Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Running a wire harness?

I am in the process of installing a battery monitor in our 2012 16' International.
I have decided that the best solution is to put the shunt near the battery on the front of the trailer frame. I can get my harness to the floor in the closet near the hot water heater very easily but that is the last of the easy part.

Having never seen one of these apart I have questions before I remove a whole pile of rivets! It appears as though I need to remove all kinds of things to access this area. Has anyone got any sage advice before I begin?

I have a question about rivets too. I asked my dealer and got a vague 3/16 in" rivet response, when asked what material the rivet should be he said stainless. I notice in the parts books that all of the rivets listed for this size trailer are 1/8" of various types, materials, grip range etc. I am thinking of just ordering some of each type listed so that I can do my best to reproduce the work done at the factory. Any thoughts?

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
OK, upon a more detailed inspection (driven by the desire NOT to remove that belly pan....), I think that I can run the wires behind the galley to the area below the dinette. From there it is easy again. Answered my own question!
Bruce
Old 03-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
My solution was to route the wires on the interior, hiding them under lips, behind curtian tracks and through cabinets. If you do drill out rivets, use 1/8 all aluminum (core included). IMHO, through the walls or belly would be a tough way to go.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
.... IMHO, through the walls or belly would be a tough way to go.
No kidding! The more I look the more I don't want to get in there. I'm glad that I won't need to for awhile anyway....
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 03-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Bruce

Please post back after you've used the battery monitor for a while and share your thoughts. Not very many people have them and I'm trying to determine how useful they are in practice.

The proper rivets and tools for installation and removal are available at Vintage Trailer Supply, should you again contemplate the removal of panels.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Jammer,
For what it is worth I have used battery monitors for about 20 years on our two sailboats. The first boat had an Ample Power monitor that is no longer made and the current boat uses a Xantrex. I find them invaluable for managing your battery bank. I personally like the ability to keep a count of amps used and to monitor battery voltage at various states of charge. Once you learn the nature of your battery and charging systems you can easily gauge their performance.
They certainly take the guess work out of battery bank management and when using a volt meter only you are guessing.
Bruce