Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #1

1974 27' Overlander
Chula Vista , California
Rivets

I want to purchase an Olympic rivet shaver and rivets for my husband for Christmas but I don't know what size to get. We have a 1974 Overlander Airstream. Also, will the rivet gun he has work with the Olympic rivets or do I need to purchase something specific to install the Olympic rivets?
dlhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhernandez View Post
I want to purchase an Olympic rivet shaver and rivets for my husband for Christmas but I don't know what size to get. We have a 1974 Overlander Airstream. Also, will the rivet gun he has work with the Olympic rivets or do I need to purchase something specific to install the Olympic rivets?
A standard rivet gun will work with the olympic rivets. I am not at the shop, so I can't answer the rivet size question.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhernandez View Post
A good regular pop rivet gun will properly install the Olympic rivets.

There is only one size of shaver that's used for the Olympics.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Lander , Wyoming
You can find the rivet shaver and olympic rivets at Vintage trailer supply. In fact i believe they sell a kit that has the correct rivets, shaver and puller. The correct size for exterior olympics is 5/32 in size. These are blind/pop rivets. The shaver is pricey but worth it if you are doing a lot of this type of rivets. Ed
n2batr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
What a woman! Kudos on picking the perfect gift for your husband. Hope he responds with as thoughtful a gift!
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #6

1974 27' Overlander
Chula Vista , California
Yup - that's were I was getting it from -- I just didn't know which of the two sizes. Thanks for the response.
dlhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
BTW, Airstream in Jackson Center sells a rivet kit (I just bought one last week). It includes a good quality riveter with a swivel head, an assortment of AS specific rivets (including Olympic rivets), with the part numbers for replacement, and the shaver, all in a nice hard shell case - cost is $394.95. I was in for service at the time and they showed me how to install the Olympic rivets and shave them (hands on for me). The kit also includes the #20 & #30 drill bits. Did you know that there is a neoprene seal on the back of the heads of the Olympic rivets to ensure that they are waterproof?
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
BTW, Airstream in Jackson Center sells a rivet kit (I just bought one last week). It includes a good quality riveter with a swivel head, an assortment of AS specific rivets (including Olympic rivets), with the part numbers for replacement, and the shaver, all in a nice hard shell case - cost is $394.95. I was in for service at the time and they showed me how to install the Olympic rivets and shave them (hands on for me). The kit also includes the #20 & #30 drill bits. Did you know that there is a neoprene seal on the back of the heads of the Olympic rivets to ensure that they are waterproof?
The # 20 drill bit, is the wrong size. Check the size of a 20 and them 21 and compare it to the rivet diameter.

The washer, is great, FOR NOW.

When it rots by being in the sun, every one of those rivets becomes a "water leak".

Then, you can replace all of them with standard Olympics and use a little Vulkem sealer on the backside of the rivet head.

Now, your opinion of the washered Olympics will surely change.

They are good for an emergency temporary fix PERIOD.

Sometimes Airstream needs to do a little more products study.

Andy
Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Andy, when I spoke with Dave Schumacher he told me that the #21 drill bit was a tighter fit and that was what they used before - in fact he suggested I buy a #21. The service department is using #20 and that is what is included in the kit. I didn't know the downside of the neoprene seal. I do have Vulkem which I can use. I would need to source a small supply (say 2 dozen) of standard Olympic rivets. So far, I only had one rivet that needed to be replaced (a buck rivet that came loose); all my other rivets are fine.
WBCCI 8080
Old 11-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy, when I spoke with Dave Schumacher he told me that the #21 drill bit was a tighter fit and that was what they used before - in fact he suggested I buy a #21. The service department is using #20 and that is what is included in the kit. I didn't know the downside of the neoprene seal. I do have Vulkem which I can use. I would need to source a small supply (say 2 dozen) of standard Olympic rivets. So far, I only had one rivet that needed to be replaced (a buck rivet that came loose); all my other rivets are fine.
Some 40 plus years ago, when I was with the Insurance Division of Airstream, I fought with them about the # 20 and # 21 issue.

They were told that if they wanted to use the # 20, that was fine, but we would charge them back for every water leak that caused addition damage to a trailer they repaired.

WOW.

They changed their tune in a hurry.

Of course the # 20 makes it easier. So, a # 19 would make it easier as well. The point is to have top quality body repairs, that we were paying for. If not, then charge backs would be made.

They agreed, but time certainly can alter things.

Dave Schumann was not around then, but Don Ambos, the guy that does the factory tours was the service manager. Ask him, he will tell you.

To me, using the Olympic rivet with a washer, is without a doubt the lousiest way Airstream body work can be done.

To say the least in another way, it's first class POOR WORKMANSHIP.

Olympic rivets cost at least 60 cents each. If you buy a package of 100, the cost drops to a little over 20 cents each.

You can also buy drill bit kits, that have # 30, # 21 and # 11 drill bits in them. Airstream repairs use each of those sizes.

Use the Olympics you bought, but get rid of those washers.

Andy
Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Fair Oaks , California
What a sweetheart !! Here you go.
Blind Pop Riveting
Argosy Heir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy Heir View Post
What a sweetheart !! Here you go.
Blind Pop Riveting
Great!! So I can buy the rivets from Vintage Trailer Supply. I assume we're using the 5/32" Olympic rivets. I had gone into town (Pensacola - I'm hosting at Mystic Springs) yesterday, to get some stuff at Harbor Freight, but they had no number drill bit sets. Next trip in I'll go to the hardware store on the corner of 10 Mile Rd & Hwy 29.

Interestingly enough, when I was at the factory a couple of weeks ago, I spoke with Don Ambros and got him fired up about traveling out to Quartzsite with us next winter. It seems he and his wife love browsing through flea markets, and there is none bigger and more diversified that Q.

Andy, so you say I should put a dab of Vukem on the underside of the head of the Olympic rivet and then slip it into the hole and fasten it thereby assuring myself of a watertight seal that won't break down with time and hot sun?
WBCCI 8080
Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy, so you say I should put a dab of Vukem on the underside of the head of the Olympic rivet and then slip it into the hole and fasten it thereby assuring myself of a watertight seal that won't break down with time and hot sun?
Yes, but if it has a washer, TAKE THEM OFF!!!

Vulkem is a great sealer, that never totally hardens.

Also, I should mention that when Olympic rivets with washers are used, in short order the metal starts moving, because their grip strength is far less than the Olympic with Vulkem. HELLO WATER LEAKS. Obviously, the washer acts as a gasket, and not as a fastener. Add to that using a # 20 drill bit that is "DOUBLE OVERSIZE", instead of the tight fitting # 21 drill bit hole.

Several Airstream on-line part sources are around besides Vintage, that also have Olympics and a couple of them even have better prices.

Andy
Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I picked up a #21 bit and it's now in my kit. What is the #11 for? It seems quite large and I don't have rivets that size in the kit.
WBCCI 8080
Old 12-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I picked up a #21 bit and it's now in my kit. What is the #11 for? It seems quite large and I don't have rivets that size in the kit.
The # 11 drill bit is used for 3/16 inch pop rivets.

You may find some on the underbelly. If not, then when reattaching the underbelly because some smaller rivets have failed, install wide head 3/16 inch pop rivets that get the job done very well.

When we designed our drill bit kit, we also took into consideration as to how much each size was typically needed, so we came up with 3 #30, 2 #21 and 1 #11. Seems to work out ok.

Andy
Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
So Andy, do you have a kit available? Every time I try Vintage they are out of part of it. You can't place an order to be filled later. Very frustrating!!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
So Andy, do you have a kit available? Every time I try Vintage they are out of part of it. You can't place an order to be filled later. Very frustrating!!
Yes indeed, as that kit is very popular.

Part # 79015.

Back orders cannot be totally avoided, but "complete" filling of an order, is an absolute must.

Sometimes, a dealer cannot receive some parts because of the vendor.

Case in point, some windows that are popular, can take 4 to 6 weeks for a dealer to receive them from Airstream. Sad, but something we have to all live with, even though a dealer would normally have some in stock, for that very reason.

Stock piling parts like that, add to inventory costs very quickly.

All a part of doing business, or at least trying.

Andy
Old 12-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Andy,

Thanks will order later when I can get to a computer. I understand about stock pilling parts, but not being able to back order something is the issue. I have been at this for a couple weeks and i stead or it is on order and just waiting will they get everything I have to continually check back. I ironically every time I check back a different part of the kit isnt in stock.....the latest was they were out of the rivets. I fear that when they get those it they will be out of the riveter and so on and so forth.