Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

FLOWER MOUND , Texas
Renovation Coach / Contractor

I’m a single woman that developed a love of Airstreams a few years ago. I have the opportunity to buy a 1971 Sovereign 31’ that is already gutted. I’m intimidated by the thought of doing this alone—I honestly don’t know where to start. I am willing to do the work, I just need a guide to get me started on each step and keep me straight. Does anyone know of someone who’d be willing to work as a renovation coach? I live in Dallas.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:30 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the AF. A project such as what you have outlined, is a big task for anyone.
Even those with previous rebuild experience.
I would suggest to you that some "deals" are better passed over.
Buy yourself a complete unit and go and enjoy the great outdoors.
IMHO Dave
QUOTE=TexiCaliGirl;2017959]I’m a single woman that developed a love of Airstreams a few years ago. I have the opportunity to buy a 1971 Sovereign 31’ that is already gutted.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

FLOWER MOUND , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Welcome to the AF. A project such as what you have outlined, is a big task for anyone.

Even those with previous rebuild experience.

I would suggest to you that some "deals" are better passed over.

Buy yourself a complete unit and go and enjoy the great outdoors.

IMHO Dave

QUOTE=TexiCaliGirl;2017959]I’m a single woman that developed a love of Airstreams a few years ago. I have the opportunity to buy a 1971 Sovereign 31’ that is already gutted.

Thank you - I appreciate that viewpoint.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

Are you looking for someone local, who can routinely visit and give guidance in person, or just someone who can answer questions online or over the phone?

What is the ultimate goal of your potential Airstream project? For example, do you just want an Airstream to go camping in? Do you intend to live in it full time. Could you be happy with a trailer with a "stock" layout, or do you intend to rebuild/reconfigure the trailer regardless?

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
My wife and I are living full-time in our 1971 Sovereign we restored. We're currently in Fairfield which is not too far from you.

I've restored several other brand vintage trailers, built seven teardrop trailers from scratch, and built an airplane in my garage. In other words, I'm a fairly handy guy. Perhaps I could at least help you get started.

Restoring an Airstream is not rocket science, but it is a big undertaking. A lot depends on the condition of the frame and subfloor.

Any chance you could post some photos?
TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome!

Be patient.. you will succeed. This is a big bite... but, we don't know your skill levels... which makes it tough to advise...

Depending upon the condition of any AS, various and many skills will be needed... and access to a credit card with nearly unlimited funds.

However, it is a good thing to keep these 'flying'... and I am sure we all applaud your hope and vision.. as well as the sense of accomplishment once you are "Airstreaming"!!

all the best!!

Oh, give us pics of the project Airstream... most of us have similar hopes of accomplishing your journey.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I am also a single female and very handy but I would not take up such a challenge and here is why. 1. I didn’t want to wait 3 or 5 years to wait to going traveling 2. Didn’t want to invest $50,000 to $100,000 of my money for materials, tools, parts, paying for things that I could not do myself, etc. 3. I don’t have a shop to work in while trying to restore the beast. 4. I don’t know enough friends that could/would come to help and didn’t want to wait for extra hands to come help.
I am not saying you can’t do it or shouldn’t do it, all I am saying is I spent my very hard earned money on an Airstream that was good to travel the day I bought it.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
1. I didn’t want to wait 3 or 5 years to wait to going traveling
Definitely agree!!!!!!!!

2. Didn’t want to invest $50,000 to $100,000 of my money for materials, tools, parts, paying for things that I could not do myself, etc.
Can be done for less but still expensive.

3. I don’t have a shop to work in while trying to restore the beast.
If you don't have shop space and tools this is a huge hurdle!!!!!!!!!! Trust me I'm living it, it SUCKS!

4. I don’t know enough friends that could/would come to help and didn’t want to wait for extra hands to come help.
Agreed, extra hands help.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

FLOWER MOUND , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Welcome to the Forums!

Are you looking for someone local, who can routinely visit and give guidance in person, or just someone who can answer questions online or over the phone?

What is the ultimate goal of your potential Airstream project? For example, do you just want an Airstream to go camping in? Do you intend to live in it full time. Could you be happy with a trailer with a "stock" layout, or do you intend to rebuild/reconfigure the trailer regardless?

Good luck!

All very important thought questions. My Airstream would be for weekend/vacation explorations only. However, I’ve decided to pass on this project right now. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 10-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

FLOWER MOUND , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDave View Post
My wife and I are living full-time in our 1971 Sovereign we restored. We're currently in Fairfield which is not too far from you.

I've restored several other brand vintage trailers, built seven teardrop trailers from scratch, and built an airplane in my garage. In other words, I'm a fairly handy guy. Perhaps I could at least help you get started.

Restoring an Airstream is not rocket science, but it is a big undertaking. A lot depends on the condition of the frame and subfloor.

Any chance you could post some photos?

TXDave - I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your reply. I’ve decided to pass on this Airstream for now, but someday...!
Old 10-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

FLOWER MOUND , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I am also a single female and very handy but I would not take up such a challenge and here is why. 1. I didn’t want to wait 3 or 5 years to wait to going traveling 2. Didn’t want to invest $50,000 to $100,000 of my money for materials, tools, parts, paying for things that I could not do myself, etc. 3. I don’t have a shop to work in while trying to restore the beast. 4. I don’t know enough friends that could/would come to help and didn’t want to wait for extra hands to come help.
I am not saying you can’t do it or shouldn’t do it, all I am saying is I spent my very hard earned money on an Airstream that was good to travel the day I bought it.

I’ve come to the same conclusion! Thank you for your response and thoughts - grateful!
Old 10-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

FLOWER MOUND , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
1. I didn’t want to wait 3 or 5 years to wait to going traveling
Definitely agree!!!!!!!!

2. Didn’t want to invest $50,000 to $100,000 of my money for materials, tools, parts, paying for things that I could not do myself, etc.
Can be done for less but still expensive.

3. I don’t have a shop to work in while trying to restore the beast.
If you don't have shop space and tools this is a huge hurdle!!!!!!!!!! Trust me I'm living it, it SUCKS!

4. I don’t know enough friends that could/would come to help and didn’t want to wait for extra hands to come help.
Agreed, extra hands help.

Yeah, not having the shop space was actually one of the bigger deterrents. Thanks for your input!
Old 10-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

FLOWER MOUND , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Welcome!

Be patient.. you will succeed. This is a big bite... but, we don't know your skill levels... which makes it tough to advise...

Depending upon the condition of any AS, various and many skills will be needed... and access to a credit card with nearly unlimited funds.

However, it is a good thing to keep these 'flying'... and I am sure we all applaud your hope and vision.. as well as the sense of accomplishment once you are "Airstreaming"!!

all the best!!

Oh, give us pics of the project Airstream... most of us have similar hopes of accomplishing your journey.

Thank you for the encouragement - greatly appreciated. I’ve decided to pass on this one. (Sighhhh)
Old 10-08-2017, 03:06 AM   #14
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Texicali, keep looking. There are very nice used Airstreams out there that really only need some minor updates that you could do on your own without the need of a shop or thousands of dollars in tools. When you fined an Airstream that looks good I would recommend asking one of the inspectors on this forum to come take a look at it for you, it is well worth the money spent. Even doing some mid level updates or upgrades will give you a big enough challenge to busy.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:57 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

FLOWER MOUND , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Texicali, keep looking. There are very nice used Airstreams out there that really only need some minor updates that you could do on your own without the need of a shop or thousands of dollars in tools. When you fined an Airstream that looks good I would recommend asking one of the inspectors on this forum to come take a look at it for you, it is well worth the money spent. Even doing some mid level updates or upgrades will give you a big enough challenge to busy.

Thank you! I will definitely keep looking and I like the idea of using an inspector, too. Thanks!