Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Deerfield Beach , Florida
Refrigerator Operation While Towing

I am having a problem keeping my refrigerator on using propane while towing. It works great at a campsite on propane but not while on the road. Does anyone have any input relating to this? Thanks, Dom
dominicjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Have you checked the baffle covering the flame?

Have you blown out the "chimney" above the flame with compressed air?
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I would have a qualified RV tech look at your setup (does not have to be an AS tech, any "reefer qualified" RV tech should be fine.) It's possible that something in your system is causing the igniter to fail to work when the trailer is moving (could be caused by air movement.) Your fridge should work with propane as you are moving.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I know this may sound crazy, but five years ago I had the same problem with a SOB box trailer. It turned out that the trailer batteries were totally dead. With new ones the fridge worked fine. I learned this from a member of another camping club who had the same problem about the same time.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
I know this may sound crazy, but five years ago I had the same problem with a SOB box trailer. It turned out that the trailer batteries were totally dead. With new ones the fridge worked fine.
Doesn't sound crazy at all. You need battery power for the thermostat to work.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
About 5 or 6 years ago, I had had an issue with the refer in a LY moho while heading south for the winter. I had stopped at a Camping World and they referred me to a local repair facility, where they found it to be a defective board. They changed both boards (the control one and the igniter module) and I remember them showing me that when on propane, with the cover open, they blew compressed air at the flame and the igniter immediately relit the flame. As well, make sure that the terminals connected to the modules are on snug, particularly the two ground terminals.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Same problem solved: got piece of perforated aluminum maybe 12" by 18" and put it inside the outer access door to refrigerator...it allows heat exchange, but reduces gusting during travel. Rjack
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Check to ensure you have adequate pressure after the regulator on your propane tanks.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
If you have original ref. there is a opening under floor covered with screen wire, wind will blow out flames, also these ref. did not have automatic lighters only twist spark igniters also electric. Make a scoop like on airplane nacelles, to span hole in floor, open at back angled from flush at front to back with sides closed then pop rivet on. This was a fix that I did in 1967 then everybody that had this prob. made one. Later yrs. had vent in out side cover with flame enclosed in box with heat element inside. If any one has trouble lighting with twist spark igniters, pm me with ph. #, I'll explain how to light with out spark igniter. Serv. centers or dealers don't want you to no how to do this no profit involved for them., it is very simple and very safe way as former AS factory repair man showed me how, been doing this way for yrs. Also water heaters before automatic ignition had twist spark lighters, simply use propane lighter such as for charcoal or gas grills, saves repair costs and trips to have repaired, but when lighting this way keep face out of way as with any lighting except reefer because flame is enclosed
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We do run our refrigerator when traveling, but a few years ago we put the AS on a ferry and were required to shut down the gas. It was a long, overnight trip- maybe 9 hours or so- and everything was just fine in the refer and the freezer. The AS was out of the sun and the ambient temp was cool, but at least I'm now confident in the insulating properties of the refrigerator.