Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Tigard , Oregon
Recommended Airstream Service in Oregon

Hello fellow Airstream owners,

I have a 2012 Airstream Flying Cloud that is in need of minor service. My local dealer has been disappointing and I am looking for recommended service and repair facilities within 100 miles of Portland, Oregon.

My coach is in pretty good shape. However, it is stored outside and I want to have it checked annually for leaks. I also want to have a couple of rivets replaced. I just want to have a good service mechanic that I can trust my Airstream with who can get familiar with it and maintain it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
OR_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
I think you are pretty much out of luck given the 100 mile requirement. The dealer in Idaho, Washington and Northern CA are all owned by the same entity. If it makes you feel any better the home office of all 4 is located where you have been going and they do recognize they need a larger facility as the current one is totally over maxed and beyond. Last fall I was told that they may be on the trail of a larger facility that would actually be closer to where you are in Tigard.

Sorry I couldn't give you a clear direction.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
George Sutton in Eugene.
curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Please tell me more about George Sutton? I was "okay" with the local dealer when I had to put the new AC on last fall, but would really like to find a place where I feel like I can develop a better connection.

I don't mean to trash the local dealer in any way. It is just the location really sucks....backing up a 5 lane road with oncoming traffic because the incoming space is filled with trailers and UPS trucks... Different service writers every time I call in, no returned calls, etc. The service was spot on and in as timely a fashion to meet my schedule as could be so they are not a bad place to go. Just crazy busy in a bad location.

So some place not so overwhelmed would be good to know about.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
You might try calling Willamette Wine Country RV in Dayton 971-267-2130. I had work done by an independent rv repair facility about a mile away. They would have the number it has been over year ago don't have the name or number but they did good work for me at a reasonable price.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Develop the relationship with your local dealer. If they do good work, you are golden. That dealership is one of five - Bosie, Seattle, Portland, North and South SF Bay. When the SF dealership had issues, the management from your dealership saw that changes were made. Different service writers are not a bad thing. Bad or unreliable service is a very bad thing. Maybe a brief talk with the Service Manager would help.

We have a very good independant shop that would meet your idea of a good solution. Look at the Long long honeymoon video on repairing their floor. Vinnie is great, but he is well and truely backed up, or at least was. He has a new shop and may have more capacity now. In any case there are good people outside the dealership network, but the leverage and capability of the NW group should not be discounted. Having your coach close to home is a real help too.

Developing a relationship is key. So you are on the right track. What works for you and makes your RV experience a success is obviously the right goal. Good Luck! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
RE George Sutton. I’ve only used them for parts but have heard positive things about their service. I agree with all you said about the dealer in Gladstone. They do good work but the location is pretty bad.
curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
"George Sutton. I’ve only used them for parts but have heard positive things about their service. I agree with all you said about the dealer in Gladstone. They do good work but the location is pretty bad"

Others have not had great experiences with Sutton. I know the location in Gladstone is challenging in some ways but we have been so happy with the service there. The location is not anywhere near enough to get us to stop going to Airstream Adventures NW. We think they are great
twestover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Airstream - Other
Port Orchard , Washington
Has anyone in the Portland area worked with SILVER BULLET TRAILER in Vancouver, WA?

https://www.silverbullettrailer.com/
inthralled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
Independent dealer in Eugene Oregon. Quality Coach Services ask for Robert or Amber. Probably the best most reliable honest independent RV service provider you will find anywhere. I have had many services done on both my Airstream and other coaches. It is within your 100 mile perimeter. Just Google quality Coach Services you will get their name and number. You can also check out there reviews and verify what I am saying.
mrdfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Tigard , Oregon
I called Silver Bullet and spoke with the owner. It is a small shop and the owner says he mainly focuses on restoration projects. He seems nice though and I did make an appointment for mid-May. Owner also said that most RV repair facilities are reluctant to work on Airstreams because they are an expensive liability if something goes wrong. I didn't realize that it would be so difficult to have my coach serviced.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:42 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Tigard , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdfred View Post
Independent dealer in Eugene Oregon. Quality Coach Services ask for Robert or Amber. Probably the best most reliable honest independent RV service provider you will find anywhere. I have had many services done on both my Airstream and other coaches. It is within your 100 mile perimeter. Just Google quality Coach Services you will get their name and number. You can also check out there reviews and verify what I am saying.
Do you have the name and contact information for the independent dealer? I would like to consider using him in future if he is willing to work on my coach. It is important that I establish a relationship with a shop and ultimately have them be the sole repair/maintenance shop on a going forward basis.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Tigard , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdfred View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curnes View Post
George Sutton in Eugene.
George Sutton is who I have used in the past, since I had trouble with Airstream NW. They lost several of their senior service guys a couple of years ago and I have heard from a staff member that the service is no longer what it used to be. However, I would use them before going back to Airstream NW. They actually did considerable damage to my coach both on the day of delivery and when I took it in for warranty work.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Tigard , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
I think you are pretty much out of luck given the 100 mile requirement. The dealer in Idaho, Washington and Northern CA are all owned by the same entity. If it makes you feel any better the home office of all 4 is located where you have been going and they do recognize they need a larger facility as the current one is totally over maxed and beyond. Last fall I was told that they may be on the trail of a larger facility that would actually be closer to where you are in Tigard.

Sorry I couldn't give you a clear direction.
It is disappointing to me that Airstream NW now has a monopoly on the Airsteam market in the NW, as they are difficult to work with and have a poor reputation. At least they did several years ago. I am reluctant to use them again in any of their locations.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR_Airstream View Post
It is disappointing to me that Airstream NW now has a monopoly on the Airsteam market in the NW, as they are difficult to work with and have a poor reputation. At least they did several years ago. I am reluctant to use them again in any of their locations.
George Sutton is awesome. Repaired our trailer after a crash. Great service and quality.
baldbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
George Sutton.

Hi, George Sutton has always been good to us.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by curnes View Post
George Sutton in Eugene.
We have been to George Sutton a couple of times (no service work) but sales and parts have been amazing. I would guess that their service would be on par. It’s worth a shot!
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR_Airstream View Post

This is who I use in Gladstone OR. They sold the trailer to me and have yet to have to do service. Although the experience was longer than I would have liked to purchase our trailer it has been great. Sorry to hear that you have had issues there.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote