Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Return to the Mothership

Would like to hear from those that have been there/done this; we need to re-clearcoat and a few other odds/ends.

* If you had to do it again; would you return to the factory or go with one of the "after-market" restorers?

* I can think of a few advantages of going back to the factory...any advantage going after market?

*Bottom line; would you go with factory refurb again?

*If you went after-market, would you go this route again?

* Other advice for either route?

* Cost comparisons?

* In either case, did you have to have your AS visualy/physicaly inspected prior to obtaining a quote? Or could some estimate be arrived at via email/pics/phone?

* How accurate was the estimate?

Thanx, Bill
Old 01-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Return to the Mothership

When I had my Overlander refurbished in 2003, I went with two well-known independent contractors for the vast majority of the work. The exterior restoration was handled by P & S Trailer Service in Helena, Ohio; and I am as pleased with the result today as when the project was just completed. For the interior refurbishment, I went with Fowler RV Interiors in Symsonia, Kentucky; and am just as pleased with the results today as when the project was completed. I was so pleased with the results on the interior of the Overlander that I had the Fowlers refurbish the interior of my Minuet in 2004.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
You'd think they're full service, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Would like to hear from those that have been there/done this; we need to re-clearcoat ...
Does the factory offer re-clearcoating? I thought they left polishing & clearcoating up to others.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
Texas Seniors

1975 31' Sovereign
Bryan , Texas
We are thinking of redoing out clear coat also, live near Houston, Tx. Sure would like to hear if anyone around us has had an experience with this. Currently we are removing the clearcoat on our 75 model and will be wanting to redo soon.
Texas Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Plasticoat?

Greetings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Jan View Post
We are thinking of redoing out clear coat also, live near Houston, Tx. Sure would like to hear if anyone around us has had an experience with this. Currently we are removing the clearcoat on our 75 model and will be wanting to redo soon.
Technically, the coating on our Airstreams is referred to as Plasticoat. Plasticoat first appeared in the late 1950s and had become an option in the 1960s -- and a standard feature by the mid/late-1960s. Over the years, it has had a number of different formulations, but it is far removed from the typical automotive clear coats as it has plasticizers that allow for the expansion and contraction of the aluminum. There are only a few shops capable of handling the specialized application of the true Plasticoat. P & S Trailer Service in Helena, Ohio is among the oldest of these firms; and was the firm that I chose when it came time to polish and plasticoat my Overlander. I have been totally satisfied with the results, and the finish is still quite nice today after more than 7 years of use.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Does the factory offer re-clearcoating? I thought they left polishing & clearcoating up to others.

Tom
Can anyone confirm that?
I would have thought that would be one of their primary services?

Bill
Old 01-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
P & s

From the experiences of others and listening around the ol' campfire, most folks that have had work done at P & S think their work is superior. We need to have our Excella done, and we will go and see them for a quote. Don't think that the Mothership is set up to do the plastic coat in the prime way that we have heard that P & S is. They specialize. It seems to be the place to have it done right.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post

Tom
The factory put a new clearcoat on our '99 in '01 under warrantee because of peeling. It took two weeks to complete. At the time they said the new clearcoat would probably start peeling withing a year which it did. They said they were under EPA constraints in the materials they could use, which caused the peeling. They thought I would get a better long lasting clearcoat from an aftermarket company not so constrained. But, of course, I would have had to pay for it. This was 9 years ago and perhaps new technology has changed things. Since then I've talked with at least one person who paid some $3,000 for an aftermarket clearcoat.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Whether it be the factory or aftermarket - they all must comply with EPA constraints.
Ever get an estimate to have an old car painted? Not an elcheapo Maaco enamel paint job with no prep, a real paint job that will last. Big money to have this done.
Apparently P & S has a large following so it would be worthwhile to give them a call.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Will P&S fix dings, reseal joints, etc or are they strictly "clear coat"? Tough to tell from their website...what are their capabilities?

Tx, Bill
Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
They are a full restoration shop - we stopped there this year to look at a few Caravels they had in stock. They seemed very straight-forward and honest, but I haven't had occasion to use their services.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #12
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Will P&S fix dings, reseal joints, etc or are they strictly "clear coat"? Tough to tell from their website...what are their capabilities?

Tx, Bill
I guess what I am getting at is; one stop shopping...can P & S provide this?

