to fill the tiny air bubbles that appeared in roughest areas on my frame where the brush over coated pits and pockets, and put some extra paint on high spots that were brushed thin. I used semi-gloss black and the with glossy wet paint it was easy to spot what was done or needed attention.

When I worked on the damaged frame/spars/outriggers I used a air powered die grinder with circular wire brush to cut away any remaining paint and the 3M scotch-brite biscuit discs to clean up rusted metal, not things you can do with limited access.

If you do a quick patch now some light sanding will prep the POR-15 you applied for a re-coat at a later time. POR-15 will not be undercut, rust won't move laterally underneath it so what you do now will not be 'ruined' by something an inch out of your reach, that will be its own new disaster.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Lake Orion , Michigan
Corroseal

I think I'm going with Corroseal---rust converter and primer in one...military uses it---check out website---Does anybody have experience with it? Washed some interior panels today--then light sanded and applied 1 coat of Kilz....We're on it now!!! Bud