Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
Irvine , California
Removed inner skin

Hello,
I am a new owner of a 1976 31ft center bath sovereign. I am in the middle of ripping everything out including the inner skin. I want to replace it with wood panel. My question is:

After I remove all the interior panels -

Do I just install the wood panels or

Attach the wood to the interior skin I removed then rivet it back?

Any help will be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way I have renamed my trailer to the USS RAT SH_T. I have NEVER seen so much rat droppings

Jean
Henryck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hi Jean,

The inner skins are part of the shell support structure. As such, you should reattach them then attach your covering. While your down to the bare walls you should perform a thorough leak investigation. If you had siginificant vermin infestation you'll probaly find nest evidence between the skins, and in the belly pan areas so plan to discard existing insulation materials.

Keep us posted.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You could probably get away with the wood only as long as you attached it to the ribs well it would serve the same function as the inner skins. The inner skins are not attached all that well and I am somewhat skeptical that they do much for the structure. Now if more rivets were used and they were bigger rivets then they would be able to support the structure better. The inner skins that would provide the most strength are the ones in the curved ceiling areas.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome! I'd leave the inside skin on after cleanup and floor repair. Now's a good time to check out all three electric systems, and add another 120 volt line for a second air conditioner. Replace/add air conditioner drain lines now too.

I hope your wood body will be stored inside. These old Airstreams leak water like a homemade row boat. Be double double sure to do all the vent replacements, sewer vent seals, window gaskets, and seam sealing before even thinking about putting wood inside the skin. If not, after the first good day long rain, that wood will be ruined.

The one good thing I've found about Airstreams is that they don't have any wood in or on the body.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I would leave the inner aluminum skins in place also and cover them with wood if you want. The aluminum will give you a better support structure for cabinets than thin wood veneer would, especially as you shake, rattle and roll down the highways of life. Attaching the cabinets to the walls and "floating" them on the floor keeps them from getting jarred as much as we learned at the Resto Rally last summer. Good Luck!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote