Old 02-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
Roof vent question

Ok, maybe this should go in the stupid mistake thread but it's a very specific question. The Nemo blizzard dumped about a foot of wet snow on our 2006 Safari. In the process of removing it I managed to crack one of the roof vents. Before I covered the vent to prevent leakage into the trailer I forgot to look to see what kind/make it is. The other vent is already covered as well.

This is my second 2006 Safari and I did replace the vent lids on the other one. They were the Jensen type, not the Elixir.

Can anyone assure me with reasonable certainty that these Jensen pin style vents are standard or should I get my butt back up on the ladder and pull off all the protection?

Have mercy it's still cold as hell!

Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
We have a 2005, 19-foot Bambi; and the vent cover below is the one that fit our OEM vents. They only last about a year in Arizona, so I always carried a spare and changed them in the fall.

If you can get replacement lids made of polycarbonate, instead of polypropylene, they are worth the extra price. Polycarbonate isn't affected by UV, and they'll last much longer. The polypropylene covers crumble to pieces after about 12-18 months (at least, in Arizona).

I have since replaced both vents with FantasticFans, which have polycarbonate lids and last much longer (six years, so far, and they still look OK).

"New Style Jensen, without pins", available in white and smoke:

Jensen 14 X 14 Inch RV Smoke Vent lid J7291RSM-C New Style

Note: Link supplied for illustration purposes only. This part is widely available, possibly at better prices.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Yep....that one looks familiar! Thanks.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
If you would like the vent covers to last longer spray paint them with several coats of automotive paint. I used white but I would think automotive clear coat would work. Let the uv eat the paint and not the plastic.
Jim N5TJZ Air# 174
2012 International Serenity 28
2005 Safari 25 SS Traded
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Vent Cover

In June of 2012, a hail storm cracked my fantastic vent cover. Took it off and went down to Camping World for a replacement. Didn't know it, but the covers are lifetime guaranteed. Bottom line, got a replacement cover for free.
Doug2009FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Wow. Thanks for the great advice guys.

On a side note @ Jim Clark: did you use the F-150 with the 25 Footer?

I'm curious. We just sold a 20' and bought the 25'. My Tacoma was perfect for the 20. I know I am a bit under-powered right now and am contemplating my next TV move. Any thoughts would be appreciated.