Old 05-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1989 29' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
Restoration location

So, let's say I drink the coolaide and take on the challenge of restoration. My neighborhood is out of the question. We have these lovely little covenants that prevent stuff like restoring old Cars or Campers, couches on the porch, Pink houses etc.
Even if i got a brand new AS or Camper I'd have to store it somewhere.
I'm not thinking those places will allow heavy work like a restoration to occur either.
I have to believe that there are others here who have a similar situation to mine.
So, how did those of you who are in a situation like mine solve the issue?
Did you rent some covered space?
I could see that as being really pricy which of course adds to the cost.
thanks for the advice.

davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
With the turn in the economy, there are many many warehouse-type buildings that used to house plumbing, carpentry, shipping, etc businesses that are now vacant. You might be able to find a deal on renting a space that you could possibly park the airstream "in" while you are working on it. then store it somewhere else after you have completed your repairs/renovations. An indoor area to work with some room for laydown would be an advantage to getting your work done efficiently.

1982 34' Limited
2000 Excursion V10 4x4
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
money money money / time time time

Ditto above post. I know a lot of people in commercial real estate and there are lots of big BIG storage/industrial places sitting 3/4 empty. My favorite has almost 100 empty 50 ft garages with 14' high and 12' wide garage doors. They rent them for $25 "for the duration of the storm" every time we have hurricane or Noreaster come in. Normally these would probably be $600 per month, but if I wanted one on a month to month I could almost certainly get it down to $150 + electric as long as I agreed to vacate quickly if they got a regular tenant willing to pay full price. This particular one has a welding service, an auto body repair shop, an air conditioning and refrigeration business, and a shop that makes custom wood trim all within their complex. Talk about a good location!

It all comes down to money doesn't it? Most of us have to work and it seems that working on an Airstream is a second full time job. And right now, what bank would lend you $30-50K to take it to one of the well regarded restorers? (If you've saved $100K for your kid's college education and he/she's getting C's and D's - send her to welding school or him to beauty school for $5K and blow the rest on the Airstream!)

If you look at P & S or any of the commercial shops that do rehabs or restores, the key thing is planning and getting the right stuff done in the right order. Also on a do it yourself you'd have to decide which purchases you could put off - and which would be essential to having an "aluminum tent" that you could store outside.

Let us know Which FLAVOR of koolaid you choose!

Best wishes, Paula
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1989 29' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
Great suggestions.
So, I'm guessing you have to do some driving around to find a place then look for the contact information?
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
The other things to think about are: How close is the location to your house? The closer the better. Also, if you have tools in your garage that you need in a restoration you could be stuck lugging tools back and forth. I was planning on restoring my trailer at my farm, but I quickly realized I would never work on it there since it was (even just) a 10 min drive one way. I've worked on it a ton now since it's been staring at me from my driveway. Having it tucked away off in a warehouse could prolong the process, just something to think about...
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote