Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Melbourne Bch. , Florida
Repair water filter housing?

I have a 31 ft. 1987 Electra. While replacing the water filter in the bathroom, I must have cracked the top housing that the filter canister screws into, causing a severe leak . Repair or replace it?

To replace it will require a very agile person to reach in and remove the present unit and replace with a new system. There are 3 water connections that appear to be galvanized.

All this repair is in extremely close quarters.

I've been able to find a small crack in the top housing.

has anyone ever successfully repaired such a crack on the filter system.

I've been told to apply a 2 part epoxy, to the crack that I think is causing the leak.

I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thank you, Billy
dolphin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I have a 1987 32-foot Excella, and mine does not have any filter in the bathroom. I suspect that this might have been added on by a P.O. If so, it was likely somthing bought at either an RV supply store or a store like Lowes or Home Depot. If you could take some pictures it would be easier to find a solution.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Melbourne Bch. , Florida
Thank you so much for your reply. I will be at the RVPark next weekend. If I can't repair it with expoxy, I thought of bypassing the filter in the bath, and installing a smaller one in the kitchen.

Will still be a challenge due to extremely tight quarters.

This filter was factory installed. It's in the manual. Probably put in place before the cabinetry.

Thank you again. I'll keep you posted. I only get to the RV every other weekend. Billy
Old 04-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I can tell you with some assurance the epoxy will not hold up, long-term. I'm afraid you're going to have to replace it. Maybe you can find a smart 8 year old to access it?
Old 04-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I would not take the chance of a plastic repair failing and soaking my floor. I would bypass it.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Yulee , Florida
If you can get to it or get it out I have found that a very effective repair for many plastics is to apply liquid super glue (cyanoacrylic) and before it dries mix in a finely ground mineral powder. Many types of powder will do, for a instance a scouring powder. I use a course (cheap) unscented talcum powder. Abrade the surface around the leak with a fine sand or carborundum paper first, spread the super glue and then mix in the powder immediately with a wooden tooth pick and leave it to dry for a couple of days before you use it.

It makes a hard permanent repair. I've mended all sorts of plastic products with this method ranging from a plastic CPU hold down bracket in a computer to an odd shaped bucket my wife particularly likes that sprang a leak at a seam.

Having given that advice my personal preference would be to remove the filter and plumb around it. Not only will you be doing away with a potential future problem most water supplies these days for domestic use are pretty clean. Further, the inlet hose bib outside on your Airstream most likely already has a filter screen. If if hasn't you can fit one to it knowing that if you ever need to clean it you may then get to it easily.

Good Luck!

norm
AFUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I agree - don't bother to repair it, but bypass it in the bathroom area. As long as you have some form of filter screen on your street water inlet (we just use a rubber washer with a built-in screen) you will be fine. If you feel the need for some filtration for drinking/cooking water, we had added an ADC under-the-counter unit in the kitchen, with a separate faucet. The ADC filters are good, and are sold both at Camping World and Jackson Center. We bought a nice bar faucet for this at Lowes.
WBCCI 8080
Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Melbourne Bch. , Florida
Thank you all who offered advice. This weekend I'll cut the center piece of wooden cabinet (non supporting) between the vanity doors , allowing me more space to reach in under the sink.

I think the safest thing to do is simply bypass (as suggested) the filter and install some type of simple external filter at trailer water intake.

Will post my success "or not". Thank you all again. This was my first post on the forum.

The experience was rewarding and enjoyable.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Before you cut the wood cabinet consider calling either a plumber or RV tech, as I don't think that the cut would be necessary. Plumbers have some interesting looking tools forgetting at hard-to-reach places. The filter you have may actually be screwed into the base of the faucet, much like a speedway used to connect a faucet to the water pipe.
WBCCI 8080