Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #1

1971 18' Caravel
avondale estates , Georgia
Rivet Removal Gasket Locating

My first question here, I have rot around the front of my 69 Caravel and I was going to take the front interior panels out near the floor. (I have already removed the couch, waterpump and watertank) what is the correct size drill to use to drill out the rivets so you do not over size the holes? Where do you get the rivets to replace the ones taken out? Where can I get a gasket for the light that is right outside the door? How about a gasket for the hitch wire plug on the front of the trailer, antenna also. You can see cracks in these so I think some of the water is coming in here. Also is there a spell check function on here? My blushing bride is is tired of spellchecking for me I will see if I can figure out how to post pictures of the rot.
Kevin
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo
..what is the correct size drill to use to drill out the rivets so you do not over size the holes? Where do you get the rivets to replace the ones taken out? Where can I get a gasket ...Also is there a spell check function on here? My blushing bride is is tired of spellchecking for me ... Kevin
Drill size is #30 if you're a purist, 1/8" otherwise.

You can get the rivets at Home Depot. If you want them with a white top rather than aluminum color, order from Vintage Trailer Supply. I'm sure there are other sources.

You're going to have to make your own gaskets. If you can't find thin rubber material, use butyl tape, available a most RV parts places. It's like plumber's putty, but waaaaay better.

Yes, there is a spell function, a checkmark with ABC over it up in the upper right corner of the gray window where you compose your posts.

Zep
Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Rivets

We do have all those

Fasteners : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
And an air drill works better for drilling rivets than an electric drill. I'm not too far from you if you need a little help. Leave a message if you want to talk.

JackMac
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote