Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ely , Minnesota
Refrigerator Issue

When I turn on my refrigerator the Auto light and the LP light both come on. I hit the button that should allow me to toggle between Auto and LP but both lights remain on. I have the LP source shut off as I want to just use the electric option. I can hear the LP trying to light (I hear a repeated clicking noise) and eventually because the LP source is shut off I get an LP flashing light indicating that I am out of LP. How can I get the Auto function to light up but not the LP function?

Thanks for any advice and input.

Bert
bertheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi Bert,

Sounds like the fridge doesn't have 110 VAC, so it's trying to run on propane. Are you plugged into shore power? If yes, check to make sure the fridge is plugged into it's 110 VAC outlet and that the outlet has power. Might be a tripped breaker.

The Auto function will try to run on electric, but if it doesn't sense 110 VAC, then it will default back to gas.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If after you test the receptacle and have 110 volts there and while the frig is unplugged look at the 2 fuses on the control board.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I thought when you are in the Auto mode and you have AC hooked up that it will automatically default to AC. I also have a couple of questions. First when you mention both lights are you referring to the little dots. If so it has been my experience that they both come on initially. I also had a similar experience the other day with LP flashing. It was looking for the propane which I did not have on at the time. I turned the tanks on and restarted the Refrigerator. The LP letters stopped flashing, however, the refridgerator defaulted to electric (you can tell by the placement of the dot) and the displayed showed the number 60. this is the default number when first turning the AC. Also remember if it is hot as it has been here in MD it will take awhile for that number to start dropping.
I just don't think it is an electrical issue if the refrigerator light turns on inside the door and the display lights up.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Ely , Minnesota
I did the same thing, I turned on the LP and the LP light stops flashing, but it never defaults to the electric. Both little green dots are still lit up. I can't seem to get if off the LP.
bertheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I am no electrician so I usually try the old trail and error method. The only thing I can think of is go back to the basics. If you have checked the fuses and they are good and you are not camping I would turn the propane off and see if the freezer maintains temp. If it does you at least know the electrictiy is working for the freezer. If the freezer stays cold you have at least isolated the issue to the refrigerator and/or the switch that works between the electric and gas. Also could it be possible a board or relay is bad. Maybe some one will have other ideas on how to test it.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote