Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Danielsville , Georgia
I bought a regulator with hose and hooked up the gas bled it out. and reconnected the 12 v and 110 v at first it did light up the gas light then out and did not come back on Then checked it on gas and auto but it as far as i can tell did not try to fire spark or click. I did run this test with unit off hold temp control down and turn power on hold temp 3-4 seconds and all the lights blink randomly and a couple of heavy relay clicks but not the igniter and i don't think the gas valve opens to start the gas.
I think the mother board might be defective .??

Old 09-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Danielsville , Georgia
For reference my fridge is a RM 2811 Dometic mid 80's
I wanted to be sure it cooled on gas or electric . So last night i made a 110 v test cord and plugged it into my heater element After not getting the gas igniter to function. I left it on all night about 12 hours and in the morning the freezer was 0 degrees and the fridge was 35 degrees.
So the cooling system works! now on to the gas system.
YouTube has a variety of videos ( Ford's RV Training & Service) is one that helped out

Old 09-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
Great, now you know the "unit" is good. For the gas side I would first remove the shields around the burner and clean and vacuum it. On a new to me one I remove the burner to do it well. If you remove it be carful not to damage parts. On the ones I've dealt with I needed to be connected to 12 volt for the igniter. However you can light the pilot with a match or grill lighter.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Danielsville , Georgia
So yes that's what i did next , I traced wiring to apply 12v to the gas valve and it clicked and opened so i had gas . After cleaning and blowing out with compressed air I reapplied 12v to gas valve and lit the burner i'll try a picture of it lit (So proud ) Remember to not delay lighting the burner immediately opening the gas valve
Also a picture of the mother board the top lighter blue wire is my test wire to yellow wire to open the gas valve.
I tried to test the igniter but could not get it to work ?
so i think i need a mother board and probably an igniter relay
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
A couple really big maybe s. The thermocoupler has to be in flame a few moments to get hot enough to generate the millivolts to open the valve. Is it possible by bridging the circuit you opened the valve before the thermocoupler could? The igniter tip has to be fairly close to the burner, the tip and the burner have to be fairly clean to allow the spark to arc the gap.