Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
mje
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Refer quit working!

My Domestic 8cu ft refer stopped working on the beginning of my last camping trip and I lost most of perishable foods in it. Gas does fire up when turned on but produces no cold air. Not sure where to check - it's about 2.5 years old. Any advices? Thanks!
mje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Does it work on AC and/or do you get any error messages on the display?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
I have an older unit but it requires the trailer to be relatively level to work on LP gas. Make sure your Airstream is level then see if it works.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The Dometic warranty period is 3 years. If you are unable to easily troubleshoot and correct this problem, do not delay in seeing an authorized Dometic service center.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mje View Post
My Domestic 8cu ft refer stopped working on the beginning of my last camping trip and I lost most of perishable foods in it. Gas does fire up when turned on but produces no cold air. Not sure where to check - it's about 2.5 years old. Any advices? Thanks!
If your LP is burning and heating the boiler section ( the vertical silver tube on the left side of the unit at the rear) and you are not getting any cooling, it sounds like you might have a blockage in your cooling unit which is preventing the proper flow of the heated ammonia thru the cooling unit.

A quick check is to open the outside door at the back of the fridge and place your hand on the horizontal cylinder to see if it's warm. Then feel the lowest coil right above that. They should be about the temperature of the unit is operating normally.

If not, your Dometic warranty should take care of installing a replacement cooling unit.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:52 AM   #6
mje
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Update on Refer

I wanted to give you all an update since my post of an issue with my refer. I tried everything short of taking it out and "burp" it. I decided to take it to the local Airstream dealer to take a look at it. It turned out that the cooling unit is broken and was replaced under warranty. Thanks for your help and input here and in PMs.
mje is offline   Reply With Quote