Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #21
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Englewood , Ohio
I purchased a wired camera system from www.rvrearviewcamera.com and installed it on our 1996 Excella. I refused to make any holes in the skin so I mounted the camera on the rear bumper, ran the cable under the AS attaching to existing wiring with zip ties or by mounting cable holders to the pan (excess wiring is store in the rear pullout under the bumper). Since this unit is totally powered from the tow vehicle I mounted the cable on the front a frame. I mounted the tow vehicle cable next to the existing factory trailer hookup and ran the cable under my 2015 GMC Sierra HD2500 bringing it in to the passenger compartment through the firewall. To minimize wiring I used a 12v lighter plug for power and mounted two hangers to the rear of the monitor so I can hang it over the factory rear view mirror. I wired the camera to always be on when the monitor is on and powered that way it's a great safety camera as I can see everything behind the AS while driving with great night vision too! The AS wiring is connected to the Sierra by a curled cable and it provides for an easy hook up or disconnect. When I'm not towing the monitor is stored under the rear seat and the power cable is hidden under the front dash.
This system and hookup works great, was inexpensive, easy to install and movable if we ever get a different AS.
garympeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Is that the correct link? I went there for a looksee and it seems to show a wireless camera.

Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garympeck View Post
I purchased a wired camera system from www.rvrearviewcamera.com and installed it on our 1996 Excella. I refused to make any holes in the skin so I mounted the camera on the rear bumper, ran the cable under the AS attaching to existing wiring with zip ties or by mounting cable holders to the pan (excess wiring is store in the rear pullout under the bumper). Since this unit is totally powered from the tow vehicle I mounted the cable on the front a frame. I mounted the tow vehicle cable next to the existing factory trailer hookup and ran the cable under my 2015 GMC Sierra HD2500 bringing it in to the passenger compartment through the firewall. To minimize wiring I used a 12v lighter plug for power and mounted two hangers to the rear of the monitor so I can hang it over the factory rear view mirror. I wired the camera to always be on when the monitor is on and powered that way it's a great safety camera as I can see everything behind the AS while driving with great night vision too! The AS wiring is connected to the Sierra by a curled cable and it provides for an easy hook up or disconnect. When I'm not towing the monitor is stored under the rear seat and the power cable is hidden under the front dash.
This system and hookup works great, was inexpensive, easy to install and movable if we ever get a different AS.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #23
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Englewood , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by garympeck View Post
So sorry. Here is the correct link //http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/rvs-770613-213-backup-camera-system-trailer-kit-fifth-wheel-5th-wheel.html
garympeck is offline   Reply With Quote