Old 12-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
Running wire for rear-view camera

Fellow Airstreamers ---

I have bought a wired, backup, rear-view camera system. The camera mounts on the trailer's roof, above the rear window. The camera is wired, so a wire needs to go from the camera, on the roof in back, to the trailer hitch area, in the front.

Question: How should the wire run, from the camera to the hitch area?

Alternatives:

1. From the back to the front of the roof, then down the front of the trailer to the hitch? Among other issues, it's unclear to me how to fasten the wire to the roof, as I don't want to puncture the roof with holes.

2. From the back of the roof, down along one side of the rear window, then under the trailer to the hitch? Presumably, I could fasten the wire to spots under the trailer with plastic ties.

3. ???

I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Richard Wills
Seattle area

Old 12-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I mounted a small camera just below the rear window and ran the wiring under the trailer using cable clips screwed into the belly plan and plastic tie wraps where there was already something like a gas line I could use for support.
I powered the camera from the running lites so if the lights are on the camera is also

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Richard, I realize this may be too late, but the Voyager wireless is really the simple solution. Camera mounts right below center rear clearance light (you pull power from that light to the camera). Monitor mounts on your windshield using a suction device. It connects with a wireless...has a microphone on the camera unit, speakers on the monitor, has IR for night vision. Trust me. The easiest way to see what's behind your trailer without running endless wires between walls, down under trailer, up to tongue, etc., etc.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I just installed a Tadi Bros wireless system. Easy to do. Did not want to run wire the length of the trailer, then under the truck and into the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Richard,

This may also be a little late for you, but maybe not for others considering a rear view camera for their Airstream. Our rearview camera system, like the Voyager, is also wireless and does not need to have wire run through your trailer to the camera. The major difference is that our's uses your smartphone (iPhone or Android) for rear display in the TV cab. It also has infrared night vision for backing at night in total darkness.

Wired systems such as the one you purchased are best used in a motor home where you can have one continuous wire run from the camera to the display. For more info on the RV Rearview Camera System click the link below my name.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
Richard,

This may also be a little late for you, but maybe not for others considering a rear view camera for their Airstream. Our rearview camera system, like the Voyager, is also wireless and does not need to have wire run through your trailer to the camera. The major difference is that our's uses your smartphone (iPhone or Android) for rear display in the TV cab. It also has infrared night vision for backing at night in total darkness.

Wired systems such as the one you purchased are best used in a motor home where you can have one continuous wire run from the camera to the display. For more info on the RV Rearview Camera System click the link below my name.
Could you please tell me what model camera you have? Thanks!
Old 12-12-2015, 06:46 AM   #7
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Try "www.rvrearviewcamera.com". Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Wireless camera reception

I had heard that the aluminum interfered with the wireless reception. Does yours work well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Richard, I realize this may be too late, but the Voyager wireless is really the simple solution. Camera mounts right below center rear clearance light (you pull power from that light to the camera). Monitor mounts on your windshield using a suction device. It connects with a wireless...has a microphone on the camera unit, speakers on the monitor, has IR for night vision. Trust me. The easiest way to see what's behind your trailer without running endless wires between walls, down under trailer, up to tongue, etc., etc.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
wired camera

I have a wired camera on the back of the trailer over the licence plate, powered with the 'running lights' not the backup lights. I ran the wire from back to front under the plastic/rubber insert that covers the rivets where the top and bottom panels on the driver's side come together. The wire emerges near the LP tanks in the front, and joins the big 7-conductor wire. I also added a second camera on the back of my TV (tundra) over the licence plate. When I am preparing to hitch up the trailer, I back into place with the truck-mounted camera. When I hitch, I switch the plug going to the cab to connect the wire that goes to the unit at the back of the trailer. I love it that I can always tell who is getting ready to pass me, and whether I have room to change lanes.

Good luck, and enjoy your travels.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
look at this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...ra-144266.html

and this one: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ras-83497.html

I used the Voyager for a 2600 mile loop through Canada and it worked great, though I did not drill holes in my end cap. See the above link for details.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Dunn , North Carolina
We bought a wireless that works with android cell phone....picked the 12v from the center running light...removed light used my grinder 2 cut all channel for wiring...12 v for modem comes from radio...system works great
Old 12-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Here is my install using the rvrearview camera. It works exactly as advertised and I am very pleased with its performance. I have installed the booster and get reception inside Cracker Barrel. I took the power from the light over the bed and installed a little switch there as well as a little LED. The router resides in the front cupboard.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1449944947.847628.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	253767
Old 12-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
Reply from Original Poster re Rear-view Camera System

Fellow Airstreamers ---

Thank you for your many comments. I appreciate your generosity.

I spent substantial time on the Internet reviewing various backup systems & especially users' many, many comments about them & finally settled on a "Backup Camera System with Trailer Tow Quick Connect Kit" from rearviewsafety.com, at $269. I wanted a dedicated monitor, which eliminated systems using a smartphone or a tablet as the monitor. I initially wanted a wireless system, but I read too many negative comments about them in general & other comments that they don't work well in aluminum trailers in particular; therefore, I abandoned going wireless & got a wired system. Other posts in AirForums recommended Voyager systems, but other systems, such as those of rearviewsafety & tadibrothers seemed to offer similar performance at substantially less cost.

This morning, I got into the trailer again to consider the idea of mounting the camera not on the outside, on the roof, but inside, under the lockers above the rear window (the camera would be placed horizontally in the middle of the rear window & vertically just under the top of the rear window). I need to do a control experiment to determine the effect of the image's having to go through the rear window screen & glass vs. neither of those if the camera were mounted externally. It would seem to me easy to route the wire along the gap between the lockers & the windows to the end of the window next to the door, & then route the wire down the side of the window & to the floor, & then drill a hole through the floor & route the wire through the hole & then along the bottom of the trailer to the A-frame/hitch area.

Again, I welcome & appreciate your generous thoughts.

Richard Wills
Seattle area & it would be OK if it stopped raining for a while; this November & December has alternated here between cold & wet
Old 12-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I did a similar install as Jim. Works great, no new holes in the exterior skin.