Old 06-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
Enjoy Life

2011 30' International
Beacon , New York
Remove Caulking around teardrop side light

Hi, Just purchased a 2011 AS International Serenity in overall excellent condition. Wife and I love the contemporary interior which is immaculate. Little use over the years from speaking to previous owner. Have been meticulously cleaning every rivet and seam and gasket for the past three days with a hand brush, tooth brush and soft shampoo brush using Armoral car wash/wax and thorough water rinse. Plan on using Walberize Super sealant after cleaning the AS and hand buffing with a chamois or microfiber towel.
One problem. I noticed some hard dry “caulking” around two of the teardrop side lights. I detached the light fixture and tried to clean the hard caulking with no success. Did not want to take away the clear coat so I first used water and soft rag, then I tried mineral spirits paint thinner with no luck, then I tried denatured alcohol still no luck. I thought the hard crud may be an adhesive so I their Xylene and still no luck. Not sure if the blemish is oxidized into the aluminum. With all the rubbing I see I did wear away a small area of the clear coat 1/4” around the blemish.
Any suggestions? I do not know what else to do except sand with ultra fine wet/dry sand paper and wax several coats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS blemish.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	342728  

EzShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Did you try heat gun ?

rintintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
That looks like filiform corrosion to me. Use the search function and you can find endless discussion about it and how to take care of it.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote