Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Repairs after a tree scrape

The last time we were out, I managed to put my 2002 classic 25 up against a tree, starting at the door and ending up at the wheel well. Too many people giving directions was determined to be the cause. The damage included a broken step retainer, rub rails, center awning support, outside receptacle, and wheel well trim. Little by little, I am getting everything fixed by myself. The body is fine- I was told that it pushed in a few inches, but besides a surface scrape, there is no sign of damage to it.

The step retainer was easy. The receptacle not so much. The plastic cover was totalled. The rectangular opening in the sheet metal was damaged from the receptacle being pulled out. I bought a metal cover by Bell, but it wouldn't work as is. I had to make a rectangular backing plate from 1/8 aluminum with a cutout for the receptacle. I drilled and tapped two holes in that for the cover mounting screws. I riveted that to the thin sheet metal to hold it in place. Then, just a matter of screwing down the cover over the receptacle and everything holds together nicely. The distortion of the thin sheet metal is handled, and all looks like new, but is stronger now.

The only problem is if I ever do this again, there will be much more damage!
clamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamb View Post
The last time we were out, I managed to put my 2002 classic 25 up against a tree, starting at the door and ending up at the wheel well. Too many people giving directions was determined to be the cause. The damage included a broken step retainer, rub rails, center awning support, outside receptacle, and wheel well trim. Little by little, I am getting everything fixed by myself. The body is fine- I was told that it pushed in a few inches, but besides a surface scrape, there is no sign of damage to it.

The step retainer was easy. The receptacle not so much. The plastic cover was totalled. The rectangular opening in the sheet metal was damaged from the receptacle being pulled out. I bought a metal cover by Bell, but it wouldn't work as is. I had to make a rectangular backing plate from 1/8 aluminum with a cutout for the receptacle. I drilled and tapped two holes in that for the cover mounting screws. I riveted that to the thin sheet metal to hold it in place. Then, just a matter of screwing down the cover over the receptacle and everything holds together nicely. The distortion of the thin sheet metal is handled, and all looks like new, but is stronger now.

The only problem is if I ever do this again, there will be much more damage!
First thing is NEVER EVER have someone give you VERBAL instructions on how to back up.

Next, go to a shopping center parking lot, that is not busy.

Learn how to back up, yourself, first.

Go past the spot you want to back the trailer into, so that it's on the drivers side. Pick a spot, and learn how to back in, all by yourself. Again, back in to a spot that's on the drivers side only.

When you master that first space, pull out and go down a few more spaces, and do it again. Keep on backing yourself to your left, UNTIL YOU HAVE IT MASTERED.

Now, back to having someone help you.

The following rules APPLY, NO EXCEPTIONS.

When a person is going to help you, you put "duct tape" on their mouth. Just kidding, but you tell them, DON'T OPEN THEIR MOUTH.

Have them give you instructions, solely with their hands. Teach Mama how to do that. If you cannot clearly see the helper giving instructions, STOP IMMEDIATELY. Only move when the instructor is clearly seen.

In that way, there is no way in the devil, you could ever hurt the coach again.

The key is having an instructor learn how to use their hands for guidance.

In that way, you will need far less help, when you back up to you left. When there is no choice but to back up to the right, the same applies, but in reverse.

Take notice of how they do it at an airport with aircraft. No way would verbal work. Hand signals work perfectly, when the driver and instructor, both are clued in as to how.

Try it, you will love it.

Try it at first, with just your tow vehicle, and depend solely on the signals from the instructor. Do that also at a shopping center, where it would be impossible to hurt anything except maybe your feelings. But if that happens, on the way back home, stop at one of those places that serves "cool ones" and have 2 or 3, and discuss how nice and easy it was to learn how to back up a trailer.

Like most things, having a little training experience, is worth "how many words"?????

:flo wers:

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Hope this doesn't qualify as a thread hijack...How do you all handle the well meaning, sincere offers to help you maneuver into a site from fellow campers? This has happened the last three times camping. I really need ideas here. I don't want any help - I have been doing it for a while and I've learned to trust my eyes only. I get out before starting and often multiple times during the process. It may LOOK like I need assistance, but it's under control. My response has been, "I really appreciate your offer, but I prefer to handle this on my own." Said with a friendly tone and big smile, but even as I write it, sounds harsh. Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I use the 'stand right here, and yell if I get too close' method. Then ignore all the hand waving and stuff unless they actually yell. I use helpers as markers for range and obstacles.

They do help, but I am the one driving. And I get out and look a lot.

I've only turned over the keys to an experienced repair depot guy because I knew damn well I wasn't going to get into the spot he needed to put my trailer in. He was nice and let me pull out, because he's not that familiar with a ProPride hitch hook-up procedure. He did spot for me with hand signals because that TV did not have a backup camera.

I figure if I crunch it, it's my fault...I figure that's the way it should be.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I used to use a water bottle and spray the path that the roadside wheel should track over to end in the right place. Doesn't work in the dark. Now I use a piece of white rope.

When people want to help "Thanks but I have delusions of adequacy"

Paula
Old 09-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Mr. Krum's response is (IMHO) the preferred method...look over the spot and keep getting out to re-assess. It doesn't matter how many times you go backnforth, there is pride in getting our ASs into spots where others think "lets go and watch this..this should be good". And with regard to not wanting to hurt folks' feelings, you can keep yelling "thank you", and still do what you think is right. But Krum is correct in stating "I figure if I crunch it, it's my fault...I figure that's the way it should be." Safe travels. jon

u consider best. Its your rig and, as
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote: "I used to use a water bottle and spray the path that the roadside wheel should track over to end in the right place. Doesn't work in the dark. Now I use a piece of white rope"

I said the same thing on another thread. I used to use a yellow poly rope laid on the track I want my driver's side trailer wheels to follow. I've had the same piece of rope in the trailer for 10 years and haven't needed it but it is going to stay there for just the day I do need it again.

Re bystanders...I get more frustrated with people who just stand and stare. Last trip out I could not get the trailer level to within 4 inches so I could block up the wheels to level the trailer. Tried for 15 minutes to find a sweet spot. Finally someone from a far off campsite came to tell me people usually pull in forward on that site along the edge so the trailer door faces the site and unhook and drive through the back side!...DuHH!

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Hope this doesn't qualify as a thread hijack...How do you all handle the well meaning, sincere offers to help you maneuver into a site from fellow campers? This has happened the last three times camping. I really need ideas here. I don't want any help - I have been doing it for a while and I've learned to trust my eyes only. I get out before starting and often multiple times during the process. It may LOOK like I need assistance, but it's under control. My response has been, "I really appreciate your offer, but I prefer to handle this on my own." Said with a friendly tone and big smile, but even as I write it, sounds harsh. Thoughts?
My wife is the only one I trust to give me directions in backing up. My kids help too, but mainly so they can learn - I don't completely count on their directions since they don't have the experience. I've avoided having anyone else involved since coming within a fraction of an inch of hitting a picnic shelter under the direction of a campground manager in BC. He was only looking at one side of the trailer, and it was the wrong side to be watching.

I use the back-up-a-bit-and-look-when-in-doubt method. Growing up on a farm where we frequently had to backup implements I generally don't have any trouble getting a trailer where I want it. It's not being able to see that causes the problem. If you have people insisting on helping I'd suggest saying something like "Thanks for your help, but I need to get out and look anyway because that helps me to learn how to do this when I'm on my own."

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
albuquerque , New Mexico
I hope you realize, that trees only strike TV's and TT's in self defense !!!
splintair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We won't talk about the water pipe I hit with the TV and broke at my neighbor's house whilst parking my trailer there. It was the last little adjustment attempt that got it. Front of TV just a little too much to the right. Fortunately I had it fixed properly very quickly. He still lets me park there....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Well, as I posted to the repair forum, I was hoping to get repair related replies. Normally, I have my wife direct me in backing up via cell phone and my bluetooth radio. I can hear her clearly and have my hands free. She tells me which way the back of the trailer needs to go, and that is the direction I move the bottom of my steering wheel. It works quite well. It's just that this time, for some reason I opted to let others help.

If I am solo, it is a lot of getting in and out of the truck. My truck is quite long with a very large turning radius, due to the 4wd.
clamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Sorry to read of your damage. It sounds like you have the repairs in check.

I've given up trying to teach my wife how to help me back in. All I want her to do now is yell "STOP" if I get too close to something.

Kelvin
Old 09-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
About 3 years ago I bought a hitch camera from Camping World. The camera part has a magnetic base to attach it to the tailgate of my TV and I point it down over the hitch ball. The "receiver" is a small LED screen like a cell phone. I had a small square piece of stainless steel (to which the magnet will stick) riveted onto the aluminum bumper cover of my AS, so I can attach the hitch cam to the back of my AS to use as a back-up camera. Both the camera and screen have rechargeable batteries - the entire set-up is wireless.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamb View Post
Well, as I posted to the repair forum, I was hoping to get repair related replies.

Good job on the repairs. Do you have pics?