Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
mt pleasant , South Carolina
Repair shops

Can anyone help me. I am a new Airstream owner(2008 Safari SE). I recently was camping when a pine tree fell and damaged the right rear panel.My insurance company wants to send it to Out of Doors Mart NC for repair. My concern is the type of rivets they will be using. They say they repair it from the outside using Olympic spread rivets and then a Parvon sealer. The Airstream manufacturer said that they use bucket rivets and repair it from the inside out. Can anyone elaborate on this for me? I want the the repair to be as good as new.

[ATTACH]68520[/Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0232.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	68520]
woodssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
If at all possible, take it to the factory for the repair. They will do it right.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodssd View Post
Can anyone help me. I am a new Airstream owner(2008 Safari SE). I recently was camping when a pine tree fell and damaged the right rear panel.My insurance company wants to send it to Out of Doors Mart NC for repair. My concern is the type of rivets they will be using. They say they repair it from the outside using Olympic spread rivets and then a Parvon sealer. The Airstream manufacturer said that they use bucket rivets and repair it from the inside out. Can anyone elaborate on this for me? I want the the repair to be as good as new.

[ATTACH]68520[/Attachment 68520]

To use "buck rivets" you must tear out the inside of the trailer. Putting it back the way it was, has it's risks.

If you use Olympic rivets, they do just as good a job, but you do not have to disturb the interior, at all.

Olympic rivets have been used for over 35 years, and if the work is done correctly, you would have to really know what to look for to tell the difference.

Out of Doors Mart can certainly do a first class proper replacement of that segment.

The sealers used are Vulkem and/or Par-bond.

If your at the dealer when they open, you can take the trailer back home the same day.

Coordination is the key.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
Thanks. Do these sealants break down?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks. Do these sealants break down?
I don't know.

Airstream has been using Vulkem for 38 years and it's still as good today as when it was applied.

It doesn't matter what method of repair is used, since the same sealers are used in both cases.

Andy
Old 09-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Good going, Andy. The "from the inside" method bothered me.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
If it were me I would want it repaired to be exactly like it was originally. And originally there were no olympics used. I would insist it be done using buck rivets. There has been huge debate over the two types of rivets and I always return to "if olympics are so great, why does Airstream not use them to build the trailers?"
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
"if olympics are so great, why does Airstream not use them to build the trailers?"
At the RMVAC rally Mr InsideOut was talking about different rivets and I was very impressed as to the holding power of them. Why are buck rivets used, because they can on an empty shell and $$$$.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
Thanks thats what is worrying me. Any info out there on the rivet debate that I can use to coax my insurance company. They want me to use a repair shop more locally which is Out of Doors Mart and they use the Olympic's. I think I would prefer the original which means the unit would have to go to JC
Old 09-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
So are your saying that the buck rivets are used before anything is built inside. Other repair shops use Olympics cause they are cheaper?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
If it were me I would want it repaired to be exactly like it was originally. And originally there were no olympics used. I would insist it be done using buck rivets. There has been huge debate over the two types of rivets and I always return to "if olympics are so great, why does Airstream not use them to build the trailers?"
Your question as to why, is the easiest answer of all.

Airstream can buy 200 or more "buck" rivets for the same cost as "one" olympic rivet.

Andy
Old 09-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
So are your saying that the buck rivets are used before anything is built inside. Other repair shops use Olympics cause they are cheaper?
No.

Olympics cost far more than buck rivets.

Andy
Old 09-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks thats what is worrying me. Any info out there on the rivet debate that I can use to coax my insurance company. They want me to use a repair shop more locally which is Out of Doors Mart and they use the Olympic's. I think I would prefer the original which means the unit would have to go to JC
Your absolutely correct. You can force your insurance company to have the inside of the trailer dismantled to use buck rivets for the segment replacement.

They will hate you, and depending on who they are, they may cancel your policy when the find out that the total cost to replace that segment using olympic rivets, is about $1200.00.

Triple to quadruple that when you rip out the inside, and use buck rivets.

Next problem, is the inside rear will more than likely show signs of being removed, up to and including the overhead end cap.

But, you will have buck rivets, and a scarred inside.

Instead of a 6 (six) hour job, you will force it to be perhaps 35 to 40 hours.

If you were paying for the repair yourself, out of your pocket, which would you choose?

Airstream sheet metal replacement using olympic rivets has been more than industry acceptable for almost 40 years.

Andy
Old 09-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey WoodSSD,

If you were to have the capability to take the interior out yourself where the damage is, you could have a shop do the panel replacement with buck rivets, and then replace the interior yourself. It isn't that hard to do.

There is a new trailer repair place opening in MD no too far from you I hear.

Steve
Old 09-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Hey WoodSSD,

If you were to have the capability to take the interior out yourself where the damage is, you could have a shop do the panel replacement with buck rivets, and then replace the interior yourself. It isn't that hard to do.

There is a new trailer repair place opening in MD no too far from you I hear.

Steve
New shops, historically have little to no Airstream sheet metal experience.

Best way to find out is to simply ask them "how do you remove the segment."

If they say simply drill out all the rivets, then hook back up and leave, "FAST".

Andy
Old 09-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
All that above is my opinion. It is mine to have as is Andy's opinion of Olympics. You ultimately will be making this discussion for your self. I feel very strongly that one is a mechanical fastener and one is a half step from being a weld. One is all out bathroom removal, and one is in and out in a day. You will have to choose.

Once again, If it were mine, I would insist on buck rivets for any exterior skin replacement. Even if it was coming out of my pocket. and once again that is my personal opinion
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
I do appreciate eveyones opinions here. I have paid insurance all my life and have never had a claim. This is by far my biggest investment ever and I love my Airstream. I just want to make sure that the repair will be as good as new and also look that way without having any future problem. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Distruaght in Carolina!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
... I want the the repair to be as good as new...
hi wood'

IF u want 'like new' take it to j/c and have bucked rivets used.

dealer-service centers generally don't use bucked rivets because the repair takes more effort...

AND many have not learned or have access to the tools for bucked rivet repairs.

i've seen many older trailers with panel replacements using olympic rivets and some shops do FANTASTIC work...

BUT suggesting that removal of the interior is risky or will leave the trailer scarred is SILLY.

the factory service center takes out interiors and puts them BACK routinely, every day.

and the factory service center uses BOTH repair techniques (bucked/olympic) depending on owner budget.

besides on YOUR unit only part of the interior will need to come out, including some interior skin.

MANY folks have elected to have 'as new' bucked rivets used.

bandit' had his unit done this way recently, here is his thread with showntell...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...ter-42332.html

u can pm him for more details and 2 ask IF he'd go this route again.

yes the cost is higher, but virtually no one will be able to tell ANY repair has happened without taking it apart again.

every insurance company and policy is unique, and wether a single claim (however big) will effect the premium is case by case....

i had a 45,000$ claim ONE WEEK into a new policy with a new (2me) insurance company...

my rates actually went DOWN the next renewal,

so don't be bullied by anyone here into using a repair approach that YOU don't want.

IF the link above doesn't answer your questions, there are plenty of other threads on this.

and IF only ONE curved segment is damaged either approach will look pretty good.

lastly IF u wait till december for the repair, the factory service center offers 20% off on labor rates...

and labor charges will be the largest portion of the repair bill.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #19
_

. , .
forgot to include this link wood'...

the folks from outofdoorsmart don't post much here...

instead THEY LET THE RESULTS and their customers speak for them.

however dan has put up some really nice 'how to's' on their website,

RV Tips and Tricks

http://www.odmrv.net/RepairWebLinks.php

and a nifty guide to selecting replacement panels and segments...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...els-43254.html

they obviously take efforts to do quality work,

so u might visit them and look at some repairs before deciding...

cheers
2air

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Go bucked

I had my 58 Sovereign of the Road re-bucked, on three panels. The only right way to do it in my mind... but others will say something to the contrary. The Olympic might cost more, but you save in labor.. the buck is not as $$$ but it takes two to put it in... the $$$ of the rivet is not an indicator of quality or strength.. if it were, in my mind the Buck rivet would be more.. and a quick trained eye can easily tell an Olympic repair job. I say BUCK IT! The debate and debate will go on and on and on. Good luck.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote