Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Replace brakes & axles?

My '74 Argosy 22' is scheduled for a service and systems check next week and I want a heads up. Can't find any records from the PO for the axles, brakes or tires. (The trailer doesn't bounce.) I've included pics.

(1) Do I need to replace the brake system? (I've never tried it & yes I'm buying a controller.)

(2) Should the tires be replaced before my trip (TX-CO) next month?

(3) Should the entire axles be replaced or just the springs greased?

Thanks!
TrvlnRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	265035
Attachment 265034

Don't why they keep loading upside down 😤
Old 06-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
If those are the original axles id replace them. One check you can do is to jack the trailer up and see how much they drop. Should be around 22 degrees.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello and welcome to the vintage Airstream hobby. It sounds like you are getting ready to head to Colorado. We really like it here.

You are wise to have your Argosy checked out before you leave. Here are the things that are important for towing your trailer.

Trailer tires ought to be replaced every 5 to 7 years. They weather crack with age. The date of manufacture is molded into the tires somewhere. Have the service tech advise the date on the tires, and his (her) view of the condition of the tires. A blowout can cause a lot of damage to the trailer and ruin your trip.

Note: Hot pavement is brutal on tires. Trailer tires are designed for 65 mph max. Good tires are important.

The service tech ought to pack wheel bearings and adjust the brakes for you. They will verify all 4 brakes are working. You will need your brakes working well going down the steep grades here in Colorado.

The service tech will verify all the trailer exterior lights are functioning. You need tail, brake, turn signals, and marker lights working.

The "dura torque" axles under your trailer are maintenance free, no grease. They have a design life of about 30 years. They "wear out" because the rubber rods in them get hard as a rock, so there is little "suspension effect" while towing. But they hardly ever have a catastrophic failure. You don't need to worry about new axles for your trip. You do need to access them and determine if they eventually need replaced.

Then have the service techs check the condition of the battery, the converter, the 115v AC electrical, the propane appliances, and the water plumbing. If all system are go, then go!

Here is a neat old Argosy we met on our last trip. It has been "renovated" and was in quite good shape.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1605 Santa Fe Argosy.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	265038  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
If you do the axles that will give you many years of service, you can extend the lift by taking the weight off of them in storage/off season. Perfect time to start with new tires too.

Mine were from 1986 and they look like yours except the road was down and the trailer was up. Must be tough in the bathroom keeping the black water in the tank.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
Mine were from 1986 and they look like yours except the road was down and the trailer was up. Must be tough in the bathroom keeping the black water in the tank.
I was a circus performer in a past life 😉
Old 06-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlnRN View Post
I was a circus performer in a past life 😉
Well played, sir!

Though the axles do look bad...
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlnRN View Post
My '74 Argosy 22' is scheduled for a service and systems check next week and I want a heads up. Can't find any records from the PO for the axles, brakes or tires. (The trailer doesn't bounce.) I've included pics.

(1) Do I need to replace the brake system? (I've never tried it & yes I'm buying a controller.)

(2) Should the tires be replaced before my trip (TX-CO) next month?

(3) Should the entire axles be replaced or just the springs greased?

Thanks!
If your axles are 42 years old and not dropping when yu jack up or showing up angle when sitting yu will need to replace them. Colin Hyde is the distributor for the original axles and is the easiest to install if you buy from him. If all you need is brake assemblies on each wheel, Dexter assemblies can be bought for about $50 each from any Dexter distributor and are easy to install. If your old axles have 12 inch brakes the new ones with the same load rating will probably be 10 inch. If you want 12 inch you will need to buy a heavier axle which may require slight modification of the attachment plate on the frame. I did that with mine to be able to have 12 inch brakes and it wasn't a major deal but I had a utility trailer repair shop do it for me. Any good mechanic can clean and grease the bearings for you but I recommend putting new grease seals in to ensure grease doesn't get into your brakes and to keep water out. Tires are the most important thing after brakes and you will see a lot of comments in these forums on the subject. I use GoodYear Marathon ST tires on mine and have had good service from them. Happy trailering and welcome to the life style.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
Argosy pretrip

I ordered 12" brake assemblies from etrailer.com. And shocks from outofdoorsmart.com.
Took these to my tire dealer. Had him install these, grease the axels and Check for defects And bought new tires. Made a world of difference.
paddle whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:50 PM   #10
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Old Argosy Axles

Each trailer has to be evaluated in an individual basis. I have a '77 28' Argosy with original axles. Mine are "adequate" with good travel and in towing over 10,000 miles I seldom find items bounced out of place inside and have had no popped rivets etc. I do, however, have new brakes.

Along with how much the axles drop when jacked up, look at wheel compared to the wheel opening when sitting on the ground. If the tire is way up in the wheel well and the top of the wheel (not tire) is up near the top of the wheel well opening they are sagging and probably need replaced.

I did not put "ST" trailer tires on mine. I went with P235-75-15 Michelin's LTX M/S2. A 22' Argosy with 2 axles is lightly loaded and may have smaller wheel wells so I would look at P225 size Michelin's in your wheel size before buying "ST" tires. Take the load capacity minus 10% for trailer loading. I have about 1900# excess capacity with a heaver trailer. "ST" tires have very stiff sidewalls, run at 80psi and really beat the trailer particularly with older axles. They are also rated at 65mph max and have been known to throw tread above that. The Michelin's are 50 psi max, rated at 90+ mph and help cushion the ride. I have several friends who have thrown tread on "ST" tires and it is not pretty. It is also very easy to exceed 65 mph particularly with a trailer this light weight.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Thanks everyone for your input! Had dad take a look at the tires and axles during my towing lesson today. Definitely getting new tires and will see what the tech says about the axles. Safety first!
Old 06-26-2016, 01:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
that era argosy sports henchen axles . bolts rather than studs mount wheels.
pull hubs if round mags need new brakes , are over 40 yrs old ! if hubs have any groove or scoring on shoe or armature face replace . nice to go to studs vrs bolts . axles if tires come off easy when jacked up ok for this trip but have aged out , if you have to fight to get wheels out of wells axles have sagged and need replaced before you go .
I stick with dexter . relieve knotch to front for clearance and use existing front hole ( maintains alignment ) you will also have to relieve rear holes slightly .
don't forget to order new bolts when you order new axles . 4 x 5/8" machine thread with nuts and washers ,for each side. nylocs are avail. shocks are not essential as torsion axles are shock absorbing as part of their function.
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote