Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #1

1966 26' Overlander
DeLand , Florida
restoration work in Austin Tx.

I could use some advice on where to take my newly purchased 1966 Overlander to get some work done. Plumbing, electrical, etc--- I'm not handy with doing this kind of work myself-- so who do you suggest--
td9733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
There's a couple out in Bastrop who sell used and refurbished Airstreams and they probably could point you to someone. I don't remember their contact information but they frequently post ads on Craigslist Austin.

I just checked Craigslist and found this ad of theirs:
stock of 16 airstreams for sale
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Texas Vintage Trailer

Contact Eric at Texas Vintage Trailer.. just south of Austin.

Vintage Trailer

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
AnEyeForTexas

1962 26' Overlander
Lockhart , Texas
I just drove over to Eric's place (it's in New Braunfels). Closed, space for rent. Sigh ...
gnored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
That's too bad.

I've never used them myself, and I've heard both bad and good reviews of Camper Clinic in Buda. I believe they should be able to handle general RV stuff like plumbing and electrical, though I don't believe they're the kind of shop that does full vintage restorations as Eric did (though I could be wrong about that).

Edit: Just noticed how old the original post was. Anyway, sorry to hear Eric is shut down. I never met him, but Rob always spoke well of him, and I wanted to get out and see his operation at some point.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We're having the Texas Vintage Rally next week in Elmendorf (South part of San Antonio) just off I37 at Braunig Lake RV. We're already sold out of sites to park your trailer as there will be 100 trailers on site and that is all of the sites they will give us. 45 of the trailers attending will be Vintage.

We'll have numerous Restoration Forums throughout the rally concerning such topics as frame repair, installing gray and black tanks, wiring, plumbing, axle replacement, riveting and polishing techniques. We'll have a demonstration trailer on site to show you visually what the instructors are talking about. It might be possible for you to get a room next door at the motel that is owned by the RV Park and still be able to attend the seminars. Contact Elaine Jackson, the rally's registrar, at elaine@gaj.com to see if that is still possible for you to attend just the seminars.

If not, you can still come over on Saturday free of charge to attend the Swap Meet from 9-11 and the Open House for the Vintage trailers from 1-3. The nephew of the inventor of Airstreams will be there holding a free seminar concerning the history of Airstream during the 50's and 60's, especially all of the caravans that the 60's trailers such as yours went on to Europe, Mexico, Africa, Canada and such. He's coming all the way from Dewey, Arizona to give this seminar. You can drive over for the day, take in all of this information, join some of us for lunch at a local restraunt, visit with other Vintage owners and perhaps even find someone who would work on your trailer locally. I don't know whether they'd consider taking on outside work or not, but one of the seminar presenters who will be there has personally rennovated five trailers while another has restored six. They both have the skills to do what you are needing done. One lives out in Wimberly; the other near College Station.

Finally, there are a number of Airstream repair facilities around Texas capable of performing the repairs you are wanting done. The three I have used and swear by are all located some distance from you, but here are their names: Billy Sims RV in Lubbock (numerous long-time technicians with intimate knowledge to do the job right - the first time), Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford (their technician, Denver, is a perfectionist and also has the experience to do whatever you need done. His work will always be done correctly.) and then there is North Dallas RV at the intersection of George Bush Tollway and IH-35 in Carrolton. I just had my trailer there this past week to have my axles aligned. To my knowledge, they are the only facility in Texas capable of realigning Airstream axles. While there, I had them replace some cabinet catches, door slides, curtain rails and other parts that I thought were obsolete and were not available anywhere, but they had them in stock at 1980's prices. I found them to be great to work with and very knowledgeable in all aspects of repair.

There are repair facilities everywhere, but only a few that really know what they are doing and who treat you right. Two weeks of schooling at the Airstream factory does not prepare a technician to work on my trailer. I am not suggesting that these three are the only ones in Texas, but they are the best of any that I have found over the past ten years of Airstreaming and trying to maintain my trailer in as pristine a condition as possible. I've been to numerous dealers and repair facilities and have been often disappointed either because they didn't know what they were doing or because I felt they were price gouging and/or exhibited what I considered to be illegal business numbers practices. You won't find any of this at the three businesses I listed above.

I'll send you a private message with my phone number and email address in case you would like more information.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
AnEyeForTexas

1962 26' Overlander
Lockhart , Texas
Hold the presses! After I wrote my last post Eric of TexasVintageAirstream sent me an email. He's alive and well, and fixing Airstreams. He told me that he was getting so much drop in traffic he couldn't get anything done, so he's moved, changed nos., etc., but his email still works.

Sadly, he didn't get back to me until after I'd already found Camper Clinic in Buda. They seem to be very knowledgeable re Airstreams (there's a lot of 'em on the lot), so we'll see. They seem like real down home folks.

Gary

PS - GStevens asked for my personal contact information, which I'm happy to provide, but my browser blocks pop-ups. So, I, Gary Nored, hereby declare my email address to be: gvnored at yahoo (you can figure out the correct syntax). Thanks for all the help. I'm really looking forward to living in my AS full time!

Gary
gnored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnored View Post
I just drove over to Eric's place (it's in New Braunfels). Closed, space for rent. Sigh ...
His name is Eric Stoltz (yes, like the actor) and my girlfriend (a '62 Safari owner) stopped by and chatted with him. Super friendly guy. He is in New Braunfels/Gruene area still and he had a bunch of trailers being restored there.
Gonna try an dig up the actual number.....
AngryPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnored View Post
Hold the presses! After I wrote my last post Eric of TexasVintageAirstream sent me an email. He's alive and well, and fixing Airstreams. He told me that he was getting so much drop in traffic he couldn't get anything done, so he's moved, changed nos., etc., but his email still works.

Sadly, he didn't get back to me until after I'd already found Camper Clinic in Buda. They seem to be very knowledgeable re Airstreams (there's a lot of 'em on the lot), so we'll see. They seem like real down home folks.

Gary

PS - GStevens asked for my personal contact information, which I'm happy to provide, but my browser blocks pop-ups. So, I, Gary Nored, hereby declare my email address to be: gvnored at yahoo (you can figure out the correct syntax). Thanks for all the help. I'm really looking forward to living in my AS full time!

Gary
Oops, nevermind. you found it.
AngryPirate is offline   Reply With Quote