Tx, Bill
Old 01-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Not to be a smartass, but perhaps you could call & ask?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
P&S is doing work on the Overlander. We're waiting for "the reveal" when we pick it up this month. Steve Ruth has been a pleasure to work with and I don't think there's anything on an Airstream restoration their shop couldn't handle. And if there was something they didn't feel comfortable with, I think they'd be honest enough to tell you.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Steve and his son are great guys and will do you a good job for a fair price. They stripped and recoated our 34' from the beltline up, they said the bottom didn't need to be bothered.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Can anyone confirm that?
I would have thought that would be one of their primary services?

Bill
Bill,

Airstream farms out their Plasticoat work to P&S. I have confirmed this, after talking with Jim a long time ago, in the Airstream Service Dept.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
_

. , .
Quote:
...I would have thought that would be one of their primary services?...
once upon a time it was.

now it is NOT.

and they regularly refer folks to helena for REcoating.

i agree with tom CONTACT the shop in question and ask what they can or cannot do...

j/c or helena or whichever shop u are considering.

"one stop/full service/do it all" means different things to different people.

u might consider LISTING the changes, upgrades, repairs and so on...

because the o.p. and follow up is pretty vague, except for recoating and 'dings'...

then folks who have had ANY of those things done (on your list) could comment on the outcome.

REcoating, done well involves a LOT of prep and goes way beyond stripping/spraying...

gaskets, seals, trim, external plastic bits, acryl-r, sealants, polishing bumpers, wheel well trim...

A frame, tank covers, skylights, glass, rock guards, under belly, awning removal/repairs...

and POLISHING...

are just some of the things that may or may NOT be included with spraying ON plasti-kote.

and will significantly impact the PRICE and final APPEARANCE.

like a home remodel, addition, or many other 'contractor services'...

there are a LOT of unhappy customers in the RV repair world, along with the satisfied folks.

and the most common theme with the UNhappy folks is not communicating CLEARLY IN ADVANCE about the project...

and getting it ALL in writing.

-what is to be done...
-what brand/make parts are to be used...
-how long it will take; reasonably firm start/stop dates...
-cleanup, storage, delivery, pick up...
-un expected issues and HOW they will be addressed.
-CHANGES initiated BY THE CUSTOMER once work begins and price is set...
-documentation of the changes/upgrades/work,
-on going PRICE changes...
-what happens IF the customer isn't happy with the outcome.
-WHO inspects the work
-how/IF there will be updates/ongoing communication WITH THE CUSTOMER during the repairs...
-labor rates, parts and shipping fees...
-shop fees/disposal fees/subcontractor fees...
-trailer security WHILE on shop property...
-how follow up is handles (for example SHAKE DOWN adjustments)
-the WARRANTY (labor vs parts)
-the use of a 'mechanics liens' by the shop and regional laws related to this...

-and so on....

there are really a LOT of issues beyond the estimate and final cost, even though these 2 items are often the main focus.

and keep in mind if its NOT in writing, don't count on it happening...

and if you don't understand HOW disputes are handled, that places YOU at a big disadvantage...

i have had a LOT of warranty work and some after market tweaks/work done in j/c.

they do pretty careful inspections, write reasonably detailed estimates and have a policy IF the cost exceeds the estimates...

they do a good job of communications and LISTENING to the customer before the works begins,

and are REALLY good with time management during a project.

j/c can do almost ANYthing structural, but for cosmetic upgrades or custom finishes there are MUCH better options.

i have also paid for a total makeover that exceeded the purchase price of the unit when NEW

as i originally purchased and this work was NOT done in j/c.

custom shops are great at custom makeovers or upgrades, some are CLEARLY better than others.

many shops work in price ranges,

in other words there are shops that are KNOWN for pricey over the top fabrications,

vs just doing high quality cleanups/and basic repairs...

and some shops do NOT do structural repairs or may for example ONLY do interior and appliance upgrades.

your budget, needs and expectations matter when choosing WHO will do WHAT.

so DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

there are a LOT of examples here of...
"i dropped it off for work we talked about on the phone, they aren't done yet and i don't know how long it will be and it's not clear NOW what exactly they are doing to MY trailer"...

don't be THAT person.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #18
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Thanks to those who responded to the original questions. I was hoping to get unbiased overviews of different experiences without getting into a lot of details at this early stage...which, of course, would be done with a vendor when the decision is made.

There are many vendors out there doing resto's...I would like to narrow the field prior to any first person contact. There is nothing like hearing from satisfied, or disatisfied customers first...the beauty of the www!

Tx, Bill