Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Enumclaw , Washington
Refrigerator seals too tight ???

Hi....the fridge on our 2011 AS...seals WAY too tight!! It has some sort of funky dig your fingers deep in the side of the door and then stand on the other side and jerk, jerk, jerk to get it open. Surely there has to be a better way. Has anyone replaced the door handles on their Domestic ??? Thanks in advance!
day tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
This may sound insulting but that's not my intent. Do you realize that the handles have a latch built into them to keep the doors from opening while traveling? Maybe your ripping the latch open. a gentle squeeze of the handle should release the latch and open the door.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, squeeze the release handles.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Enumclaw , Washington
Hi...no insult taken. We understand the purpose of the door handles...but there is nothing to squeeze. The handles are flush to the door and in order to open them you have to reach in behind them and push the latch that is keeping the door from opening. But the door has sealed sooooo tight....you have to wrangle the door open. You can hear the thing sealing as soon as you gently move the door to close. A high pitched squeal starts...and next thing you know it's a vacuum lock. I want real door handles....is that something that can be changed out ?
Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
My 2005 vacuum locks also. No way short of a paint scrapper are you getting my door open within 20 seconds of closing it. This is especially true for the freezer.

I consider it a feature!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Our replaced frig in our 2004 seals tight as well and I feel it's just the way the things are designed. Somehow, we manage; however, the "Better Half" frequently comments about it. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the freezer becomes hermetically sealed but the lower section should vent through the drain under the coils inside the fridge. check that the drain is not clogged between the inside of the fridge and the drip cup on the back of the fridge.

they must use the same gaskets as the ones that glue themselves to the windows ;-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
the freezer becomes hermetically sealed but the lower section should vent through the drain under the coils inside the fridge. check that the drain is not clogged between the inside of the fridge and the drip cup on the back of the fridge.

they must use the same gaskets as the ones that glue themselves to the windows ;-)
This reminds me. I used 303 Aerospace on my windows 2 years ago and they have never stuck since. Try that on the fridge gasket?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it might work. give it a try!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I don't know if home versus RV options have mingled much, but refrigerator/freezer and freezers sometimes have the added option to pump as much warm humid air out of the compartments before it can cause frost via an electrical cycle that begins the moment the interior light goes off when the door closes. We had a freezer that would not be opened for better than a minute after closing the door from that feature. Could that be the squeal you hear after closing the door?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Tight Fridge/Freezer Handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by day tripper View Post
Hi....the fridge on our 2011 AS...seals WAY too tight!!
Our freezer seals tight like that. We have to wait a while after closing it before we can open it again.

The fridge does not seal as tight, though.

A good seal probably helps you to keep the cold in, but it sounds like this is a bit much.

Have you called the manufacturer?

BTW, dznf0g, what is 303 Aerospace?
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
Our freezer seals tight like that. We have to wait a while after closing it before we can open it again.

The fridge does not seal as tight, though.

A good seal probably helps you to keep the cold in, but it sounds like this is a bit much.

Have you called the manufacturer?

BTW, dznf0g, what is 303 Aerospace?
It is a non-greasy or oily protectant with UV protection. I use it in place of Armour All. Much superior as a protectant for most anything rubber plastic, fiberglass etc. Doesn't attract dust. Works well on those pesky window seals, the propane lid, Classic rear bumpers, plastic vent and skylight covers.....everything plastic. Great stuff. It was designed for NASA for space stuff for the UV protectant properties.

Amazon.com: aerospace protectant 303

PS, I'd use it all over on your glass MH.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's the pressure differential created when the warm air you let in by opening the doors cools and contracts. Indicates a real good seal, which is what you want.

To test this theory put a straw or something in the door when you close it so it will allow outside air to enter. Then open it. If it's loose, it's the pressure differential.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Doug, many of us have fridges open to the outside through the water drain tube. On those, I don't think it's a pressure thing.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Doug, many of us have fridges open to the outside through the water drain tube. On those, I don't think it's a pressure thing.
You're right, there is a drain tube on the fridge, none on the freezer. The freezer sticks on mine from pressure. Could the fridge drain be plugged.
Try the straw thing.

doug k
Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You're right, there is a drain tube on the fridge, none on the freezer. The freezer sticks on mine from pressure. Could the fridge drain be plugged.
Try the straw thing.

doug k
On mine the freezer and fridge stick equally. I think it's a magnet/seal sticking scenario. Drain isn't plugged, ran like a river after a month of frost and ice buildup this summer.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
daytripper, if it's just as sticky with fridge off (room temp inside) then it's a seal question. If it loosens with the fridge off (room temp inside) it's an air pressure differential.

doug k
Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Enumclaw , Washington
Hi...to be honest we haven't tried it with the fridge off since we usually have it propped open to avoid any mold accumulation. Appreciate all the tips...will try some of them to see if it eliminates the problem. Along those lines...does anyone know if we can change the handles on the domestic ??
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
day tripper, my suggestion would be to go to the Dometic website. Seems they have all sorts of Q&A on the site.
Good Luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote