Old 12-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Shakopee , Minnesota
Camera wire run

I installed a wired camera on my trailer. When I was doing the restoration on my trailer I had access to the trailer frame. The banana wrap on the RS needed to be replaced. So I ran two cables from the front thru a hole in the wrap by the A frame down the inside of the frame and out the back of the frame. I had access there also because of missing pan metal. One cable was routed up the back to the center license plate area. The second cable I routed up into the rear bedroom in case I needed to mount a camera inside. Have Not done anything with that one. The cable is stored in the box in the front behind the LP tanks. When I need to hook it up I run the cable in the truck box thru the door and to the front. My cable has both the power and signal in the same cable. In the cab I plug the power into the monitor and camera. Works good. Only disadvantage is that I have to remove the cable from the TV when I unhook. Need to come up with a connector for rear of TV. Other things more important to do like finding a leak in the gray water system. Good luck on your project.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #16
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Good luck with your install. I have never heard anyone with a Voyager issue with the aluminum in our Airstreams. BTW, they have them for sale at the AS Service Center in JC. Though, I didn't buy mine there -- and I did my own install.

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
RWills - for whatever it's worth, I had my Voyager wireless installed at Airstream (the Mothership). We have a 27' flying cloud and from camera to receiver/screen is nearly 45' - no issues with reception through aluminum at all.

The only problem was the interference of my wireless TPMS monitor which I solved by separating them about 3' on the dash.

Been a dream for me - best part is continuous monitoring of driving situation behind me. It's like a rear view mirror for the trailer only better.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
bump to subscribe this thread
Old 12-14-2015, 07:23 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I did a wired installation of a $30 Pyle backup camera that has a matching camera on my TV. This goes to the double-DIN stereo in the TV dash. I matched the connectors that came with the camera, and made up a long cable from an RCA stereo cable. It's a good system, as I can use the TV camera to hook up (with the assistance of one of those magnet-ball things- when I touch it, the hitch is positioned perfectly), then swap over the cable to the AS camera. I also added some ATV-type LED lights on the back bumper of the AS, and on the rear hatch props of the TV. I light up half the campground when I'm parking!

I ran the cable through the license plate hole, and along the curb side, then out the front just under the main plug. I have a big wad of wires there anyway, so one more wasn't a big difference.

TimeForFun: I have a good mini-plug for your camera power for you- I had to buy many to get one. PM your details and I'll be happy to send it to you. An RCA plug with a gender-bender bullet thing on it works great for the signal.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
email sent... been there.. done this..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #21
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Apache Junction , Arizona
I purchased a wired camera system from www.rvrearviewcamera.com and installed it on our 1996 Excella. I refused to make any holes in the skin so I mounted the camera on the rear bumper, ran the cable under the AS attaching to existing wiring with zip ties or by mounting cable holders to the pan (excess wiring is store in the rear pullout under the bumper). Since this unit is totally powered from the tow vehicle I mounted the cable on the front a frame. I mounted the tow vehicle cable next to the existing factory trailer hookup and ran the cable under my 2015 GMC Sierra HD2500 bringing it in to the passenger compartment through the firewall. To minimize wiring I used a 12v lighter plug for power and mounted two hangers to the rear of the monitor so I can hang it over the factory rear view mirror. I wired the camera to always be on when the monitor is on and powered that way it's a great safety camera as I can see everything behind the AS while driving with great night vision too! The AS wiring is connected to the Sierra by a curled cable and it provides for an easy hook up or disconnect. When I'm not towing the monitor is stored under the rear seat and the power cable is hidden under the front dash.
This system and hookup works great, was inexpensive, easy to install and movable if we ever get a different AS.
garympeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Is that the correct link? I went there for a looksee and it seems to show a wireless camera.

Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garympeck View Post
I purchased a wired camera system from www.rvrearviewcamera.com and installed it on our 1996 Excella. I refused to make any holes in the skin so I mounted the camera on the rear bumper, ran the cable under the AS attaching to existing wiring with zip ties or by mounting cable holders to the pan (excess wiring is store in the rear pullout under the bumper). Since this unit is totally powered from the tow vehicle I mounted the cable on the front a frame. I mounted the tow vehicle cable next to the existing factory trailer hookup and ran the cable under my 2015 GMC Sierra HD2500 bringing it in to the passenger compartment through the firewall. To minimize wiring I used a 12v lighter plug for power and mounted two hangers to the rear of the monitor so I can hang it over the factory rear view mirror. I wired the camera to always be on when the monitor is on and powered that way it's a great safety camera as I can see everything behind the AS while driving with great night vision too! The AS wiring is connected to the Sierra by a curled cable and it provides for an easy hook up or disconnect. When I'm not towing the monitor is stored under the rear seat and the power cable is hidden under the front dash.
This system and hookup works great, was inexpensive, easy to install and movable if we ever get a different AS.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #23
Looking 4 new adventures

1996 28' Excella
Apache Junction , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by garympeck View Post
So sorry. Here is the correct link //http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/rvs-770613-213-backup-camera-system-trailer-kit-fifth-wheel-5th-wheel.html

garympeck is offline   Reply With Quote