Old 12-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Boynton Beach , Florida
Replace Airbag suspension 79 28' excella

Has anyone ever done this repair themselves or do you have any suggestion on places to research to get it done, all places I have called here in south Florida wont touch my trailer due to liability on repairs.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It is confusing as to what you are doing. If it is a trailer, there is no air bag suspension.

If it is a 1979 28' motorhome they did have air bag suspension systems, but why would you want to replace it? That would be very costly and very difficult.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Boynton Beach , Florida
yes its a motorhome, they are not lifting the backend as they should be so the back sits superlow.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Chris

You need to come over to the dark side with us Classic motorhome know it alls in the motorhome forum, Classic section.

First of all, have you owned this motorhome for a long time, or are you new to this?

If you are new then there are a number of things to check BEFORE air bag replacement if the suspension is completely down and bags will not inflate.

1) Is your compressor working and are there no leaks in the air lines leading to the air ride leveling valve?

2) If compressor working and no leaks, then check the air ride valve to see that air is being delivered to the bags.

3) If bags partially inflate and you can hear a leak then yes air ride bags need replacement.

A number of people have done the job of replacement and there are a number of tips that the fellows in the Classic section can help you out with.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Boynton Beach , Florida
Thank you Tony.. The compressor does kick on right now it seems while one side rises, the other is not inflating as much. I will heed your advise and start checking the things you suggest. I am new to this, I bought her 5 years ago with the intention to renovate and just now am getting going on it so bear with my ignorance in some of the questions I may have.... being that the airbags are assumedly rubber, My first assumption was maybe they dry rotted.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Chris

Yes the bags can check and rot like a rubber tire if not used often. If one bag is not inflating properly and the other does, it doesn't look good; however I would still try and isolate where the leak is, as it still maybe with the fill fitting on top of the bag, or the line going to it.

I noticed that you have the coach for sale with a gutted interior. Is there a reason you didn't complete the reno?

As someone who has gutted, replaced the subfloor, revinyled the interior and made all new cabinetry I know a thing or two about renovating a Classic motorhome. Is there someway I could help out to convince you to continue with the project?

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Old 12-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Boynton Beach , Florida
Thanks for the reminder, I have to remove the sale post, I am going to go thru with the reno. and your help and support is greatly appreciated. I guess its just going to be take it as it comes process but I will look here for help as it I very helpful as I go thru the process. This coach sat for a long time it only has 55k miles so there will be things know I will have to replace this was one replacement I guess I jumped the gun on.
I was thinking of replacing the gas tank as it has the upgraded 70 gallon, Was thinking of going to 50 gal and to a plastic composite to keep down on weight but you can give me a reason I shouldn't if you have one
I have to do some work to the motor, Its overheating, may be thermostat or pump...I am going look at that this weekend, then going to replace hoses, plug wires, belts etc.
One other big project is the exhaust. I has holes.. not sure its worth patching or getting a whole new one put in, it is pretty rusted.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:57 AM   #8
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I'm glad to hear you're continuing with the reno as you'll be glad you did one day. However there will be many trials and tribulations down the road, but we will try and help you as much as possible.

First thing to do is to introduce yourself in the Classic section. There are many good people there.

The second thing I would do is not replace the gas tank so much as replace the fuel lines to the motor. We have had a number of fires in the past years that have totalled coaches, caused by rotted fuel lines. The lines are compromised by the Enthanol content in gasoline these days and are prone to fail, spilling gas over very hot headers and motor. One of our clan had just finished a renovation, complete with a beautiful polish job and all for nought as his coach caught fire on its maiden voyage.

Cheers
Tony

Old 12-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Boynton Beach , Florida
where do I find the classic section you speak of?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Boynton Beach , Florida
found it, Thanks