Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Replace bath sink in 1966?

I just realized that the nasty sink in my 1966 Ambassador is a separate piece from the sink base. I'm wondering if I can pull the sink top, replace it with a corian or formica countertop and a round stainless sink. I want to keep the same shape.

Has anyone tried this? If so, I would love to see how you did it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	227281  
mommythrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I replaced mine w: stainless Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1416831987.203194.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	899.2 KB
ID:	227282

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I replaced mine w: stainless Attachment 227282

Very nice!
So, how did you remove the old one and how is the new one attached?

And it looks like you moved the toilet forward. What's going on there?
Old 11-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I removed tub Assy. When I did rear floor replacement . I had tub sink refinished while it was out, sink had a crack that was repaired at that time. Long story short, the crack reappeared after reinstallation,total PITA to remove sink after the fact! I used a Fein tool to cut rivets to remove sink from wall. If you have stainless sink made you will have to have at least a 3/4" lip turned upward that curves w/ wall in order to re rivet the sink on. This project was costly( sink fab)& time consuming ! Good luck... Brian

Old 11-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Btw, I cut toilet bench off while tub was out to gain a little more room, this required a complete re routing of plumbing lines that used to run under the bench. I got the idea from another forum member( Stole it!) I still don't like the sink over tub design, but I like the way the toilet area turned out. My favorite is the 67 model

Old 11-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

It sure looks easier to use your sink. I hate bending way over to brush my teeth in my bath, but mine is all in great shape except for that sink top, so I'm going to leave it alone. I haven't looked at the rivets yet. I was planning on Corian counter top, so not sure how to attach it yet. Thanks the the info.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Anderson , Indiana
I'm in the same situation mommy. My sink has a crack in it, and I don't think I can fix it easily. From looking at it, I think you will have to cut the rivets by cutting between the sink and wall. I've got another good sink to put in, but I am not looking forward to the project. I like the idea of a top with round SS bowl...
Kline1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
You can take a putty knife around the wall/ sink perimeter and hammer it down to shear the rivets in half. The sink is held to wall w rivets. You'll also need to pull the drain basket to get it off. Remove plumbing from trunk access.

If sink is not broken try tub and tile refinisher. We have had good luck with the spray-on type from lowes.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags