Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Rivits and Rivet gun

Having been wanting to get started replacing a couple rivets on the outside and several on the inside of trailer. Would someone please let me know what size, type, to get for the 2006 Bambi SE 75th anniversary. And advise me on a rivet gun. There are so many to choose from and I do not have a clue. In addition, I believe there is a tool that shaves/smooth's the rivet heads once installed. If there is something else I will need, please let me know. Thanking you for any advice offered. Many thanks.
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Before you replace the rivets you should find out what caused them to fail.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Rivits and Rivet gun

The tool that shaves the heads of Olympic rivets is around 300 bucks. Probably not worth it for a few rivets. I did around a hundred Olympic rivets on my trailer, and just used an air side grinder to grind them down and polish them. I'll look up what size it was I used, but mine is a '74. Don't know if they'll be the same size on yours or not...

As far as a rivet gun, I bought mine at Harbor Freight, if that tells you anything about the quality... ; )

-Red, not as omniscient as he thought...