Old 07-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
A Not About Camper Clinic in Buda

We just returned from a tree week trip, and one of the stops on the trip was at Jackson Center, OH...highly recommended for any Airstream owner, or future owner. While we were waiting for the tour to start, we spent some time looking around the parts store, and I remember seeing the special allen head screws and special shoulder nuts for sale for I think it was $5.75 a pair (could be wrong by a few cents, but not much), and I thought at the time I should buy some of these as you can only get them from Airstream, and I've had them come apart on previous trailers.

Should have, but I didn't, and low and behold one came apart farther on in our trip. Like before, I took one of the bolts out of the second step to get the top step working, and just used the top step for the rest of the trip.

Sorry about the long post, and here's the meat of the story....when we got back, I called Camper Clinic II in Buda, our closest dealer, and they had the bolts and special shoulder nuts. I told them to send me two of each.

They charged me for the two screws $13.52. For TWO 10-32 SCREWS! They charged me for the two "Hinge Pins" $11.64...well they are common only to an Airstream. But wait, there's much more....they charged me $5 for packing! What packing? They put them in an envelope! Of course there was tax...no problem, but then there was $11.50 "Special Handling"! What???? A Whopping Total of $44.15 for two screws and two "Hinge Pins", and then to top it off, one of the "Hinge Pins" is bad because it was never tapped at the factory.

That's it for me with Camper Clinic II. I wouldn't urinate on them if they were on fire!

Sorry for the rant....well, no not really, I meant every word of it.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I guess it's just an issue of trading shipping for price, though the kit from ODMRV has the screw, hinge pin and 2 different sorts of washers or spacers. The net price with tax and shipping would probably be the same by the time it gets to you.

Step hinge pin kit, ODMRV

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I've got a 2008 Classic and I'll have to check my step. Can these bolts be secured by Locktite?

I checked the nuts on the awning parts and some of those were loose.

Guess its a good idea to check fittings every few months.

Kelvin
Old 07-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I've got a 2008 Classic and I'll have to check my step. Can these bolts be secured by Locktite?

I checked the nuts on the awning parts and some of those were loose.

Guess its a good idea to check fittings every few months.

Kelvin
Yes, Most of them do have a thread locker on them, although it's not Locktite because it's white, at least on our trailer.

I took them all apart, about half came apart easily, and then re-installed with blue Locktite.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I guess it's just an issue of trading shipping for price, though the kit from ODMRV has the screw, hinge pin and 2 different sorts of washers or spacers. The net price with tax and shipping would probably be the same by the time it gets to you.

Step hinge pin kit, ODMRV
Maybe, but that "kit" includes two special washers. I just got basically the screws and nuts, and one of those is bad.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
More experience with Camper Clinic II, Buda

After I learned the '08 34' we bought about a month ago was part of the hydraulic brake recall, I called Airstream and they confirmed by serial number that it had not been brought in for the recall.

Since CCII is my closest dealer, I called them to setup an appointment to get the work done. They in turn called Airstream to confirm, and to order parts, and then called back later to tell me the parts were in, and to set up an appointment, which was for yesterday a 9AM. (all of this took about two weeks to setup) I even called them to reconfirm the appointment day before yesterday.

I got to CCII yesterday morning at 8:45AM, and what a surprise, no one in the shop knew anything about me coming to get the work done. When told about it by the office people, the shop foreman starts yelling and stomping around because he had to change some of his work schedule around. Obviously the people in the office do not communicate well with the people in the shop.

Anyway, I was told the job would take three hours. It took six hours. They had blown a fuse they could not find. They wanted inside the trailer which is one of the things I did not want them to do because they get the whole thing filthy, so I went in and checked the breakers, and none were tripped. I told them that, but the tech who had been working on the trailer insisted on going inside with all of the dirt and dust all over him from working on the brakes all day, got everything in the front of the trailer dusty and dirty, only to confirm that as I had told him, none of the breakers were tripped.

Then the tech calls his supervisor who also confirmed no tripped breakers, but figured out the tech had blown a 30 amp fuse outside the trailer near the brake actuator. Fuse was replaced, and I was on my way.

When I took the trailer in, there was a slight delay of the brakes after the truck brakes were applied, and I had read on the net in troubleshooting the Actibrake actuator that indicated the system needed to be bled. Now I have a FOUR SECOND DELAY in the trailer brakes.

Obviously they did a poor job of bleeding the brakes which is part of the job as the rubber brake hoses had to be replaced. I called them back, was told the shop foreman would call me, but he hasn't yet.

Sorry about the long post, but it's sort of a long story, and the last verse is I will never go back to Camper Clinic II, no matter how far I have to drive to get service work done.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Based upon the nightmare stories of the brake conversion attempts by the local "experts", I would only let Jackson Center do that major of a conversion. It would be close to 2,100 miles each way, but getting it installed right the first time is worth that effort to drive there. I would also schedule a full "check her out" inspection.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Based upon the nightmare stories of the brake conversion attempts by the local "experts", I would only let Jackson Center do that major of a conversion. It would be close to 2,100 miles each way, but getting it installed right the first time is worth that effort to drive there. I would also schedule a full "check her out" inspection.
Actually, it wasn't a conversion, but a warranty recall to replace the rubber hoses on an existing hydraulic disc brake system.

I called Airstream today, and asked the tech department what they thought the problem was, and they said, "air in the system".

So, with my wife helping me, we bled the system today, and now I have awesome brakes. It still does have about a 1/2 second delay, but the stopping power is just amazing. I've never had brakes like this on a travel trailer, and I've been towing them since the '70's.

Camper Clinic II in Buda just didn't give a damn enough to do a good, thorough job. I'll never go back there.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Actually, it wasn't a conversion, but a recall to replace the rubber hoses on an existing hydraulic disc brake system.

I called Airstream today, and asked the tech department what they thought the problem was, and they said, "air in the system".

So, with my wife helping me, we bled the system today, and now I have awesome brakes. It still does have about a 1/2 second delay, but the stopping power is just amazing. I've never had brakes like this on a travel trailer, and I've been towing them since the '70's.

Camper Clinic II in Buda just didn't give a damn enough to do a good, thorough job. I'll never go back there.
I'll just be very cautious about what I say about CCII ... but, we have had very bad experience (on several occasions), have seen and experienced very poor behavior by the person scheduling Service appointments in the Service Department, and saw a very bad thing done to another RV by a Tech as we were leaving with our Airstream in tow. I would explore all other options if bound by a warranty, and if not tied to a warranty repair, I would absolutely utilize another very good Service Shop just 45 minutes north (TOP here on the Forums).
Old 12-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Sometimes, some Airstream mechanics feel that they know more than they really do, and then blunder on with that sentiment.

Airstream, at one point had terrific service schools.

Unfortunately that schooling has almost died.

That leaves a mechanic, that really wants to be top notch, learn the hardest of ways.

Some make it, all to many don't.

Before any owner uses a shop to work on their Airstream, they might be wise to ask around a little bit about the history of any given shop.

That won't always work, but it's a good head start.

Then, an owner must also keep in mind, that no shop, not even Airstream, is absolutely perfect.

Things happen, as we all know, and sometimes, it's no ones fault.

The measuring stick then becomes what steps and how that service center stepped up to the plate to make a correction.

Part of the enjoyment of owning an Airstream, is how it was taken care of, and many times, by who.

Sometimes, as we all know, it's impossible to satisfy every owner 100 percent, in spite of a top notch effort, simply because we do not live in a perfect world.

Andy
Old 12-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
I'll just be very cautious about what I say about CCII ... but, we have had very bad experience (on several occasions), have seen and experienced very poor behavior by the person scheduling Service appointments in the Service Department, and saw a very bad thing done to another RV by a Tech as we were leaving with our Airstream in tow. I would explore all other options if bound by a warranty, and if not tied to a warranty repair, I would absolutely utilize another very good Service Shop just 45 minutes north (TOP here on the Forums).
Airstream warranty work, must be done at an authorized dealer according to Airstream.

When the coach is out of warranty, then it's the owners choice as to what service department they use.

Andy
Old 12-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
the stopping power is just amazing. I've never had brakes like this on a travel trailer, and I've been towing them since the '70's.

Yeah, getting that DODGE down in speed is helped quite a bit by best TT brakes, ain't it? I request the shop adjust the brakes on one of our 15k trailers to handle the usual 21T load placed in it and there is no substitute for great trailer brakes. The tractor stops itself and the trailer handles itself.

Sounds like now you know how it is supposed to be. Congrats!
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I have had mixed experience with CC-II. The last work I had done on my 2005 Classic with them was to repair the attachment of one of the segment protectors where it was pulling loose at the top behind the propane tanks. Recently on a trip through Louisiana, the segment protector they had worked on flew off while we were traveling around 60 MPH. Fortunately we were able to pick up the bent up segment protector and proceeded to Foley RV in Gulfport, MS. i was impressed that the service department at Foley's RV was able to straighten it out, install two new brackets that were torn up and had it installed in less than two hours. The tech at Foley's RV said the repair done previously (at CC-II) did not use large enough rivets to secure the segment protector properly.

This experience has shown me that I cannot depend on the work at CC-II.

Dennis