Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
2018 19' Tommy Bahama
South Louisiana , Louisiana
Rivet gun recommendation

Can someone recommend a rivet gun? Pneumatic or manual?

I plan to remove the outer shell and interior walls on a 22' argosy.
nextstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
The guys at Fastenal recommended the Marson HP-2. It is the manual type. I have one and it is very good. The Stanley model I had before wouldn't grip the stems firmly enough to snap them in the SS rivets

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I can not recommend a specific brand as mine is marginal. I will say, do not skimp. Stay away from Harbor Freight for a rivet gun. Buy a quality model from the start.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Marson is a great brand that is worth the money when compared to the stamped steel versions.

I have a manual Marson and a cheap pneumatic that has worked well.

I use the Marson a lot more than the air powered unit.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Burlington , Kentucky
We recently completed our reno (full shell off, total gutting, interior skins removed) this year. its a LOT of rivets....I cant imagine doing it by hand. I had the compressor... and yes bought the more expensive gun from Harbor Freight. took the replacement insurance. went thru one gun... got it replaced... and am still using it. I looked at the cost and figured that 49 bucks would do. Can always spend the extra money on another tool needed down the road (buck rivet gun). It all came down to cost... cause your time is free!!! (not really... but ya know what Im talking about). Wont lie....the HF gun constantly needed to be adjusted and prolly 1 in 100 rivets failed to pull tight. Biggest draw back was the cut stems cloging up the discharge hole.
Debnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If you are removing the shell and the interior walls, you will need both a riveter for blind (pop) rivets and one for bucked (solid) rivets. You will want both a manual and a pneumatic riveter for the blind rivets, and a pneumatic riveter for the bucked rivets.

I bought the buck riveting "kit" from Vintage Trailer Supply, and it has performed just fine, no troubles at all. My manual blind rivet tool is just one of many hardware store variety, and works fine. I bought the $39 pneumatic pop rivet tool from Harbor Freight, and and no complaints until I was approaching the end of my work, and it quit. A piston seal that they don't provide a spare for had failed. So I bought another one, and that one is working fine. I used all aluminum pop rivets (aluminum shafts and heads), so these didn't require any particularly hefty tool.

I'm usually not one to recommend cheap disposable tools (the HF ones), but I figure I want them to last through exactly one trailer restoration, and then fail utterly--I don't want to be tempted to do another one!

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Marson is a great brand that is worth the money when compared to the stamped steel versions.

I have a manual Marson and a cheap pneumatic that has worked well.

I use the Marson a lot more than the air powered unit.

Marson costs a little more but is far superior to other brands.

It's been top notch for us for many years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A Marson riveter will generally last til someone steals it....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:51 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Hereford , Arizona
Have to agree the Marson is the way to go. I just reattached my awning after wind popped all but 2 of the old rivets.
BScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I have a manual rivet gut, the head swivels. No power rivet gun for me thanks, less feel with power tools generally.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
I have a manual rivet gut, the head swivels. No power rivet gun for me thanks, less feel with power tools generally.

Not unless your doing several dozen pop rivets or doing any 3/16 stainless steel pop rivets they make your hand hurt too much ,I bought a harbor freight air power gun more than 10 years ago and it has never missed a rivet yet (several hundred if not a thousand rivets )
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I have installed hundreds of rivets with the pneumatic rivet gun from Harbor Freight. Never had a problem. The thing works great. You can pay more, but why? If you get a bad one, take it back they will replace it. I have done a lot of work on airplanes and bucked and installed thousands of rivets. For bucked rivets, go with quality tools, but for pulling pop rivets my vote if for Harbor freight.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shineybullet View Post

Not unless your doing several dozen pop rivets or doing any 3/16 stainless steel pop rivets they make your hand hurt too much ,I bought a harbor freight air power gun more than 10 years ago and it has never missed a rivet yet (several hundred if not a thousand rivets )

Only aluminum rivets for our AS thank you. Stainless steel may not break as easily, but instead of shearing off to let you know there is a potential problem, they'll just make the hole bigger, hide the problem and make things more difficult to repair later. I replaced a window manually (except the rivet removal part), pop and shave, my hands never tired. In my retirement I prefer hand tools even more as a form of "exercise".
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 12:09 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Middletown , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextstop View Post
Can someone recommend a rivet gun? Pneumatic or manual?

I plan to remove the outer shell and interior walls on a 22' argosy.
Hi,

I need to replace the sash and glass on 2 windows for my 69 Overlander. I see the rivets need to be removed and the locking flange relocated nd the riveted again. I've just ordered the Marson 39000 HP-2 Hand Rivet Tool based on this forum, and several sizes of rivets. Can anyone tell me if Im missing somehting, and/ or suggetions for my project? I assume I need to drill out the existing rivets? Yes, this is all new to me, but Im decent with tools and projects. Thank you!
Big Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 03:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Does anyone use the Milwaukee M12 Rivet Gun? I saw a video with Phil from Noloxsolution using one on interior rivets and it looked pretty slick.
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Canyon View Post
Hi,

I need to replace the sash and glass on 2 windows for my 69 Overlander. I see the rivets need to be removed and the locking flange relocated nd the riveted again. I've just ordered the Marson 39000 HP-2 Hand Rivet Tool based on this forum, and several sizes of rivets. Can anyone tell me if Im missing somehting, and/ or suggetions for my project? I assume I need to drill out the existing rivets? Yes, this is all new to me, but Im decent with tools and projects. Thank you!
Yep, drill them out. One trick is to buy some of the stubby drill bits that are only an inch or so long so that you can be sure not to drill right through the wall, or to even leave a ding when the bit pips through the interior skin. I got mine at Grainger.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote