Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2004, 08:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Retracting cord and hose reels?

I would like to find cord and hose reels for my city water and electrical line that I could mount underneath the floor in the 5" space that is available down there. What I have in mind are the types of reels that are spring loaded and will retract somewhat like a window blind does when you pull and release. Has anyone found a source for these and/or installed them? Any other thoughts on easy cord and hose storage?

Thanks,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:07 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Interesting idea. Reminds me of the retractable hoses for air etc. found at gas stations.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:08 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Here is the power cord reel

Here is a source for a water hose reel
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Thes units are close...

Brett,

Thanks for the pointers to the web-sites. I found that the one with the electric cord reel also had some hose reels as well. From what I can tell so-far though they are too wide fit on their side entirely in the 5" space under the floor where I had hoped to put them. I may just have to re-think where to install. It is also interesting to note that the electric cord one seems to be a lot more expensive than the hose reels. I suppose this is mostly the cost of the wire compare to the hose. Still a bit spendy especially since I already have a power cord.

Malcolm
Old 08-16-2004, 07:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
One available without a power cord...

I see that there is a power cord reel version available that does not come with the cord. Maybe that would work for me. Still is is 10" wide.

Malcolm
Old 08-16-2004, 07:25 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
malcolm

just make sure you get one that can handle 30 amps.

also, they must be in perfect working order or they will give you fits with "dead" spots.

a buddy of mine finally removed his from a 70s excella for the above reason. no more yanking on the cord to get the lights to come on!

john
Old 08-16-2004, 07:27 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Actually I think the major cost difference is due to the way that the water vs. the power have to be handled by the hub. The water is no biggie, but the power needs to have contacts that can slide and carry 30 amps of power. I a car steering column they carry 3 amps DC max. Not inexpensive to make, I am sure.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 08-16-2004, 09:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Some alternate sources I found...

I did a little web surfing and found a couple of interesting products. The following site seems to market through Camping World but the CW site only seems to carry the power cord reels and not the water reels. The pricing for the power cord reels looks pretty good though. CW sells the 30 Amp motorized power cord reel for $359.10. The manually cranked one sells for $228.99. The power one still would not fit entirely under the floor but it still might be a great choice if I can find a place that I would like to put it. The manual one is a better dimension for under the floor (still too big) but getting to the crank would be a problem. I am guessing that the hose reels would be somewhat less expensive than the power cord reels but I do not yet see where they are sold. At any rate check out the following web site:

http://www.tdiproducts.com/products/index.htm

There is another interesting product at the following web site:

http://www.glendinningprods.com/rv_products.html

This is a power cord reel that just runs the cord through it. This would eliminate the problem that was mentioned about bad connections in the rotator. I did not see any prices on the web site though.

For water hoses I did notice several flat hoses that roll up into a very small package. Maybe one of these would be a good way to go for the hose. It seems like you would have to unroll the entire hose before you could use it though.

I am still looking for the ideal solution.

Malcolm
Old 08-16-2004, 09:25 PM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
For water hoses I did notice several flat hoses that roll up into a very small package. Maybe one of these would be a good way to go for the hose. It seems like you would have to unroll the entire hose before you could use it though.
I have a 50 footer and you do have to unroll it all, but it is easy to store so it is not that big of a deal. It stores in a small amount of space.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49