Old 07-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1971 31' Sovereign
Watson , Louisiana
Repair Roof Small Screw Holes

I recently replaced my roof A/C because the old one was not working properly but that is another thread. There was a some metal flashing installed between the old A/C and the roof (first picture). I think someone along the way decided this was the proper method for securing the A/C to the roof. They put screws into the side of the A/C unit through the flashing and into the roof through the flashing. The flashing seemed to be bent at a 45 degree angle. The problem I have now is the remaining holes left by the screws from the previous A/C shown in the second picture. How do I fix these permanently? I did search the forums and did not really find anything that wasn't a patch. Should I rivet with caulk? Cover with Vulchem? Buck or Olympic rivets?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2878.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	162346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3004.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	162347  

Exsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Use Olympics dipped in Vulcum. You can also use a dipped screw if so inclined. Then, what I would do is clean up the roof panel area an paint it with white Sealoflex or Ceramaflex. That will increase the sealing of all seams and rivets as well as giving you some reflective insulation there in Louisiana.

"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We used olymic rivets and a dab of vulkum in each hole left by the old a/c. No leaks. The white roof coating will happen too - probably next year.

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1971 31' Sovereign
Watson , Louisiana
Thank you.

Thank you so much. And yes, I agree I need to put the white sealant on the top of the roof. I thought the silver might be the most reflective but that roof gets so hot. Olympics and Vulkum it is. I have a gallon of Henry Solarflex 287 white elastomeric roof sealant. Is that the roof sealer you are talking about?
Exsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
I could be wrong, but I would guess that there is a reason that flashing went as far out as it did when they originally put the AC on. I think it's partly due to supporting the unit and also to make sure there is enough overlap to keep leaks out. As far as the holes I agree with the dipped rivets, but if you ever replace the AC again I would use a large enough piece of flashing to match what was originally there.
I took my AC unit off completely, and used a large enough piece of flashing to cover the original footprint of the flashing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	162376  
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote