Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
RF noise from PD9280 Converter

Hi.... thinking about changing out the old univolt to the new PD 9280 intell converter from progressive which says that The PD9280A, 80 amp power converter is designed to provide reliable filtered DC power to all recreational vehicle 12-volt lighting and appliance circuits.

I am also using ham radio in the trailer and was conserned about the effects of the converter interfear'n with the radio reception and the effects that the higher power from the radios higher transmit power on the converter...

So I have heard good and bad about these converters...

I sent a email off to the progressive inquiring about my conserns.. and got this back from David

It is a switching power supply. The PD9200 series because of the grounded metal case does not usually interfere with Ham radio.

It is not FCC listed.

David
Service Department
Progressive Dynamics

Well... that works for me... NOT!!!... before I go out and buy one I would like to know if the supply is clean... Most of the switching power supply that we have seen used for radio.. almost always have some "birdies" (frequencies that have radio noise coming out of them unless filtered REAL WELL)

So has anyone else who has one of these converters experanced any interferance with radio reception.

If one takes their portable all band radio out and turn it on... dial up and down the bands..... listen for a stationary tone that is traceable back to the converter as you turn it on and off... would like to know if this converter does in fact interfear on the radio band.

Second question I have is... how dependable is the 9200 series converters.. and what repairs have had to be made to them through the years.

With a cooling fan.. one does have to do maintenance on it to keep it clean and replacement due to mechanics.

Thanks
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Why do you want an 80 amp converter? How many batteries will you have?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:19 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
I have two big ones... but the AS came with a 65 Amp converter.. and was told that the 80 was better than the 60... so that is why were looking at that one... besides if we run the ham radio.. it has to provide up to a max 35 amps for them to work... along with the rest of the trailer systems
Old 05-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
RF noise from PD9280 Converter

I run a 100 watt transmitter (FT-950) at home on a gel cell battery and a small battery charger. Works ‘just fine’.

Remember that the heavy draw is only while you are talking. The battery will hold that up for the duty cycle your radio can handle without overheating.

My mobile rig is a Yaesu FT 957. When I use the Airstream, it’s with 2 6volt GC-2 batteries and a stock convertor. Works FB as well.

Rich, KE4GNK
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:13 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
hello GM, i have used a pd 9260 for about 2 yeard; i have not noticed any qrm on any of my bands. radios are-ft897-alinco235[220]-motorola900.the only thing i do to the power supply is to keep it dust-free. kurt
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:46 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
thanks for the reply's... ya I was told that the 60 or 70 amp 9200 series is what I want because it has the 4 levels. The 80 is just overkill... especally if I change the lights in the airstream to LED's. One suggested that I do a current demand load and see just how much current I have possable... So that is what I am working on right now so that I can compair what is to what will be kinda thing

I also was told not to run the converter without the balast of the battery's. They claim that the converter will try and track the current draw.. and will vary the voltage depending on how the bats take it. So something else to look into...as I was thinking that I could get away with using the new converter and not have to have a supply just for the ham radio.

Most of my experiance with switching supplies has not been good... with ham radio... as most are extreamly noisy with either birdies or hash showing up while trying to recieve a signal on certain frequencies...

One other local ham that RV's on the local repeater said that you just pays your money and takes your chances... as indeed I am going with the GC2 6 volt trojans for the trailer... due to its size and if we go camping when its cold the heater motor is going to almost suck them dry run'n over 50% of the time for heat. Add to that lights and the other big user the water pump... and the little group 24's that Airstream orginally put in won't last too long.

I again asked the manufactures engineer if this issue has come up before... but they are not getting back to us.

Again another camping ham told me.. wait till you turn on the factory installed vent fan motors... talk about hash and noise... he went on to say that padding the motor became a undertaking to try and quiet them down.. let alone the heater blower motor. He had several sugestions as to what it took to try and quiet his electrical system in his RV. He finally suggested that I follow his lead and put a astron or other Power supply in for the ham radio to use only and try to stay away from the trailers on board 12 volt electrical system.

thank all of you that have traveled this road before...for your advise and findings
Old 05-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
I made up a little program last night to check out the power usage in our excella 31 trailer... you can use it to figure out yours too... but, it requires some manual input and formulas as we did not fill it in.. but... easy to follow... and figure out how much power your trailer is using... for max (everything on...) and what you can power down to to save the batteries... Enjoy

Yep the excella with all the lights on and everything working as worst case... its pulling about 80 amps from the bats... yikes...
Attached Files
File Type: xls 1985 Airstream Power Consumption (Max).xls (47.0 KB, 21 views)