Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Repair Services at Colonial

Now that we're out of warranty, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about at Colonial. Long reply follows....

List of stuff I wanted done:

1) Swap my 1000# bars for 1400# bars on my PP and ensure proper hitch setup

2) secure microwave better

3) repair/replace front storage gasket which leaks

4) install those cool new rubber bumper guards

5) repair caulk at door lock

The dealer where we purchased wasn't familiar with the PP and they don't have near the experience Colonial does so I wanted to see if it was worth the drive. I reached out to Patrick who put me in touch with Tony in Service. We talked by phone and through emails for the weeks leading up to the trip.

They told me I could get in the night before and stay on their lot (something my original dealer wouldn't allow even to test it for the first night...). And that included hooking up to shore power which was great since it's pretty muggy here and we really needed the AC with our dog.

To that point, when we got here, Patty in Service met us and got us checked in. She loved Daisy up like she was her own pooch and gave her a treat and told me to bring Daisy in to the office with me to do the paperwork. Thought that was a nice touch.

I sucked at backing in to the exact spot they wanted and James asked if he could do it - 3 seconds later it's done. And he apologized as though I would be offended - I told him I was relieved! There's a few million dollars worth of inventory on the lot...I didn't want that kind of liability...

So we're all plugged in and hanging out in the trailer the day before our appointment. Stepped out to take Daisy for a walk on the shore (nice park 15 minutes away) and realized they already stuck the bumper guards on 😄

Bill is the PP mechanic. He took care of the bars quickly, identified and replaced a failed zerk fitting and then took a bunch of measures apparently to satisfy his own curiosity (I didn't ask him to do that). He said there were lots of things done improperly and he wanted to readjust the entire thing. This is exactly why I brought it here. He's treating it like it's his own trailer and hitch. Of course, it's at this point Brian invites me to wait in the lounge - I feel bad for "hovering" but I was so fascinated with how Bill was doing what he was doing. And no - I do not think I could have installed this myself.

Bill tells me it will take a couple hours but everything is measuring incorrectly and he basically wants to reinstall the hitch.

A couple hours later we get the call to bring the truck over to finish the alignment. It practically looks like a new hitch! Everything was aligned perfectly and there was a slight upward angle on the head that wasn't there before. He explained why that was critical and then took apart my stinger assembly, raised it a notch and inserted 3 washers (none were there from the original dealer's installation).

He then points out everything else done from a service perspective and we're good to go. The cost was VERY reasonable to me.

Then we got it out on the road - I thought I loved it already - this was an entirely different experience! 10 times more solid than it ever was! I can't wait to get it to the scales and finish fine tuning it but wow - it feels perfect!!

I'd give them an A+ no question. Highly recommended if you need services. Very glad we went. Now we're visiting the Airstream-only Jersey Shores Haven park to see what that's like 😄
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Excellant review, thank you. I don't recall ever reading a negative review of this business.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
SteveSueMac,
Have you ever been to Jackson Center for service?
Colonial is probably closer for you.
Jackson Center is closer for us Mississippi boys, and it is the best service experience I have ever had in my life!
I chose my trailer by walking through the trailers on Colonial's lot. No pressure, but very knowledgeable sales staff.
I see why everybody rates them high.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Thank You

SteveSueMac,
Thank you very much for the excellent post/review. I too have heard nothing but good things about Colonial. Our 28' Int'l came from Colonial, and the PO raved about how polite Patrick is, and the very thorough attention to detail that they received from him when they first took her off the lot. I have spoken to Patrick over the horn, just to thank him for posting several of the videos he has on YouTube. They answered my questions for sure. Glad to hear your re-inforcement that that is indeed the case to this day. Even tho the PO's reflections were on the sales side, it's good to hear the service side carries the same weight.
Sounds like you are a happy camper now.
Safe travels back up N.
All the best to you & your family...including the d a W g!
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Repair Services at Colonial

Thanks Chief - I'm sure from time to time things don't pan out well - that's inevitable- but this was an A+ for us!

M.hony - yes - we had some warranty and custom work done at Jackson Center just last year. That too was an awesome experience (great service crew and technicians) but for the difference in distance, I would have absolutely no hesitation having Colonial do any work on my trailer. If I were in the market, they'd be my first choice without question.

(On edit seeing Gavin's reply)

Thanks Gavin - absolutely a happy camper! This was a really great experience! I wish I had the courage to go there when I bought originally! That's a new lesson learned for the next round of newbie questions!
Old 09-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #6
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
We purchased our Classic from Colonial and have had several warranty items repaired and even our street side panel replaced under an insurance claim after a young buck decided side swipe us on a parkway in Kentucky. In fact, they actually ordered a second panel when they noticed the original replacement panel they were about to install was scratched. I've probably spent four nights in their parking lot.

I've got nothing but great things to say about the sales, parts, and service departments. I'll definitely return there as much as I can or as much is practical for future needs.

2023 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3/4.30 FX4 CCLB
2010 Classic Limited 30
ProPride P3-1400
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the review of Colonial. We purchased our first AS from them, fantastic easy experience. In fact I am or was not so much a trusting person, however, much to my wife's surprise we agreed on the purchase of a one year old 25' over the phone, sight unseen. And the unit was exactly as described even down to a one inch crease on the top rear.

We have a good servicing dealer here in Western PA, however, I would not hesitate taking any AS to Colonial nor would I hesitate buying from them. Very nice people, very helpful service department and parts department.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Valley Village , California
Colonial Yes!!

We were in NY last year when we got hit by a teenager on the street. We limped out to Colonial. Wish we thought to stay in the parking lot. Tony and his crew checked everything out and got us road worthy. He also said with certainty, he would fix this at the factory if it was his coach. Advice we took and will never regret. Jackson center is the bomb too!
nbgrossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
A couple hours later we get the call to bring the truck over to finish the alignment. It practically looks like a new hitch! Everything was aligned perfectly and there was a slight upward angle on the head that wasn't there before. He explained why that was critical and then took apart my stinger assembly, raised it a notch and inserted 3 washers (none were there from the original dealer's installation).
Did he adjust the angle of the stinger to create a slight downward angle to match the new upward angle of the hitch head? I'm trying to figure out the context of the adjustment he made. I would like to understand the criticality of this upward angle.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Did he adjust the angle of the stinger to create a slight downward angle to match the new upward angle of the hitch head? I'm trying to figure out the context of the adjustment he made. I would like to understand the criticality of this upward angle.

Greg

Yes, Greg - that's exactly what he did (and it's 2 washers, not 3).

Imagine looking at the connected rig from curbside (trailer on your left, TV on your right). The PP head on the trailer's A-frame now points slightly upward from back to front and the truck's stinger now points in the same direction (which could also be described as tilting slightly downward when scanning your eyes from bed of truck to tip of stinger). I should have taken pics - sorry.

He told me that basically, just connecting in that position begins to apply WD (I think he said that differently than what I inferred but it was something like that).

But I got "kicked out" of the service area so I couldn't tell you what he adjusted on the A-frame. I know for the stinger, it's a matter of taking it apart and inserting washers behind the huge rivet head then re-assembling the stinger.

Does that help?