Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Jersey Shore Haven , Pennsylvania
Removing Dometic From '87 Excella

Greetings.

I have a 87 31ft Excella. Need to remove the non working Dometic Fridge. Airstream will not be traveling anytime soon as it as home in Jersey Shore Haven. Going to just replace with a compact for now.

Any tips or tricks on removing it ?

Thanx for any help from a great forum !

Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Seguin , Texas
There should be a down-loadable installation manual for your Dometic fridge on the Dometic website. You will need to know the model number. The installation manual should also instruct you on how to remove the unit.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
First remove the doors. This is necessary to clear the kitchen cabinets while you move it forward. You will have look close because there are several screws around the front edge that have to be removed. Some may be behind the control panel at the top. There are 2 large screws at the rear bottom that go into the flooring of the frig cabinet. Disconnect the gas line after turning off the gas.

Once the frig is free of all hardware push it into the trailer from outside until you can get a hold of it from inside. It is best to have someone on each side as you work the frig out.

If you have a moving quilt or heavy blanket fold it so it fits in the isle under the frig. I place a plastic milk crate on the blanket, just reaches the bottom of the frig and slide the frig out onto the milk crate. Now you can pull the blanket forward while your helper guides from the rear. It is a tight squeeze across the front of the kitchen cabinets but it will go with the doors removed.

If you are not putting the replacement frig in right away I would cover the rear vent door with plastic and maybe the top vent also to keep bug out of the trailer.

When you install the new frig you will want to seal the perimeter of the frig for the same reason. Remove the plastic on the vents so the new frig can vent heat.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
That's great HowieE and Pileus.. Thanx so much. Its still in "winterized mode" so the gas is off. I just need to cap off the gas line before I fire her back up for the season.
Again Thank You
Old 04-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Don't attempt to cap the gas at the point you removed the frig.
Break the connection under the trailer and cap it there. You don't want to run the risk of a leak inside the trailer

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Very good point..Thank You sir
Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Refer removal

Hello. I have a 1988 excella with a 6 cuft 2 way refer. When I removed mine for replacement there were 4 screws in the front, 2 on each side that were hidden by small plastic button type inserts. Remove the inserts and the 4 screws. From the outside in the refer compartment there were 4 large screwa that attached the refer to the floor. Remove these and the 12 VDC lines, also the 115VAC cord, the propane line. Before these steps make sure the batt are disconnected, Not pluged into shore power and the propane off.
As somepne already said remove the 2 doors by removing one of the hinges from each door. My refer had the controls on the botton and there were no screws there. Push the refer from the outside into the trailer a few inches and then finish removing it from it's cabinet from inside the trailer.
It will fit through the door without any further dismanteling.
Good luck happy camping nm1oqrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjf88 View Post
Greetings.

I have a 87 31ft Excella. Need to remove the non working Dometic Fridge. Airstream will not be traveling anytime soon as it as home in Jersey Shore Haven. Going to just replace with a compact for now.

Any tips or tricks on removing it ?

Thanx for any help from a great forum !
Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
I noticed there was a rubber gasket or lining material lining the outside edge of the reefer access door (mine is white in color). This gaskets seems old, worn, cracked and brittle. Where do I find a replacement and what kind of adhesive do I use to glue the material back onto the lip (to secure a tight seal with the reefer access door)? Do you know who might sell this?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Well I got her out. There were 2 large screws in the back behind the vent. One was easy, the other one not so easy. It was just in far enough , could not get any leverage. Ended up drilling into the wood next to it to loosen it up and got it out that way. 4 screws inside, and to be expected, 3 out easy, one not so easy. Used a pry bar to get over the lip of the carpet and wiggled it right out.

Thank you again for all your suggestions and tips.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
On my 86-32 footer there is about 16 inches from the back of the fridge to the side of the trailer. THIS is a total sauna,, Airstream really missed it here. I started with 2- 5" muffin fans mounted to the vent screen on the roof. this helped somewhat. THEN I read the Dometic installation manual.i did as instructed, basically built a false wall behind the fridge . Now it cools like never before!! yup totally worth doing, also jammed in insulation all aroung the space betweenn the side and top of the fridge. really a different animal now, and not much money involved for the 1/4" ply and cleats and insulation.
seeing as you already have it removed it's easy to do.
Howie's removal tip is spot on!