Old 10-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Originally Posted by LanSluder View Post
I'm not sure exactly where to post this or what to title it, but my basic question is "Is there a 'master plan' already developed and posted on an overall approach to a total restoration?"
A good start would be starting your own thread and posting pictures of your trailer. All the info you need to restore your Airstream is right here on the forum, read, read and read more.

toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Originally Posted by stormbornSG View Post
As a mostly do it myselfer, this would be challenging. And I'm not sure it needs it. Are there ways around? I was thinking of replacing subfloor and addressing frame issues one section at a time. Also I plan to live in it not camp in it, so it doesn't have o be as road worthy as the next. Right now. It made it the 6 hour drive to my house, I think it will make the 10 hour drive to my final destination, of course I would perform all the pertinent checks before hand. But I'm trying to avoid additional expenses related to being hauled far and often at this point... Is that naive?
My list above was for the typical rennovation job that starts out as an "I want to put as little time and money into this project as I can" and quickly evolves into an "as long as I am here, I might as well..." So it all boils down to what you are trying to accomplish, how nice you want it to be, and how much you can tollerate. For example, I found that a 40+ year old trailer with even a slight mouse infestation will stink. Even after replacing the floor, pressure washing the insides of the shell, and replacing all the interior skins, I still get a smell from the old stanky plastic end-caps, which I only painted on the inside.

There is a huge spectrum of what the trailer may need, and what you are willing to do. It is just my opinion that if you know that over time you will end up replacing most or all of the floor, the hard way is to do it a bit at a time, the easier is to bite the bullet and get it all done at once. Vintage trailers are like onions--the more layers you peel away, the more you want to cry.

good luck!

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
When I started my trailer re-do, Belegedhel and others gave me similar good advice. I now have a beautiful, dry, updated, safe and comfy Overlander, just like I want it.

A few comments:

These trailers almost universally have rear-end damage due to the bumper area design that channels water into the subfloor. The only way to know the extent, and to assess the status of the rest of your frame/floor, is to remove the belly pan. To me, this is essential to mapping out any sort of plan.

75% of my frame/floor was in perfect shape, but with the rear-end repairs plus replacing belly pan plus adding a grey water system, I would have been better off lifting the shell. I did all the work myself, outside, on my back, and the shell-off method would have saved me much time and effort. It did, however, all work out fine.

The full Monty threads http:// are a must to review for any newbie.

We all appreciate the process re-doers go through, and there are many experienced folks much wiser than I (Toastie and Belegedhel, e.g.) who can help with almost any bump in the road, so I second the start-a-thread suggestion.

Have fun,

TennTex is online now   Reply With Quote